Why the obsesion with panasonic in this forum?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by ennerdale22, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ennerdale22

ennerdale22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    title says it all really, dont get why every other thread is panasinc based when there tvs are nothing extra special.

is this not just brand name snobery,

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Because they're good and cheap?

3. chemphysics

chemphysics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The simple fact that they are so popular indicates that the general readership believes they do the job better than the competition - one might thus conclude that the general readership disagrees and believes panasonic plasmas generally are something special!

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Perhaps initially, but the general consensus seems to be the value for money aspect is not lost on most buyers, and any foibles can be lived with moreso than the cheaper alternatives.
    Of course, your opinion differs - and that's fine, so long as it's for the right reasons and not purely a case of bucking the trend.
    Bottom line, when a company gets something mostly right, it's pretty much a given they'll reap the rewards for doing so.

5. yetanotherbob

yetanotherbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have personally got a bigger kick out of these TVs (42PX70s) than I did from my first Plasma which cost me 4 times as much only 4 years ago. And at that price I really did worry about whether it was absolutely perfect and if I had done the right thing.

Now at only £800 for a 42" with a PQ that compares very favourably with practically everything else on the market I couldn't care less if it was called a "Mildred PE5" :D so it's definitely not brand snobbery

They're an absolute steal in my opinion :smashin:

Bob

6. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    How would Panasonic be so popular if they weren't, just... really good?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I can assure you it's not retailer driven, there is absolutely no margin in them, we sell them because they result in satisfied customers with minimal comeback.

8. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Yes they are. Or at least I think mine is!

9. merlinski

merlinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brand snobbery, lol.

Well by very fact you have attached that phrase to Panasonic means you hold the brand in some position or other in your mind, if it truly were all about that I think Pioneer would be the hot brand around here.

Price and performance make this brand popular, nothing else.

I actually also hold Samsung in very high regard, as well as Pioneer.

10. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Because they are the best money can buy in their price range?
    They are definitely much better than any Samsung out there. :D

11. MartinCollinson

MartinCollinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It is probably just a function of the fact that they are the volume player in the market. They produce a very good product and price is to sell with a low margin high volume strategy. That means there are simply more people who have Panasonics than say Pioneer.

Samsung, Philips et al who do price at a similar level to Panasonic simply don't produce as good a product at present IMO.

Given Pioneers stated strategy of premium pricing for the new 8th gen panels due out soon and Panasonic staying in the volume end of the market I would not expect to see any change on the thread count any time soon.

12. Yannis

Yannis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Pioneer still makes the best plasma screens out there as far as i am concerned but Panasonic makes great ones also and they are cheaper too.

That said i would probably pic a 42PQ96HD instead of a 42PX70 right now cause it has 3 HDMI , anti reflective screen , no purple snakes and while the picture quality seems comperable (according to first tests/reports) , it's also cheaper.

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    The Panasonics are excellent, only the very, very picky would find fault with the Panny screens, where as you can look at any other brand and there are things that they do wrong that lots of people would notice, for example the Pioneer screens have a poor black level so for me don't even get in the running, as soon as a dark scene arrives I hate the things, compare that with a panny and all it really does wrong is have a bit of noise in the dark area, which you can only see when a foot from the screen, I can live with that.

The Pansonic consumer range, the PX70 etc. are pretty good, a bit soft on SD (but that isn't a bad thing really) and the in built free view is really poor, but put Sky or similar on it and it is very good screen. The commercial range, the PHD9 etc. are stunning, superb colours, very sharp, and complete adjustment so you can get a picture you like. I have yet to find a screen to beat it, I would also argue whether the fuji is worth over twice as much, when the Panny was £2200 and the fuji was £2600 it may have been, but £1000 vs £2300??

I can see why people buy the Pioneer over the PX range of Pioneers, but really can't see why they buy them over the comercial range?

All the talk has always been about panny cause they are the best, they haven't changed for 5 years or so, look at a PW5 and a PW9 and they look preety much the same, that is saying how far ahead they were from the competition. Things are changing however, the new Samsung screens are looking alot better and I bet the next batch willl be extremely good, the new Pioneers should be stunning if the hype is to be believed, and if that is the case it will then be all about Pioneer.

At the moment it is all about Panasonic as they are the best all rounders out there, and for a change the best is not also the most expensive, go into the projector forum to see what a premium you have to pay for the best in there!!

14. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Until i got the PX600 i was a huge Panasonic fan but after experiencing purple snakes, even with the latest 04 boards hearing how countless others are still getting Purple snakes, hearing how some new PX70 owners are getting purple snakes .......... i dont think Panasonic are that good any more as their quality control is kak.

You lot are getting sick of me moaning on about it but to me paying £1700 just for a tv is a huge sum of money and you expect it to be perfect for so much money.

The PX60 and PX600 are not purfect as they have purple snakes on them. if i got a cheap supermarket brand CRT i would never see purple snakes but on the mighty Panasonic tvs yep you see purple snakes ...... yet you guys still call them "good tvs" ?

You buy a colour tv for colours and NOT poxy purple snakes, from what i've heard none of the other tvs (Samsung, Pioneer) have suffered from purple snakes etc, that proves they are BETTER than Panasonic.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    The purple snake thing was a balls up on one of their ranges, that has gone.
    Just because other screens have not suffered from this does not make them better, god look at the Samsungs from a generation or two ago, banding and posterization that made it look like painting by numbers, far worse than any purple snakes and people didn't even complain! Becuase it was a cheap screen it was accepted!! :eek:
    The pioneers have some sort of horrific smearing going on, wwould you be happy with that??

At the end of the day I still say the Pansonics are the best all rounders, as do most people. I have tried all the others and they don't come close, and those that shime in one area let you down in another.

I know people who have bougt an ML as their first Merc, and then slag off Mercedes and say they are terrible cars, Mercedes make some of the best cars in the world they just happened to buy a pig!
    It happens. :smashin:

16. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Jetinder, I can understand why you would be disappointed with the Purple snakes on the PX600 having spent £1700 which is a lot of money to most people (although it sounds like you haven't tried the 04 board yourself and I'm not sure where these PX70 rumours come from) but if you think a cheap supermarket brand CRT, that has no purple snakes, is therefore a better picture than a Panny plasma, you're just undermining your own argument. Purple snakes is a serious issue for sure, but some perspective needs to be applied here.

17. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi Choddo

Until the PX600 I watched CRT tvs all my life and never saw purple snakes on them, it was a case of switch the tv on and that was it, you watch the tv.

With the PX600 i was told its "new technology" and is "better" than "old" CRTs........... so i bought it, thinking it was better than a CRT or better than Samsung or Pioneers plasmas. But the fact that even with 04 board PX600s still show purple snakes, yet even a cheap "old technology" CRTfrom a supermarket doesnt proves that Panasonic's quality control is a pile of kak.

We all need to get the purple snakes issue fixed.

Apart from the purple snakes i love the PX600 as 95% of the time its a great tv, but when those purple snakes come you want scream at how much money you spent on a tv which is meant to be "perfect" but its not as even in black & white movies those purple snakes come back.

I heard one or two PX70s have purple snakes from a post some one made on one of the PX70 threads.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    But CRTs had convergances and geometry issues that everyone moaned about. I bought a Sony that looked more like a 3D movie at the edges the convergances was so bad, but when I swapped it I bought another Sony and really enjoyed it.

You have bought a dog, I would be on the phone to Panasonic to get it sorted. But you can't say Pansasonics are bad, just because the screen you bought is.

19. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    So did I. What I also did was watch a small (32"), flickery screen, with some
    nasty digital artefacts at 100Hz and flickering at 50Hz. Know how much it cost me? £1700. I still really liked it but it was far from perfect.

A lot of people have stated the 04 board has largely resolved their problems. I think the fact that Panny plasmas rarely break down would suggest Panasonic's quality control is quite good (a design issue does not really count as poor QA)
    Agreed but I'd be haranging them for a new screen personally.
    And that's the key - 95% of the time is pretty high compared to a supermarket CRT which would be rubbish 95% of the time.
    Not really remotely compelling evidence, compared to the number of PX70 owners & the relative numbers & photos of px60/600 complaints

20. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The PX600 is the first flat screen we ever had, i never had any worries on CRTs.

Your right my PX600 is a dog and panasonic are trying to fix it but if they cant then i will want my money back or a new tv. i dont want to get conned by them saying its "with in specifications" when they admit that purple snakes are a problem, so its not with in specifications".

