Why the secrecy?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by PhlangePhace, Mar 18, 2006.

1. PhlangePhace

PhlangePhace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    OK, so we have numerous threads where people are claiming to have clues to the price of the SkyHD box and subs and likely launch dates....

Well I can understand the secrecy around the launch date, whether it be a 'soft' launch or 'full-on' launch.

But I am starting to get a bit paranoid as to why there is so much secrecy around the pricing.
    Although HD is very much anticipated by many who are reading these forums, at the end of the day SkyHD is just another step up in home entertainment technology and I can't imagine that the price is going to be too restrictive.
    I wouldn't be shocked to see the £299 + £10pm 'guess' to be near enough right.

So...the topic for today is... Why the secrecy? :confused:

Is it purely to get us 'early adopters' worked up into a frenzy?

2. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    if that is the case-it has worked!!!!!!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I don't think it's secrecy as such, SKY have never given a specific date and if they are going to launch when they are ready the final price of the STB may have been affected by issues which tied in with any so called "delay".

As for the sub well perhaps that to is fluid and what TW and the BBC do in the time period before SKY+ HD launches may still be a factor.

Once SKY confirms hardware and subscription prices there is no going back and if something happended to effect their costs in a negative way they would have to choose to either lose face or lose money.

4. RealWorld

RealWorld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think they have been keeping the launch a secret,when they get working boxes,and enough of them they will then quote dates.

This is why dealers have not had there demo units and the date that the boxes will be moving IS MAY.

Sky can't launch a service if they can't get the boxes,and THEY HAVE NEVER QUOTED DATES apart from 2006

5. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    It has been more specific than that.
    It was "early 2006" for quite a while, and James Murdoch recently announced to the City that it will be Spring 2006. He was specifically asked asked timescales and he said that it would be launched BEFORE the World Cup.

The longer we go without a date, the more likely that there has been a delay with set-top boxes. I think they should have gone dual-supply with Pace, which would have helped.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    First rule of business, never show your cards to the competition until you're ready to run. Murdoch may be lots of other things, but he is a very shrewd businessman.

7. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

The Sky web site http://www.sky.com/hd/thankyou has, for some time now under "News", stated "Sky is on track to launch Sky HD in the first half of 2006". To me this means that they have not yet begun their launch of HD (but clearly they are preparing for launch) and that launch is expected to take place between now and June 2006. Since that has been a consistent message then I am happy to wait for the launch to begin.

8. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,352
    I think that we, forum chit-chatters, have hyped everything up ourselves. Now things are at a fever pitch to the point some people have become slightly agressive in their 'debating'.

I think Sky aren't really that far from launch. They are still on track to meet the 'hazy' time schedule they've given. Yes if they are having some difficulties behind the scene than they are entitled to keep quiet.

I'm dissapointed and frustated as anybody else. I bought a Pio 436 just before Xmas in anticitpation of HD. I have difficulty in justifying costs to my family and friends without a 'better' picture than my Sony CRT!

But if within the next month or so OR at least before the world cup they release it then I'm happy.
    (Happy only with £299 STB BUT NO Sub if top package)

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +776
    The latest issue of 'what video and widescreen tv' speculates on a rumour that the fee for it's hi-def channels will be waivered for users who sign up to the full pack of basic and premium channels, (as they did with Sky+). Thing is, I'm sure that initially enough people would be prepared to pay an extra £10-15 on top of their current full sub costs that they don't need to do this. Especially if boxes are to be in short supply.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I can say hand on heart that is the case:)

However there will come a time when the uptake levels off and then the marketing incentives will come into play and one thing is certain, the SKY business model based on current subscription packages/prices are not as secure as they used to be.