1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the huge price difference !!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by torimusic, May 27, 2004.

1. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me why there is such a huge price difference between a single chip DLP projector and a 3 chip projector ?
    Surely it can't be that there are two extra DMD chips in the 3 chip machine. I'm sure they are able to churn out DMD chips a dime a dozen.

I would appreciate any comments from people who have studied up on the subject. Cheers.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is pretty tough to misalign a single panel with itself...... alot easier to do with 3 panels. I suspect alot of the cost is a manuacturing cost, not a material cost.

ad

3. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Design costs, mass production, different optical system, TI keeping 3 chip systems (The board that controls the DMD chips) high priced, competition, everybody's mark-up for limited product choice, etc, etc, etc.

Saying that though, whenyou think a good 1 chip HD2+ projector costs aprx £5,000 and the Infocus new release is going to be £20,000 , the theory, if I'm right, is that you are payoing £5,000 more for all of the above which I suppose is about right.