Why the hate of IPS?

MrMister111

I’m looking for a 65” TV, my 1st 4K one. Thought I’d found one within my budget if £1000, with a few of the things that I want. The 65SM9010. The specs seem really good and future proof. Has the in built apps, Apple integration, Dolby Vision HDR that Apple and Netflix support etc that I want.

However on other threads on here, and elsewhere they all say don’t get an LG as has an IPS and the contrast and blacks are poor.

Are the NanoCell TV’s really better than the standard LCD ones? Is it marketing or is there really something to it?

I’ve never had an HDR TV, and didn’t know much until reading a lot (mostly on here) about what should get.

I don’t want an OLED, and people say LG are only interested in those now. LG must be selling LCD’s though, as see a lot and still making them.

So LG people! Are they that bad? Is the above model that bad for contrast and blacks? It has local dimming (FALD).

What about the above model? Any others?

simon194

I have a 2016 LG model and I find the screen is OK but does benefit from being properly calibrated. The only gripe I have is the top/bottom edge backlight which is a geature of the older panels.

Can't comment of Nanocell panels because I've never been in a position to compare.

I probably won't buy another LG set because I would like my next TV to support all current HDR formats and LG refuse to support HDR10+ because they say their Active HDR mode introduced in 2018(?) does the same thing.

MrMister111

I have a 2016 LG model and I find the screen is OK but does benefit from being properly calibrated. The only gripe I have is the top/bottom edge backlight which is a geature of the older panels.

Can't comment of Nanocell panels because I've never been in a position to compare.

I probably won't buy another LG set because I would like my next TV to support all current HDR formats and LG refuse to support HDR10+ because they say their Active HDR mode introduced in 2018(?) does the same thing.
Thanks for reply. When you say properly calibrated, do you mean professional or just messing with the settings to suit yourself?

The new LG have ISF mode which looking around seem to be good.

The LG 9010 has full dimming, but read about and some say still has bleed etc, none are perfect don’t think.

I’m leaning to LG because I want Dolby Vision HDR that Samsung refuse! None seem to support all, but DV has Netflix and Apple

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
If its LCD you want stick with Samsung, they've invested heavily in it whereas LG has moved over to OLED.

Nanocell or quantom dot or whatever they call it is marketing talk but there is clearly a difference between them and the lower end lcd models.

I used to have a top of the range JS series Samsung from 2015, it was far superior in every way to a newer but low-mid range Samsung which we got for the bedroom. LGs lcd offerings at the time was somewhere in between the two but inferior to the top end Samsungs.

Late 2016 we got an LG OLED and that was superior to all the above on every level but the price.

MrMister111

If its LCD you want stick with Samsung, they've invested heavily in it whereas LG has moved over to OLED.

Nanocell or quantom dot or whatever they call it is marketing talk but there is clearly a difference between them and the lower end lcd models.

I used to have a top of the range JS series Samsung from 2015, it was far superior in every way to a newer but low-mid range Samsung which we got for the bedroom. LGs lcd offerings at the time was somewhere in between the two but inferior to the top end Samsungs.

Late 2016 we got an LG OLED and that was superior to all the above on every level but the price.
I don’t want an OLED at the moment. I know what you mean about marketing guff, but I believe that the NanoCell is actually different to the standard LCD, isn’t it similar to the QLED technology?

I probably would have went Samsung, but I want Dolby Vision HDR as I have Netflix and a lot of Apple iTunes movies.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I believe that the NanoCell is actually different to the standard LCD, isn’t it similar to the QLED technology?
I'm not sure if it is. If the difference is as profound as Samsungs QLED and standard lcd, it should be very noticeable.

Unless people on here can advise, I'd suggest comparing them side by side before purchase, difficult to do instore so perhaps worthwhile to find a dealer who will allow a home trial/good refund policy.

I am sure i have read somewhere in the recent past that a lot of panels for the major manufactures where made by a single manufacture so it may only be the CPU and softwaere that differs if its true and kicks a lot of the arguments out the window.

MrMister111

There are 2 types of LCD - VA and IPS each with positives and negatives, read a lot in here.

But IPS (in recommendations in here, and elsewhere) seem not to like the IPS for the poorer blacks and contrasts.

Liammck

Standard Member
I don’t want an OLED at the moment. I know what you mean about marketing guff, but I believe that the NanoCell is actually different to the standard LCD, isn’t it similar to the QLED technology?

I probably would have went Samsung, but I want Dolby Vision HDR as I have Netflix and a lot of Apple iTunes movies.
I went from a standard 2016 4k lg model to the nanocell sm9000 and its a huge upgrade.
Even the Mrs noticed at the improvement and she's usually oblivious when she's watching sd channels instead of the HD channels.

MrMister111

I went from a standard 2016 4k lg model to the nanocell sm9000 and its a huge upgrade.
Even the Mrs noticed at the improvement and she's usually oblivious when she's watching sd channels instead of the HD channels.
That’s good to know, I believe the SM9000 is basically the same TV as the SM9010 I’m looking at, just region difference? (I’m in UK).

So you think it has a good picture? How about contrast and blacks, and the poor dimming that is mentioned?
  • Netflix
  • Amazon
  • Disney+
  • Apple TV
  • The list goes on.
For me DV was a must when looking to buy a TV in 2020.
Exactly, that’s why Samsung is out for me. I thought Amazon was in HDR+ camp though

Last edited:

greentg

There are 2 types of LCD - VA and IPS each with positives and negatives, read a lot in here.

But IPS (in recommendations in here, and elsewhere) seem not to like the IPS for the poorer blacks and contrasts.
ITS panels do have poorer blacks, but are, as a rule, better off-axis than VA (Vertically Aligned) panels. So, depending on your viewing conditions, IPS can be the better option.

Nanocell, is just LGs name for "Quantum Dot", SONY call theirs "Triluminous". The main difference is that Samsung tend to use that technology in their higher range VA panels, hence the better picture quality. Samsung also employ a special filter in their QD panels to improve off-axis viewing, in an effort to give you the best of both worlds.

Liammck

Standard Member
That’s good to know, I believe the SM9000 is basically the same TV as the SM9010 I’m looking at, just region difference? (I’m in UK).

So you think it has a good picture? How about contrast and blacks, and the poor dimming that is mentioned?

Exactly, that’s why Samsung is out for me. I thought Amazon was is HDR+ camp though
I think the only major difference is the full array local dimming on my version, which helps the contrast and dimming a bit and is the reason I went for this version to help combat the poor darks.
It's not too bad but with a few tweaks in the settings I've gotten it so I'm happy with whatever content I'm watching from different sources.
But bright scenes are really really good and is where the TV excells

MrMister111

I think the only major difference is the full array local dimming on my version, which helps the contrast and dimming a bit and is the reason I went for this version to help combat the poor darks.
It's not too bad but with a few tweaks in the settings I've gotten it so I'm happy with whatever content I'm watching from different sources.
But bright scenes are really really good and is where the TV excells
The LG site states the 9010 has full dimming pro as well?

65SM9010
DISPLAY
  • Display Type NanoCellScreen
  • Size (in.)65
  • Resolution 3840 x 2160
  • Nano Cell Display Yes
  • IPS Panel Yes
  • Viewing Angle Wide Viewing Angle
  • Wide Colour Gamut
  • Nano Cell Colour Pro
  • Biliion Rich Colour Yes
  • Dimming Full Array Dimming Pro
  • Ultra Luminance Ultra Luminance Pro
  • BLU Type Slim Direct
  • PMI (Picture Mastering Index)3,800

Liammck

Standard Member
The LG site states the 9010 has full dimming pro as well?
Apologies, I was getting mixed up with someone mentioning a sm8000 on another thread.

But yes, I love it anyway. Maybe side by side with another brand may bring up the not so great blacks but I got this during lockdown so bought it on the specs.

bertha

Any thoughts or experience of the panel for this model? LG 86UN85006LA?
There's a thread on this model already that I'm following but just in case with particular thoughts or experience towards the panel used for this model...I believe it's an IPS panel? cheers :)