Why the Phone line

G

Goatface

I live in a flat which is pre wired with Terrestrial and Sky. I am not able to connect to the cable network which really sucks because I work for ntl....:rolleyes: Anyway my quetsion is why do Sky insist on the Phone line connection for the Sky STB? Is it to pair the Card and STB or what. Because I dont have , nor want a phone line yet as I get all the free calls I want from my Mobile. But Sky dont seem to want to sell me a Sky+ box if I dont have a phone line. Why, whats the big deal. I know everything still seems to work without it as I tried it on my father-in-laws STB. I wont even require an install fee, I'll do it, But Curry or Comet will let me buy one???? Apparetly I gotta have it connected to a phone line for a year. Do they try it on install. If I lie and let an installer put the box in and plug it into the dead phone socket will he know? I can just say the must be another outage today or something.

Why???

SKY make money from people using the services which require a phone connection, that can't happen if there is no phone connection so making it part of the deal means that a small percentage of people will generate some revenues via the phone.
Also the SKY+ T&C's allows SKY to collect viewing data (Not been implemented as far as I know) and a phone line is required for that.

If you don't want a phone connection then don't take the install deal from SKY, buy the SKY+ from a retailer and arrange installation with an independent installer or if it is just a plug in job then you don't need any special install.
Your flat is prewired but does it have two cables connected to the dish?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom