Why the lack of DLP RPTV's ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by evolution400, Nov 24, 2004.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I just got back for the USA and was amazed how far ahead they are, I went to curcuit city which is kind of like comet but double the size.
    In their TV section they had about 5 different DLP LCD proj, 5 different RPTVs and another 5 DLP RPTV's !
    I am stuck between the Axium and the Optomoa out there I would be spoilt for choice !
    Check the web site for details of the great choice !
    Are the LCD RPTV's meant to have better picture than the std DLP ?
    http://www.circuitcity.com
    Shocking !

2. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    DLP is thought of as better then LCD rear pro but in the states LCD is meant to be catching up but i think that the DLP technology is going to be ultimatly the winner with the much better black levels...........
    hope this helps

3. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick to DLP !!! For your own peace of mind, go look at a Samsung or Sony LCD Rear Pro (like their GrandWega) at Comet or Currys (at the latter, you can compare it to the Samsung SP50L7 £3,500 cool looking but impractical pedestal DLP TV) - you'll see for yourself what Welsh113 and I are saying.

PS. If you think CircuitCity are good - go check out www.tvauthority.com - even more DLP choice - with great - and more importantly - independent owner reviews!

Enjoy.

I've got my money on an SP46L3 AND Optoma RD50 (i'm buying both).

Krishna.

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you buying the Optoma in the USA or U.K?

If you buy it in the U.K i would choose the Optoma RD50, it's the top of the line right now.

Don't buy Optoma if you are living in USA as they use the HD2 chip only, the European version got HD2+.

I think they are going to release the RD50a version with HD2+ in USA soon.

I would not choose Sagem because it lacks HDCP, very important in the future if you want to feed content-protected digital movies or feeds to your TV thru the DVI interface, without HDCP all you will get is a black picture if the TV-channel is broadcasting it with the flag set on.

I would not be surprised if Sky Broadcasting sets HDCP on all their HDTV channels when they start their HDTV-service in 2006.

5. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizzard, Thanks for the kind advice.

JUst to let you - and everyone else know the good news - I'm talking about a UK Optoma RD50 (ie with HD2+ chip) and a UK SAMSUNG (not Sagem) SP46L3HX - which is absolutely stunning picture quality (i'm one of the few UK people to have seen the picture on this HD3-based TV -and yes -it's as good as - if not better than the Optoma!).

Watch this space for more info.........also, my ex-business partner may - I repeat may - be able to get the Samsung DLPs for anyone who wants - and at a good price - unlike all these electrical retails websites who promise "in 3/4 weeks time" and then find they have nothing!!

K.

6. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Krishna,

Could you explain why you think the Samsung SP50L7 is impracticle?

Is it because of its size?

I think it looks great and has a great picture, although, I may be missing somethimg bad?

Cheers,
    Allan.

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The opinion is different among people, I think it looks pretty ugly with the silver pedestal, it is impractial because it lacks wheels under the glasplate it stands on.

8. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    is the Samsung HLP4600W basically the samsung SP46L3 ??? or do they have an even newer model, its just that i was reading some customer reviews on the site you linked ...

http://www.tvauthority.com/readreview.asp?prod=2484&dept=42

if so id like to provide this link for some great large photos of the unit..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4BdOMq6O3IZ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=154650&id=morephotos&i=305HLP4663

hope this helps.. if not a least it looks very simular to the UK model :rolleyes:

9. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinelanguage - YES - the SECOND link is EXACTLY what my Samsung SP46L3 looks like - and the US equivalent is as you've stated in the link - HLP4663
    Nice work....

10. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the Sagem Axium an older Optoma unit?