Question Why some HDR movies look great and some terrible?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sebazvideo, Jan 1, 2017.

1. sebazvideo

sebazvideo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whole HDR implementation on UHD Blu-rays has me very confused. I read that it's still in its infancy and there are issues, etc etc. But what I don't understand is why the disparity in the implementation across different movies, especially when are released by the same studio, and sometimes even the same collector's set.

What I'm talking about specifically is how some movies look horrible in the HDR version while they look perfectly fine with HDR disabled. Luckily these are just a few, including Independence Day Resurgence and Life of Pi, as well as The Bourne Identity. These movies have a color palette that is completely different to the original SDR, to the point where reds are orange, and everything has this awful gold like hue. Human skin looks pale and even if you adjust the hue to where it's 10 points towards the red (which you shouldn't have to do normally), the reds may be more natural but everything still looks bad. It's certainly way different than disabling HDR and watching the SDR version, which looks perfectly fine, maybe without all the extra shades in the highlights and shadows, but I'll take that any day over HDR that looks like some kid started playing with the controllers in a DaVinci Resolve suite.

What puzzles me even more is the case of the Bourne series. I bought this expensive set that has all the 5 movies, all of them supposedly in HDR. These come from the same studio, and I assume they were all sent to be color graded in HDR to the same shop, whatever it may be. Well, I play the first movie and it has the awful gold hue. If you have seen The Bourne Identity, you might remember the red car the girl has, and also that Jason Bourne has a red bag, and later in the movie they break into a guy's house, a guy that shows up in a very red Jeep Cherokee. Well, all these things, in the HDR version, look orange. Not just a bit, they look orange.

So when I noticed that, I had to stop the movie and go into my player's settings (Panasonic DMP-UB900) and disable HDR. After that, the movie looked great. No HDR, but it still looked great, at least as well as a film transfer from that year can look.

So I figured that the rest of the movies in the set would have that bad HDR color grading and I would have to disable HDR for all of them, since they are from the same studio and come in the same set. To my surprise, the second movie looked amazing in HDR. It looks like an ad for HDR. Colors popup, contrast is excellent, and overall the picture is about the best I've seen in my whole life and made me glad I spent almost $2K in this TV set. Definitely, reds look like red, not orange, and skin tone is excellent, maybe not natural, oversaturated, but the hue is the right one.

Then the third Bourne movie, also flawless. And most of my other movies on UHD Blu-ray are also flawless, Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman, Watchmen, Lucy, etc.

I have a 65" Samsung KS8000, which as far as I've read is one of the best sets for movies and HDR without going into OLED territory. My settings are mostly default except obviously no SOE, temperature to Warm 1 or normal, and color space to Auto, although I tried Native for these weird HDR movies like I read on rtings.com, but it barely changed the red. And I went through the painful process of changing all the settings to the recommended on rtings.com for my set, which turned out to be far worse than the factory settings to my taste. The only way I found to adjust the settings to where the colors looked a bit more normal was to go into the custom color space and set each of the RGB to 100 while zeroing the others. Meaning under Red, red itself went to 100 and green and blue to 0, then under Blue, blue to 100, red and green to 0, you get the idea. I didn't touch Yellow, Cyan or Magenta initially. So with those changes, then the red bag, Mini Cooper and Cherokee in the first Bourne movie looked OK. Still, the skin color was pale and weird. I tried messing with YCM but didn't achieve anything close to the SDR version. Eventually I reset the whole Movie profile to factory settings and changed a couple of things to my liking. I don't care much about histograms, colorimeters and all that, to me the settings have to be what I like, not what a waveform tells me I should like.

What I also don't understand is that this is so evident and yet I tried searching online using several different criteria and couldn't find anything about it. I don't know if this is an issue with Samsung TV sets (I also have the KU6300 and it's exactly the same thing). To me it's just bizarre, especially when it comes to movies from the same studio and in the same set. Is anyone else seeing this?

2. sebazvideo

sebazvideo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it looks like this Jason Bourne set is hot and miss. The first movie looks awful, the second and third look great, and the fourth one looks as bad as the first one. Everything is so gold that it looks like Donald Trump color graded it. Sorry, couldn't resist :)