Why so few HD DVD options, and whats coming?

krlock3

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i was just wondering why we are more or less still restricted to toshiba players or the xbox add on, even after all this time.

i recently bought the xbox add on to see what all the fuss was about... its great, but the noise that the main unit still makes is too much for me to be happy with (during quiet scenes that is, not loud scenes of course).

on the other hand, I could have got the first generation tosh for a bit more, but i am put off by the fact that i heard it has a very slow start up time, and is sluggish... i dont like sluggish things.

so what else can we expect to be on the market by the end of the year? any other manufacturers jumping in with anything exciting?

anyone have some good info??

thanks
krlock

on the other hand, I could have got the first generation tosh for a bit more, but i am put off by the fact that i heard it has a very slow start up time, and is sluggish... i dont like sluggish things.
krlock

I have the HD-E1 and I think it's great. I don't have a problem with the start up time I just turn it on about 15 seconds earlier than my old DVD player. I wouldn't say it was sluggish, it does what I need it to do, plays films very well.

I have an Xbox 360 and did contemplate buying the add on but like you I would've been put off by the noise from the main box.

I have the hd-e1 as well. And i agree it takes a while to start up, but like 'google' i find something else to do for 30-40 seconds. Note the ps3 takes a while to start up as well. I just think of it as new technology that is worth waiting a few moments for. Most owners of the hd-e1 would agree that the hd & sd upscaled picture is very impressive indeed and worth the wait and not that sluggish really. For the price its excellent value for money and also is relatively quiet - i actually don't notice the fan noise on mine. :smashin:

Thomo

At ÂŁ190, i'm not going to complain about my E1. Does a great job.......ok maybe a tad slow at booting but nothing major

Onkyo has announced an HD DVD player for autumn in the states and then soon after over here I hope.

gorge

There are actually more hardware option for HD-DVD than Bly Ray at the moment. The only Blu Ray player worth getting is the PS3, all the others will be obsolete soon.

At the moment you have the choice between three Toshiba players, the LG blu-ray HD DVD combo, the 360 add on and some drives for PCs.

In the future you also have the Samsung dual player, the Onkyo, and Toshibas third generation players.

There are actually more hardware option for HD-DVD than Bly Ray at the moment. The only Blu Ray player worth getting is the PS3, all the others will be obsolete soon.

I don't really see how a choice of a player from Toshiba or an add-on can be considered "more hardware options" than a choice of players from Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic and Sony or a PS3. :confused:

At the moment it's HD DVD that looks like the proprietary format. With the exception of a couple of dual format solutions everything else is either built by Toshiba or a re-badge (Onkyo).

In answer to the original question, the reason is probably that thanks to Toshiba's relentless price cutting nobody else sees enough money in HD DVD to make it worth their while getting involved.

thanks for the replies... i didnt want to diss the toshiba, i just wanted to outline my thoughts and ask about future hardware.

i heard about the onkyo, but it still surprises me that there arent more players arriving by the end of the year.

krlock3

There should be a few more players by the end of the year, should be every affordable too.:thumbsup:

thanks for the replies... i didnt want to diss the toshiba, i just wanted to outline my thoughts and ask about future hardware.

i heard about the onkyo, but it still surprises me that there arent more players arriving by the end of the year.

krlock3

This is August and the end of the year is Dec 31. There's still time for one or two player announcements at below the E1 or between the upcoming A35 and Onkyo players. May not hear anything beyond the Onkyo though. CEDIA (U.S.) is first week of September and then there'll be CES2008 to kick off the new year. I expect there'll be more things to learn about, but all things take time.

Given Paramount and Dreamworks have just gone HD DVD exclusive, I don't think there's much reason to think HD DVD is about to disappear from lack of support.

I don't really see how a choice of a player from Toshiba or an add-on can be considered "more hardware options" than a choice of players from Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic and Sony or a PS3. :confused:

At the moment it's HD DVD that looks like the proprietary format. With the exception of a couple of dual format solutions everything else is either built by Toshiba or a re-badge (Onkyo).

In answer to the original question, the reason is probably that thanks to Toshiba's relentless price cutting nobody else sees enough money in HD DVD to make it worth their while getting involved.

Who let you in here? :)

Well you could also say the same about the PS3. It's heavily subsidised by Sony and makes all the standalone and soon to be obsolete Blu-ray players look heavily over priced.

Also isn't the Pioneer blu-ray player a re-badged Sony? ;)

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...escent-more-proof-theyre-identical-225528.php

I dont think you need to worry any longer considering the excellent Paramount news.

Watch the big players start to make those HD machines now:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom