Why sony???

M

metal_jester

Can someone please explain to me why the majority of threads in this section are about sony players? when Irivers, Ipods etc are better, is there something im missing? what are the sony players offering that the others arent?

What's better about the others? (I would CERTAINLY contest your claim that the iPod is better.)

The NW-HD5 has just been released and is IMO a very good player. It's also got some problems with what I hope will be a faulty first batch, with cracking buttons. Which is why there's been a lot of discussion lately.

metal_jester said:
Can someone please explain to me why the majority of threads in this section are about sony players? when Irivers, Ipods etc are better, is there something im missing? what are the sony players offering that the others arent?

Your not allowed to say that on here mate, these sony owners are touchy about comments like that. ;)

metal_jester said:
Can someone please explain to me why the majority of threads in this section are about sony players?

Probably because there are a lot of prospective / current Sony player owners on here ..... :cool:

i am not sure that iPod or IRiver is better than Sonys, but have to admit, since i dont have an HDD player, i cant really argue the point.

However, if u look at my "ipod-fatigue" thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1712519#post1712519 ), you'll see that many people are fed-up with iPod mania and the fashion/coolness statements of "the white earphones herd".

Although I am sure that iPod is a great product, perhaps the best, the unprecedneted hype just gets to me and others.

You have to praise Apple on their marketing of the IPOD both at the outset and continuing to this day.

The IPOD was one of the first mass market HD players and, as such, the name has become synonymous with HD MP3 players as a whole.

It is almost (but not to the same extent) like the Hoover / Vacuum Cleaner situation. Hoover is a brand name that is also used as a generic name for the appliance.

Many people who are not Gadget freaks call MP3 players, IPODs (as a generic name).

Also when a gadget lover is describing another manufacturer's player to someone more technically inept they will often say, "it's an MP3 player, you know, like an IPOD".

I agree - all this talk about the HD5 being the next iPod killer but I have not seen one bill board, one tv ad or one whole page in a daily newspaper - so if Sony is expecting this new player to take a sizable bite out of Apple's profits they cannot rely on word of mouth alone...:)

I got my hands on one of these from Sony Style - pre ordered. First of all it is very good - I looked at a number of other HD players, but chose this because:-
1. I have had mainly positive experiences with Sony Kit
2. Battery life is better than the other players
3. I have always had good after sales service from Sony
4. I already had a load of songs on my PC in Sonic Stage in ATRAC format for my Net MD player

Gripes -
The volume limitation - fixed thanks to this site THANKS!
Poor case - the felt pouch supplied is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, I intend to buy a more robust case with a belt clip.
No remote - the one from my MD works on basic functions.
The screen rotation - works as says in the instructions - but not in the promotional material - this is a gimmick anyway as the buttons don't move!!!
If you don't want to be part of the sheep nation wearing an iPOD, then this is the beastie to go for.

cuz sony pwnm ur ipods!

no seriously, it because there are a lot of music and technology enthusiasts here and therefore we look at more than 1 dap before buying and arent all taken in by shiney whiteness. this is one of the few places where ipod owners can actualy justify why the got an ipod instead of a sony or iriver or zen or whatever.

all the noobs buy ipods......

hehe

im sick of ipod this ipod that....its so teeny bopping and the fact that the Sony HDD players are better than iPod in almost every way is why they are gaining popularity.

wilto said:
all the noobs buy ipods......

hehe

im sick of ipod this ipod that....its so teeny bopping and the fact that the Sony HDD players are better than iPod in almost every way is why they are gaining popularity.

A matter of opinion :mad: , I will give you it has a better battery life and is smaller, but I would contest sound quality, design, user friendliness, and software are superior with the pod. :smashin:
P.S The buttons dont fall apart on a pod as well mainly due to them not having any :rotfl:

johann1979 said:
I agree - all this talk about the HD5 being the next iPod killer but I have not seen one bill board, one tv ad or one whole page in a daily newspaper - so if Sony is expecting this new player to take a sizable bite out of Apple's profits they cannot rely on word of mouth alone...:)

I haven't seen anything on television but everywhere I look I see posters advertising the HD5 and I've seen a fair few magazine adverts too, I think.

Sonicstage sucks i will give you that Gerbilly.

I'll take that sound quality comment back because I have not listened to my brothers iPod all that much but I can say that i am very impressed with the sound quality of the HD5 compared to a few songs i have listened to his mini.