I'm not the only one suffering with purple snakes if you look at
    :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394430&page=346

you'll see this a world wide issue, so from that side i feel Panasonic are not that good.

You never hear of issues this bad with Samsungs or Pioneers.

21. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Noone said you were the only one suffering from purple snakes. In fact both Giz and I said it's a major problem on the 6xx sets.

Don't imagine Samsungs & Pioneers don't have issues just cos you haven't read the threads.

22. MartinCollinson

MartinCollinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Steady now - I think you are getting a tad carried away :) The dirty screen issue affects some of the Pioneer 427 range - I have the 507 and I have seen very few reports of any issues with this set. Mine is 100% problem free (and yes I realise I just tempted fate!) and am delighted with it.

I looked at a LOT of sets when I choose my Pioneer - including the Panasonic range and Fujitsu and FOR ME it was the best option. With the Panasonics iit was close but the overall package let them down, cheap materials, poor build quality and the reports about purple snakes etc put me off.

What I would say is that when you say other don't come close I think you are pushing things a bit. In terms of PQ most people (and I mean normal punters not the average user of this forum) would be hard put in a blind test to tell the difference between a well set up Pioneer, Panasonic or Fujitsu set given the same lighting and picture source. To say nothing comes close to Panasonic is just wrong as far as I am concerned - and I put my money were my mouth is by buying a Pioneer set so there is at least one vote saying the Pioneer was for me the better all round option.

23. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    no brand snobbery at all.

If i had stuck to my usual brand snobbery i would have bought a Sony LCD!! (big sony fan)

However for price/quality at this present moment in time the PX70 panny range is a steal!

Thought my px70 was faulty the other day - i'm sure i watch Milan beat united 3-0 - nearly sent the tv back! thought it was broken:eek:

24. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Can you elaborate on that? I'm looking to pick up one of the new Pioneers once they're released, and hadn't heard anything about them smearing. (I do remember my Panasonic PX60 smearing things though)

25. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Just do a search for Pioneer and dirty screen effect.

My 507xd doesn't do it either, might just be affecting the current 427 i think.
    Don't worry, absolutely no connection with the new series.

26. TheAlfieNoakes

TheAlfieNoakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reaction to this post says it all really..

Seems the question has some "troll" like tendencies....

27. ennerdale22

ennerdale22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seems the question has some "troll" like tendencies....[/QUOTE]

yeah whatever that means......

i agree the px70 are good tvs for the price, but i think the very latest plasmas are very comparable and having been to about halve a dozen shops testing the new samsung ps-42q97 i think its a much better tv all-round.
    Its cheaper,sligtly better all round pq(better picture detail,better black leves), more inputs(3hdmis,1 of which is on the side,very handy for game consoles ect..), better design(admitedly thats just my opinion) , also theres many more features and custizable things!!.

glad the px60 was brought up though, its prob obvious that i do have a bit of a chip on mi shoulder towards panasonic, ive just returned a 42 inch px60 cos of purple probs, not snakes though.
    When i first recieved tv pq was amazing(very sharp and smooth detailed images), but on certain dvds and tv progs purple snakes would appear, so i got the fix done and most purple snakes where gone,
    BUT in getting rid of snakes the allround pq was reduced(images becoming a bit soft compared to how it was) and there was a faint but noticable purple hue(sometimes fizzing) where snakes once where.
    and now having tested the px70 in shops it seems the pq is about the same as the px60 was after the so called fix(dboard change), Dont get me wrong pq is very good compared to most other plasma under £1000. but when you no there is a fault however minor you notice it every time it appears.

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

Hold on a minute, I said they were the best all round set, not the best set full stop.

Although I would never take a Pioneer over the commercial range of Panasonics, they have more depth because of black levels, more natural colours (but need calibrating properly) handle motion better and have a real crt feel and allow you to put what inputs you like in them.

I undertsand that the it is the 427 that has smearing problems, and that was my point, you can't tar the whole range with that brush.
    In the same way you can't say all Panasonics are bad because of the PX60.

29. bighfishing

bighfishing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    nothing wrong with the px60 , everybody thought they were fantastic when they first came out , in general they have improved panasonics reputation.

30. ennerdale22

ennerdale22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im pretty sure your kidding!!!!!

right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.