1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why some speakers of simular size and drivers are vastly different in cost apart from

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Jul 23, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i can understand say a large sub being more expesive than a small one ,larger amp and driver bigger cabinet etc, when it comes to speakers say bw602s3 £300 vinal finish as against cdm1nt wood venier, seeing the bw referance 805 is nearly three times the cost of say cdm1nt (£750) 805 is £2250 both have simular sized drivers 805 is different shaped cabinet etc excluding finish why such a vast differance in price,

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A charitable answer would be quality control, and better cabinet construction. A more likely answer is 'The marketing department' In companies which follow the marketing philosophy products are priced not based on the costs of production, marketing and sales but by what the market will bear. The decsion to produce a speaker (or for that matter a new soap powder) is based on whether it is possible to make a profit at the price an article can realistically be sold at.

3. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure that that is a particularly charitable explanation for the differences in prices between the specific speakers which the original poster listed. I've heard most of the CDM NT series and most of the Nautilus range and, to my ears at least, the Nautilus range sounds much better. B&W spends an awful lot of money on R&D and, inevitably, the early adopters of new technology which results from R&D will bear a significant proportion of the cost of the R&D. The Nautilus tweeter is filtering down into lower B&W ranges. However, the matrix cabinet construction hasn't (yet). I believe that B&W can justify its current price differentials in performance terms.

Regards,

Jules.

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jules,

Well maybe not that charitable! Ultimately though, your answer agrees with mine. If you percieve a product to be worth a certain amount to you then it is, regardless of the cost of production.