I used to own a nw-hd1 (given to me as a present), the only thing i found about this player that i liked was its looks and size. I have recently sold this and bought a nice new Iriver H320 and i have no idea what made me buy the nw-hd1.

1. Easy to transfer music all you need is a USB cable, with the sony you need a cradle

2. Click and Drag with the Iriver, Sonicstage (possibly the worst program ever created IMO) with the sony player.

3. Firmware - Free and easy upgrades on the Iriver, would have had to send the Nw-hd1 away and pay £15 for an upgrade.

Yes sony players have good battery life but not yet have i needed 16 hours battery life, and i dont think the fact that they are smallish and look alright should make you buy one. Irivers is where its at!!

jester did you buy the HD1 or was it given to you? make your mind up!

you dont need a cradle with hd3 or hd5.

you can use vio transfer to drag and drop into the hd1/3/5

why would you need to update the firmware more than once ever, i cant see the ipod having many firmware updates it was great of sony to update the hd1, there was no reason for them to do that they shouldnt be criticised for it they should be praised. Any player that has an easy to use firmware update feature suggests to me thats the manufacturers are unsure to the quality of what they have released tbh.

wilto said:
jester did you buy the HD1 or was it given to you?

It was given to me, where did i say i bought it?

watchinthewheel said:
you can use vio transfer to drag and drop into the hd1/3/5

why would you need to update the firmware more than once ever,

Ok i have tried the vio transfer program and it didnt work for me personally but it still will need to change the files to atrac, plus firmware is very handy for adding more features to your player e.g. h320 upgrade in firmware meant you were able to watch films on it.

metal_jester said:
I used to own a nw-hd1 (given to me as a present), the only thing i found about this player that i liked was its looks and size. I have recently sold this and bought a nice new Iriver H320 and i have no idea what made me buy the nw-hd1.

You contradicted yourself in the same sentence... :nono:

Now now boys. Let's not get into that discussion. :nono:

Johann. Best just ignore comments like that. If you are offended, report the post.

no doesn't bother me at all - just can't see how it could be a bad thing to be called gay. David Beckham spends thousands of pounds a month to achieve a 'gay' look... ha...

johann1979 said:
no doesn't bother me at all - just can't see how it could be a bad thing to be called gay. David Beckham spends thousands of pounds a month to achieve a 'gay' look... ha...

sorry theres nothing wrong with being gay, ne way back to the topic.

What are the advantages to getting a sony player rather than an Iriver? not including look, size or battery length, coz i cant think of any

metal_jester said:
sorry theres nothing wrong with being gay, ne way back to the topic.

What are the advantages to getting a sony player rather than an Iriver? not including look, size or battery length, coz i cant think of any

See that is why I am stuck in the god-awful Sony trap. It can handle more bass, has a battery life the second best manufacturer doesn't even match with half and it is significantly smaller than anything with a similar hard drive size. So I suffer daily with SonicStage 3.1 which according to me is much worse than 2.3 as they've done away with the groups layout and the HD5 doesn't support groups either so everything I have learnt from minidiscs and previous sony HDD players is lost now - very, very annoying. But then the battery is good and it is small and cute - so you win alot and you lose alot... absolute love-hate at its worst... :devil: :eek:

johann1979 said:
See that is why I am stuck in the god-awful Sony trap. It can handle more bass, has a battery life the second best manufacturer doesn't even match with half and it is significantly smaller than anything with a similar hard drive size. So I suffer daily with SonicStage 3.1 which according to me is much worse than 2.3 as they've done away with the groups layout and the HD5 doesn't support groups either so everything I have learnt from minidiscs and previous sony HDD players is lost now - very, very annoying. But then the battery is good and it is small and cute - so you win alot and you lose alot... absolute love-hate at its worst... :devil: :eek:

Johann why the need for battery life of 30 or 40 hours. I listen to my i-pod for 2 hours every work day and it lasts the full week, and when I get home on a Friday I leave it charging in the dock for the weekend . If I play it, I play it through my stereo.

This is more than enough at 18 hours with the mini and I dont see this problem with battery life being a major issue for anyone unless it is less than 10 hours.

I though gay people were supposed to be into fashion (sweeping generalisation :D
Get with it brother the sony is so passe and the I-pod is where its at! :rotfl:

Only joking, but if you dont need 20 mgb and your files arent all atrac then consider buying the mini or maybe even better for yourself the Rio Carbon.
If you need the 20 and your files are atrac I would stick with the HD3 (if thats what you have) and give at a while for Sony to get this mess sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom