1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Spikes?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KraGorn, Jan 15, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Silly question perhaps but just what purpose do spikes serve? Does it make a difference what type of floor one has, mine's a concrete base with tiles and carpet, the spikes penetrate to the tiles.

I have a pair of Aegis Evo 3 fronts and subjectively I seem to get more bass out of them with the spikes than without, but maybe it's just a placebo. :)

2. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmmm not really a question asked, as its just accepted lol.
    But it's the surface area of the spikes, because they are smaller than the surface area of the speakers less of the sounds can "escape" via the floor and therfore produce better sound...Well thats my understanding of it anyway...

3. fade

fade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Smaller surface area creates more pressure, more grip.

If not on spikes, the speaker bobbles about on the floor a bit(large surface area, lower pressure, less intertia.)

4. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I tried my Eltax power towers without the spikes for a bit before fitting them. Once the spikes were on I noticed that the bass was a lot more controlled and clear - less rumble and more punch if you know what I mean. I've also found that the bass doesn't travel into other rooms around the house as much.

Its as if the spikes act as an insulator between the speakers and the floor.

5. mikemccon

mikemccon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all about energy transfer.

In an ideal world, the driver membrane would be the only part of the speaker that moves in order to create the fluctuations in air pressure waves that we perceive as sound.
    Unfortunately the energy involved in this driver movement will also cause a certain amount of vibration in the cabinet itself. This will in turn be transferred to the floor / shelf the speakers are sitting directly on.
    Therefore a percentage of the energy that was intended to concentrate on moving the driver is ultimately lost/absorbed into the ground. This obviously effects bass frequencies more than high (more driver movement required to produce lower freqs).

Spikes simply reduce this effect and the 'tightening' up of the bass is a result of less energy being transferred from the speaker cabinet into the ground, therefore better control over the driver diaphragm.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,994
    As Mike says. The point is to stop cabinet rocking. Also realsie that the spikes are generally sharp to punch through weave of carpets to get to solid flooring. They should be rocked in to place to get to solid floor not dropped down hard so that the spike pierces the flooring itself. You want to de-couple the speaker from the ground, not the other way around.

Gordon

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    So the improved bass handling I thought I perceived was indeed correct .. thanks for the explanation of the spikes' function, I can understand what the insulation of cabinet from floor achieves.

Thanks. :)

8. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Is it possible to buy 3rd party spikes for subwoofers that don't have them, and is it worth doing this for entry level subwoofers?

My subwoofer (part of a Canton movie kit) is just sitting on the carpet at the moment.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Opinion is still divided on the benefit of spiking subwoofers. REL supply spikes with their subs but then suggest that you don't use them.

Many feel that resting the sub on it's rubber feet is sufficient.

10. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought that might be the case.

At the moment, if I crank the volume up, my livingroom doors rattle, which is annoying... but that could just mean I need to seal the doors better :)

11. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Tannoy R3s in my bedroom on a wooden floorboard floor. I don't use spikes because I find it made the speakers less stable and they dug into the soft wooden floorboards.

I didn't hear any difference at all so maybe that's just me.