Why the flight to AV amps with HDMI?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by peskywinnets, Aug 3, 2006.

1. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Presumably the HD scalers in these early versions are going to suck canal water through jaded underwear?

Are most buying HDMI equipped amps, purely to save a couple of component cables going from the AV amp to the TV?

won't better results be acheived by having the AV amp switch HD analogue video, pass it to the TV over component cables & then let the TV do the HD scaling?

Why don't we have grassy knolls in the UK? So many questions....

2. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Quite a few of the amps are straight pass-throughs for hdmi, its a cheaper and tidier overall option than a seperate amp and hdmi switcher.

3. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    But surely HDMI 'pass though' is only useful if *all* your sources are on HDMI? Else you're still going to need to run other video cables from the amp to the TV (eg RGB or component), or directly from the video source to the TV.

This makes for a lot of remote controls & numerous permutations/actions for the wife to follow if she wants to play a CBeebies DVD for the kids!

Therefore until everything you have (eg DVD, PVR, Xbox, Satellite etc) has an HD HDMI output, it still makes for a messy solution?

Surely better to feed everything as analogue (video) into an AV amp (ev HD), let it do the switching & feed the analogue out to the TV?

This means one place for all your audio/video switching then & no 'compromises' with scaler resolution incompatibiliies? (ie between AMP HDMI o/p & TV native resolution)

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i think a simple answer is people dont want to buy new amps every 3 or 4 years if they can help it....by having one with HDMI now means relative future proofing for when devices are only equipped with HDMI outputs in 3 or 4 years time.....(may not happen, but could...specifically things like consoles or computer graphics cards etc, but potentially simple user sources like hifi level disc players)........also having the HDMI input/outputs means you have more available sockets for higher quality input, so you have HDMI, plus component.....

5. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Ive just started from scratch, buying kit.. and I thought I may as well get stuff that has HDMI, rather than stuff that doesnt... I didnt previoulsy own any legacy av stuff.

I know my version of HDMI (1.1) is already out of date!!.. but at least ive got some form of connectivity between devices... surely the important one is the one to the screen anyhow, as all inputs can be upscaled, how good depends on the receiver you have.

Im no expert though..!!

6. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Think there's a lot of smoke & mirrors surrounding this issue!

My Plasma has HDMI & DVI inputs (both HDCP enabled) so hopefully there's an element of futureproofing there (ie should devices eventually be sold with no analogue video output...only HDMI).

But until *everything* in your rack has an HDMI output, to be buying an AV amp with either HDMI pass thru *or* analogue upconversion is likely to resuilt in either a compromised picture quality &/or a convoluted number of actions on different remote controls!

Best is surely to have an amp that can switch HD quality analogue & sending this 'switched video' on to your Plasma/LCD (so long as you're happy with the scaler in there).

I guess it's horses for courses, but I'm still not grasping the rush for HDMI!!!

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    but in cheap to mid priced amps, you are only going to get 3 component inputs at the most due to the space they take up.......whereas a couple of HDMI's can be added in, will provide a step up from S-video regardless....giving you more flexibility.......also means you can output via HDMI to one display, and to another via component......which for me is useful as i own a projector...lol

8. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As ever - fine points....damn it :D

The AV amp I'm actually considering has three HD component inputs & I only have two video sources - so it doesn't affect me (even have room for one more there), but I can see why this might sway someone towards the upconversion AV amp (providing the scaler is of good quality & output resolution matches the native resolution of the screen)

Thanks.

9. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi,

I can see the thinking behind this, for most people they only want to run one cable to their screen or projector, and HDMI cables are relatively small and discrete, this way when you switch inputs, say from satellite to DVD, then the AV amp switches both audio and video for you, carrying out analogue to digital conversion in the video domain, upscaling, then sending this onto the display device via HDMI.

You are, of cours, at the mercy of the AV amp supplier to put in not only a first rate deinterlacing chipset like Faroudja DCDi, but also a first rate Analogue to Digital converter for the video and a good quality scaler. I fully expect to see AV amps in the near future featuring the likes of Faroudja DCDi with Realta HQV chipsets, but I suspect this kind of spec will be restricted to the £2K + market for quite a while, given that the likes of the Vantage HD scaler is around £2K on it's own.

As to whether an AV amp will match a dedicated scaler, there is no reason why not, but you will still need to get all the fudnamentals right to make it perform as well as a stand alone scaler, so expect very high end AV amps from Denon and Pioneer to lead this field, with maybe Arcam in the mix, and everyone else following with cheaper, simpler implementations.

I guess the real key is to make sure your display has both HDMI / DVI and high quality component inputs, use the best cables you can afford between the AV receiver and the display, and then make a decision as to whether to use the analogue scaling in the AV receiver or the display. Right now if I was having a projector custom installed, I would insist on having RGB, Component and digital cables run to it in order to get maximum performance from each item of video equipment regardless of it's preferred video output format.

Best wishes,

Dave
    Best wishes,

Dave