Why the Phone line

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Goatface, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a flat which is pre wired with Terrestrial and Sky. I am not able to connect to the cable network which really sucks because I work for ntl....:rolleyes: Anyway my quetsion is why do Sky insist on the Phone line connection for the Sky STB? Is it to pair the Card and STB or what. Because I dont have , nor want a phone line yet as I get all the free calls I want from my Mobile. But Sky dont seem to want to sell me a Sky+ box if I dont have a phone line. Why, whats the big deal. I know everything still seems to work without it as I tried it on my father-in-laws STB. I wont even require an install fee, I'll do it, But Curry or Comet will let me buy one???? Apparetly I gotta have it connected to a phone line for a year. Do they try it on install. If I lie and let an installer put the box in and plug it into the dead phone socket will he know? I can just say the must be another outage today or something.

Why???

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY make money from people using the services which require a phone connection, that can't happen if there is no phone connection so making it part of the deal means that a small percentage of people will generate some revenues via the phone.
    Also the SKY+ T&C's allows SKY to collect viewing data (Not been implemented as far as I know) and a phone line is required for that.

If you don't want a phone connection then don't take the install deal from SKY, buy the SKY+ from a retailer and arrange installation with an independent installer or if it is just a plug in job then you don't need any special install.
    Your flat is prewired but does it have two cables connected to the dish?

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It also helps stop people using illegal boxes on the network.