Question Why so few WebOS apps?

totsubo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased an LG OLED65W9 and though I am very happy with the TV, I'm underwhelmed by the number and quality of the apps available for download for it's WebOS. Of course all the big ones are there (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex), and of great quality but everything else is of poor quality and not interesting.

For example I was looking for a simple screen clock app, but could only find two. Those were of very poor quality (and from Russia).

Why so few good apps?

Why so few good apps?
Like what?

The problem with the majority of free apps on any smart TV is that very few people use them.

Perhaps now is the time for people to come up with some suggestions...

Here’s a quick list of what I was looking for but could not find:

- clock
- screensaver

Stick a clock on the wall. Why would you want to turn on the TV just to see the time?

Answer that and you'll have your reason for why the media/streaming apps are well covered but others are not.

Here’s a quick list of what I was looking for but could not find:

- clock
- screensaver
OLEDs have a builtin screensaver, logo dimming, pixel refresh in standby etc..

Wishlist wise, Steam Link app would be nice...

p.s. congrats, W9 is a monster :clap:

my webos apps wish list consists of 2 apps.. apple tv+ and kodi..
Doubt kodi team will ever bother but apple will come soon :)

What LG allow apps wise is very limited, just very basic web apps, akin to Google Chrome apps but even more restricted, LG use Chrome browser internally on WebOS 3 & 4.

Something like Kodi would never be allowed as it's far too complex.

Lastly the hardware in TV's is often not very compelling either for anything other than basic video streaming. It's not like a pricey AppleTV which has hardware close to a game console.

my webos apps wish list consists of 2 apps.. apple tv+ and kodi..
Doubt kodi team will ever bother but apple will come soon :)

Only if you have a recent model. Don't see my B7 getting AppleTV. Fortunately i have an AppleTV 4K already.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom