Why so many Oppo BD83's in the classifieds...?

There have been maybe 10 in the last month or so...at first I thought that it was because people were getting themselves the BD83 - but a bit of digging reveals that you can't make that multiregion for SD - so it can't be that...

I'm seriously considering clicking buy on one, but people are holding onto these for less than a year...has something replaced it that I haven't heard about - SD wise I mean?

And - here's the strange thing - they're NOT selling!! Even at £150 less than the CRT price with some warranty remaining...:confused:

Last edited:

t1m103

i think its the other way round,people selling the DVD983H to get the BD83.

i think its the other way round,people selling the 983 to get the BD 83.

Yeah you're right...forgot to throw a 9 in there. For people with discs from all over the world, they're shooting themselves in the foot - surely?

Could a mod kindly add a 9 in front of the 83 to make me look like I kinda know what I'm talking about - cheers.

bazonix

i seriously dont understand why either.... i mean the new blu ray players are good, but i totally agree that the 983 is still the king of mr dvd players...

i can easily get the bd83 but its not wireless and thats exactly what my next player will have to be....

Last edited:

mray

I think people are thinking about the resale value of their 983s' dropping once the new Blu-ray machines are released, and are getting rid of them now, buying their BD83s' later....Cynic that I am. :D

I think people are thinking about the resale value of their 983s' dropping once the new Blu-ray machines are released, and are getting rid of them now, buying their BD83s' later....Cynic that I am. :D

...and not having a multi-region DVD player...

mray

The 983 is still worth having and stands on its own merits IMO. It is very quick loading, plays PAL/NTSC and has great PQ. It plays all sorts of discs with no problems.

The US BD83 has 24p support for NTSC DVD.

The European version of the BD83 might be multi region. Or it might not!

retethen

After reading many reviews and threads I was certain I could get better than my XE1 and Panny 30.
I thought initially to look at the oppo 983 then caught wind of the 83 being imminent with later a possible reg2 sd2 made MR .So then all bases would be covered.So i was apotential buyer of the oppo 983 but had changed my mind towards the 83. Lately though I`ve been looking elsewhere to the denons sony`s eyc. Unfortunately none has screamed buy me.
I think the point I`m making is the 83 has put a damper on the 983 unless you want a stand alone DVD player that upscales brilliantly.I`m waiting for the 83 european model , I think.:confused::confused:

scumball

Distinguished Member
Is the 983 that much better than an XE1? When you can get a MR XE1 for £100 less than the 983 and have true HD playback I can see why the 983 doesn't sell that well - it's a massive amount to spend on a SD player nowadays...even at the 2nd hand rate.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom