1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Movietyme site is so bad

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Dave_W, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Dave_W

Dave_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there are many answers to this one but one of the most annoying things to me is the download of the homepage. It took such a long time tonight that I had a closer look at some of the images.

Basically I ripped out the largish Crouching Tiger cover and the small last of the mohicans one. The results?

Crouching Tiger 18.5k !
    Last of Mohicans 3.5k (thumbnail size image)

this seemed to be taking the pi$$ a bit so I loaded the images into Fireworks and optimized them to 4.8K for crouching Tger and 1.7K for last of the mohicans. The naked eye cannot spot the difference.

Now if they did that for the whole site it be a hell of a lot less painful to navigate!

ggrrrr....methinks they have employed someones 13 yr old son to design the site when he's not at school!

Shame really cos the company and service are great.

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at their site once as they get a lot of recommendations on uk.media.dvd. But it seemed to me at the time I had to register, they had to call me for a password or something. Which altogether seemed like too much hassle.

And don't the disc links add things straight to your shopping basket?

It's been a while. Hope I'm not confusing them with somebody else I tried who wanted photocopies of the front/back of my CC faxed to them !!!! Give over!

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

3. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave and Stuart.
    Movietyme is a small company who, because they do things right, have grown to be very successful.
    Because they are sucessful, people have the same expectations as from much larger companies like DVD Express, Amazon and Play247.
    Part of the Movietyme success, is possibly due to the fact that they haven't invested tens of thousands in their website. Instead they focus on low prices and fast delivery. Now if they invested in a megga brilliant website and put a couple of quid on all DVDs to pay for it, and delayed all DVDs by a couple of weeks cos they're too busy working on the website, I bet you'd be complaining about their high prices and lousy delivery times.
    They are well aware of the shortcomings of their website, but balance the limited resources into building up their business the best way they know how.
    It means you get DVDs priced well (most of the time) delivered promptly (most of the time).
    Considering the above I can put up with some minor inconveniences on their website for a while. Perhaps you should take a moment to look at the bigger picture.

Oh and before you start going on about other DVD websites having a groovy site and cheap DVDs AND decent delivery, remember that to get a decent site takes considerable investment. A company with such big investments may be more vunerable to cashflow problems (cos they have big debts to pay off) and you end up with the problems experienced by DVD Express or worse, DVD Plus. I feel safer placing my order with a company who I know is trading without massive overheads or debts. A minor point, maybe, but DVD e-tailing is low margin, high effort stuff. I expect to see a few DVD e-tailers pack up this year as the highstreet shops with massive buying clout sell loss leaders. E.g. 2 DVDs for £25.

4. Dave_W

Dave_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasnt trying to dis Movietyme....I did say that there service and prices are excellent and I would use them over any of the "Big" retailers anytime. You also get a much more personal service from them.

I also agree that some companies will probably go to the wall this year and that Web Designers in general have a lot to do with .coms going out of business with there charges. I am currently setting up a design business and have been shocked at some of the charges that Web Agencys can get away with.

Its just that with a bit of quick tweaking the site could be a lot more user friendly. I actually like the general layout but the loading times are ridiculous for us mortals on 56k modems and this is something easily attended to with the right software.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Funny. [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

6. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You're lucky my BT line at home is so sh*te I have to use my mobile.
    I wouldn't mind, but I work for the damned company.

Still at least they give me a free mobile.