• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Why Such A Price Diffrence Between 55 & 65 ?

JPace

Can anyone explain why there is such a price diffrence?

55 C7 = £3,000

65 C7 = £4,500

So that’s roughly a 18.1% bigger screen for a massive 50% more?

Or is it simply a way to increase your profit margin on the bigger screens that people may pay extra for?

Nicholars

Banned
Probably if people are buying them in large enough quantities, then they will keep selling them at those prices... people must be buying them or they would lower the prices. 65" is "premium" size now and 55" is "mid range" size.

Nicholars

Banned
Also it is not 18% bigger the area of the screen is 40% more than 55".

So actually the price is almost the same as the increase in size, screen is 40% larger, price is 50% more.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
And the delta between the 40% area increase and 50% price increase is because the 65" panels are harder to produce which means more are binned, as evidenced by the 65" models suffering more from the dreaded banding.

Rob20

55 C7 = £3,000

65 C7 = £4,500

Or is it simply a way to increase your profit margin on the bigger screens that people may pay extra for?

I guess it's a number of things:

- Firstly that demand is small for a 65" tv: I don't know a single person who has such a large tv outside of this forum. My brother has a 60" but only in his cabin in his garden. Even though he could afford it, he won't be spending more than £1,500 on his next tv and he was saying he'd seen a 70" LCD for near this amount.

- It seems that LG are still struggling to make large OLED panels as the 65" sets seem to have more screen uniformity issues than the 55" or they are more visible. With high per panel manufacturing costs and low demand sets are priced at a premium.

- Then there is the fact that 65" sets are mostly bought by AV enthusiasts or the wealthy who or less 'price elastic' and will be prepared to pay more than the general public to have a 65" screen rather than a 55". If demand is small you need to maximise price as you don't have a large volume of sales to make a profit on.

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to spend £1,500 extra just to have a 65" screen rather than a 55". A £1,000 difference is about as much as I would be prepared to accept. Perhaps the 65" is to be considered a 'decoy' product to make £3,000 for the 55" seem 'cheap' to consumers!?

My next tv will most likely be a 55" and I will wait for the tech to improve and larger panels to become cheaper. Though I should probably just keep my 50" plasma for now and get a projector with a 100" screen. That would be a cheaper route for a larger screen.

Mensy

Distinguished Member

55 C7 = £3,000

65 C7 = £4,500

At RRP the price difference is that. Some of us have just got a 65 at £4000 so price difference is £500 if you wanna look at it that way. I guess your paying you monies for the extra 40% screen but look at the price difference between the 65 and 77 its huge. Forgetting the the awesome price of the loewe 77 ( still £9,000 more expensive) theres nearly £15,000 difference

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom