Why the DS is the best games machine ever made

Is the DS the best games machine ever made ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Shut Up

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Salt and Vinegar

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

INSOMANiAC

Ex Member
Reaction score
Surely the DS is set to become the biggest gaming phenomenon in decades.
They sell millions of the little swines every month.

Nintendo press release;

"While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week, with 515,000 units sold across Europe last week, which is not only the highest weeks sales since the console’s launch but also the most any console across all formats has ever sold in a week! Nintendo’s handheld phenomenon has taken Europe by storm since its release in March 2005, with over 8.5 million consoles now sold across Europe. "

Half a million in a week in Europe alone !. Not bad for a handheld thats approaching 2 years old.

Of course the DS Lite completely revitalised the machine. The original DS is ugly, bulky and geeky but real gamers dont care about that. The Lite is for the 'ipod generation' as well as being more portable. Do not underestimate the power of the lites brighter screen too. The graphics are brighter and more 'alive' than has ever been seen before and it only adds to allure.

But surely the biggest thing the DS has achieved is a brand new audience.
Im one of those many people with the,

'I cant get my mother (or) girlfriend off Animal Crossing (or) Brain Training"

Stories.

The touchscreen completely reinvented the way we can play games. Females of a certain age and other similar mammals are scared of joypads. They look at them and only see a random mass of nobs and sticks (if your male imagine looking at washing machine control panel . Its the same phenomenon)

It has achieved something no other machine may ever do. It has made my mother miss the beginning of Coronation Street. I need say no more.

£66 for a DS lite in the US. I may be tempted to finally pick one up when i go next month :D

The gameboy was a phenomenon the DS is Just a pretender. PTth colour screens are for girls greyscale is where its at.

But seriously the DS is fantastic but too say it's the best machine ever made is ripping the pee a little, for games nothing beats the 16 bit era so many franchises that are still going strong today stem from those days.

I don't think we will ever see that level of creative games making ever again that was when guys like miyamoto,yuji naka and Yu suzuki really pushed the hardware and the ideas within games

some of the games from companies like Rare,codemasters,Capcom,sega and even electronic arts were sublime.

The DS hasnt had that long a time to shine though and it hasnt been fully utilised by many developers yet.

Obviously in terms of number of classic games it doesnt stand up to the nes, megadrive or snes. But in the context of introducing new audiences AND new ways to play games it has achieved more than another machine (IMO).

£66 for a DS lite in the US. I may be tempted to finally pick one up when i go next month :D

lol, you're gonna come back a Ninty Fanboy at this rate, what with thinking of buying a Wii out there aswell:laugh:

But seriously, I'd get both while you're out there, the good thing is you'll already be making good use out of the DS Lite on the flight home;)

Oh, as for the poll, as much as I really do love my DS, I had to vote no. Sadly it sounded a bit blunt voting NO, but at the moment I really do feel the Xbox360 is the best gaming machine ever made, I just love the thing!

Having said that I do think the DS Lite is an amazing handheld, out of the hadheld consoles I would say it probably is the best.

but at the moment I really do feel the Xbox360 is the best gaming machine ever made, I just love the thing!

Having said that I do think the DS Lite is an amazing handheld, out of the hadheld consoles I would say it probably is the best.

I'd agree with both sentiments Tetlee but the former one has just been struck a blow. My 360 is dead. boowooo... :( I blame that Rainbow update. :mad: whatever, it's a telephone call & fingers crossed I can wrangle a new one out of M$, I've had it since launch you see with zero problems. In the meantime there is a certain Zelda winging its way over pretty soon so at least I'll be able to give that the full attention it deserves until a replacement can hopefully be arranged. :rolleyes:

In terms of software line up, I do feel that it has the best since the DC. Just like Sega's ill-fated console, it's a gaming machine for gamers - with lots of fun and innovative titles.

As great as the DS is, i'm afraid i'm also gonna have to say No. Personally, i think the best console ever made was the Playstation with some absolutely legendary titles.
I suppose the same could be said about the NES and SNES but as gaming consoles go, i think it is pretty hard to beat the PS.

...it's a gaming machine for gamers - with lots of fun and innovative titles.
That's exactly the key to its success. At its very core, it's a machine for playing games on. It doesn't have the (superfluous) multimedia features of the PSP, and is more affordable because of this.

The games are available reasonably cheaply, and the DS is the first machine I can think of that genuinely offers something for everyone - young and old, male and female, without alienating any group.

The title of best games machine ever made might be a bit premature, but it's certainly the best in the last decade or more. I haven't had this much fun since the days of the original GameBoy.

Playing on the DS when I first got it gave me the same buzz as my import Super Famicom did back in the days - By garrr its been a while :cool:

Hey RS I've got Nookingtons up & running now. I'll be on later 10-11 tonight, so I'll leave the gates open.

:spam: :lesson: Use the animal crossing thread you swines ! you're interrupting an important scientific poll which will eventually determine the DS to be the greatest machine ever to be created after the toaster. :rolleyes:

Amiga 500, Dreamcast then DS for me :D

Xbox 360 is a close 4th though.

The games are available reasonably cheaply, and the DS is the first machine I can think of that genuinely offers something for everyone - young and old, male and female, without alienating any group.

Very true. There are plenty of games for kids (Super Mario World, Nintendogs), partners (Brain Training) and us (Animal Crossing, Elite Beat Agents, Castlevania, Mario Kart...)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom