Why sony should be classed as top of the ladder!!!

xxEmmo

IMO after extensive reding of these forums as i am in the market for a full 1080p lcd set. I feel sony should be classed as top of the pile in all respects. In many opinions of posters here they complain about sonys clouding problem mainly and a few slight others.

But if you look and read through the threads of its rivals in each category mainly at 40" the Samsung M86 has over 50,000 posts of complaints basically!!! Returning of their set,motherboard and firmware replacements, Tosh Z3030d with complaints of heavy picture smearing and clouding along with many other faults!

But in the sony threads the main complaint is clouding(which is being heavily reduced now) no sign of returning because of faults and incompatibilities only because of stupid pet hates.

IMO i just feel sony are the most reliable product to put your money on to insure very good quality for a decent price(not bargain but you pay for what you get in this day and age).

Overall because i am in the market myself im deciding on getting the sony V3000 simply because picture quality is by far up there with any other in its price range, connectivity is excellent and features also and at the end of the day when i hand over my money for a sony at least i know i wont be returning it because of large faults and bugs etc!!

I'd like to see what the posters on the site here feel about this situation.
Thanks guys

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
What you have to remember is that 99.9% of all posts are from People with personal problems with their sets, not often do you hear "Oh what a great set I have!".
In our house we own 4 LCD's.
Oldest to newest.
Philips (2.5years), Toshiba (2 years), Sharp (2 Years) and all have been brilliant.
A lot of people write in about quality and of picture, and what are the best settings, well sorry in most cases it is down to poor connectivity, poor sources etc etc, and in most cases it is a case of rubbish in = rubbish out.
Yes I understand that faulty screens get through the system and you will see loads of issues with the likes of Samsung but you will as they far outsell Sony's. But I do agree that Sony make extremely good sets.
Keep reading everyones issues on this site and you would never buy any make.

lynnzal

Novice Member
As far as I am aware, Sony and Samsung still manufacture the same panels..?

"Sony and Samsung agreed to cross-license their respective LCD patents in December 2004, eight months after the two formed S-LCD, a company tasked with building and running a joint seventh-generation panel plant."

www.reghardware.co.uk
27/06/2006

dafran

Novice Member
Or maybe Sony owners are easier satisfied then Samsung or Toshiba owners :D

No, to be honest I think especially Samsungs are sold more compared to their Sony counterparts because they are cheaper (in some case a lot cheaper) and this is why you have more owners which come and complain in these threads. You also have to check how many different complainers you have because a lot of these post are of the same members.

I also have some complains about my F86 (scrolling lines, some color banding), but I guess everything can be solved with firmware updates since the scrolling lines are already solved in Australia.
I'm also sure there are problems with the Sony X-series (which probably can be solved via firmware updates (except the clouding) and even if they turn out to be better, I'm not willing to pay 1000 euro more for the Sony X-serie since I change tv's every 2 years or so.

xxEmmo

i definatly agree that if you are in the market to buy a tv this is the wrong place to go because it will put you off every lcd possible LOL but eventually it comes down to a materr of prefernece on which set you hand over your hard earned cash for and for me it will be the sony. thanks guys

MumboJumbo

Novice Member
Must admit sony do sell Good looking TV's..... But I still will never be a fashion victim. Dont like wolves in sheeps clothing and sometimes the bigger boys look for the much bigger margins and slap a badge on something lesser class than they should and you buy it cause you trust them.

xxEmmo

thats exactly it right there and its the main reason because if i hand over €1500 euro on a tv i want to be god dam assured that it wont have to be returned because of endless flaws and bugs popping up all over the place, that i will have excellent picture quality and connectivity, it might be the best picture quality compared to its rivals but surely only by a tiny margine according to reviews etc..IMO the only thing that should be preference is the styling of sonys, it hits the spot for some but some choose the samsung or tosh(samsungs is fabulous tough). You pay for what you get IMO samsungs are cheaper for a reason IMO hence the many many bugs.

But once again as ive said alot in this post and thread its all IMO(in MY opinion) so ill leave it up to the rest to post their views on which should be crowned top of the lcd ladder

glesgaguyav

Novice Member
Sony as a brand IMO is no different in quality as it's main competitors, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, Canon etc. where the difference lies, again IMO, is their marketing and muscle, remember their sutle advertising campaigns years ago..."It must be a Sony" ect, now consumers believe that if it's a Sony then it must be "good" but as any gadget freak will testify, Sony have produced some "bummers".
They are also the only maker who still have their own High Street stores, so you can be assured that the Sony prices will stay forever "hiked" compared to other makers.
Sony is no better or worse than any othe maker on the ladder, it's probably just "Bigger"

mbilejo

xxEmmo - Its good that you have a found a TV you are happy with, but how is your opinion qualified that Sony should be rated as top of the field?

Have you owned and lived with all of the competitors best efforts, or are you simply guaging by people posts on this forum?

As a huge Sony fan myself, and an owner of alot of Sony products, I would never say they should be rated as top of the field.

xxEmmo

i do not personally own its competitors but i do own many sony products myself along wit a sharp lcd also. I have never had any hassle wit the sony lcd's ive had nor the sharp for that matter. I have seen toshibas being returned by friends and family also with the samsung not being satisfactory for one of my friends but i own a samsung monitor for my pc and am more than happy and never had any trouble with it. IMO i am judging on past experience with sony products mainly lcd's and also posts from other people of course. im not doubting the others as brands certainly not im just sayin in the lcd market sony have always been reliable and excellent products and from what i have compared in the lcd market nothing changes.

Mickus

As far as I am aware, Sony and Samsung still manufacture the same panels..?

"Sony and Samsung agreed to cross-license their respective LCD patents in December 2004, eight months after the two formed S-LCD, a company tasked with building and running a joint seventh-generation panel plant."

www.reghardware.co.uk
27/06/2006

And? There's more to an LCD than just the panel...

MumboJumbo

Novice Member
Have you read the SONY forums... I am sure they have their fair share of problems just like others. I judge LCD's and Plasma's these days by what is inside the box not always what it looks like on the outside or a Badge.
Lets face it there are not many TV's out there with a bad look....

Yes I agree every screen may have a IPS panel or a SPVA panel. But to drive these panels requires the right technology. This is where the top manufacturers come into their own... Sony and others dont always get it right. Smearing / Tearing sound familiar..?

Azkuma

Standard Member
And? There's more to an LCD than just the panel...

The point being made is that the panel and nothing else is manufactured at a plant for both Samsung and Sony.

Of course the difference between the finished products boils down to each companies' own electronic components and Sony use the Bravia engine as we know and Samsung use their 100Hz Motion Plus technology.

Sony tend to pack most of their high end LCD TVs with a lot of gadgets that at first people may think is too much, but when you compare it to other brands, especially Samsung who don't even have picture-in-picture on some of their models you can begin to see why there is a big price difference between similarly sized panels.

RRP for Samsung LE46F86BD approx £1500 on Amazon co uk
RRP for Sony 46X3000U approx £2059 on Amazon co uk

It's a big difference, but if you want the extras that the Samsung doesn't have and you're prepared to pay, then the choice is up to each person.

In any case nothing man made is without problems and any piece of equipment can fail no matter where it is made, or by which company.

Personally I think Loewe make the most beautiful TVs but again if you read the threads in the Loewe section then you'd be put off buying one of their sets. Having owned one of their CRTs for over 5 years it's easy to be swayed towards a particular brand just like the OP.

Regards :)

xxEmmo

after readin back on my post i probably should have named the thread "who is top of the lcd ladder" because maybe i sound a little biast or like a sony fanboy in that post and calling the thread what it is. apologies if anybody took me up the wrong way i was just looking for opinions from other people on who they think is the best thats all

MumboJumbo

Novice Member
OMG. You write your english like Borat... Not being offensive but you typed

apologies if anybody took me up the wrong way :lease:

What kind of thread is this.....:eek:

SuperSquash

I think that this thread proves that Sony are the Coca Cola of the electrical world. People prefer them but I'm not always sure they can tell you why exactly.

I don't doubt that Sony make good products, but it is their marketing that is world leading.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom