Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Pengbo, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Pengbo

Pengbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    IT may be me but why is all this kit so expensive? Am I missing something?

I have a Linux PC with 2TB raided. All I want is something simple to connect to a wired network and an amp to act as a receiver so I can do away with radios (DAB or FM) and CD players and play all of my music. Not into the whole hi-fi this kbps is better than that kbps because frankly unlike most people I don't seem to be able to tell the difference. Just want something simple that plays what I can stream.

Does such a device exist? that wont cost the price of a small bank loan to kit out a house with.

PS now I have broken the holy of holies around here you can shoot me later but please if you know the answer then consider it my dying request and please answer :D

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Depends what you mean by expensive. An SB3 costs £184 and could be used with any half decent stereo amp. I bought an older Kenwood 3020se for £25 recently. Is that the kind of ballpark you're thinking of?

3. Member 7321

Member 7321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    SB3 costs from £129, they haven't been near £190 for ages. You can nearly get a Duet for that much these days.

4. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Yep, SB Classic is good and the server-side software is open sourced for Linux.

Then again, if you really want the bargain bucket, Roku Soundbridge on eBay for less than £100.

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

If you can find one Roku released an even cheaper version of the Soundbridge named the 'Home Music Player' similar to the more expensive M1001 but with an LCD screen instead of the VFD display.

When sold new they were only around £50 so should be able to pick a used one up for around half that.

Also look at the Netgear MP101. A little slow browsing large libraries and the display is a little small for reading from a distance but still capable of what you are need and only £10-£20 used on Ebay.

I used an MP101 as my first Streamer years back and they are useful well built devices. Underated as a basic music streamer imo

6. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    wow. such snobbery;). that is only 30 quid cheaper than you can pick up the sb3 for at cooltopia. i hope that bucket has enough room.:D

7. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    >wow. such snobbery.<

Yeah, so I own a Transporter. Big woop. :D

8. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I was in exactly the same boat but depends what you class as as small bank loan?

I was going to spend £150 on a Bose dock for my Ipod, but as I wanted to play Flac spent a little more (£180) on a Squeezebox Boom. Perfect for my needs and moves with me from room to room. Agreed if you already have an amp and speakers the SB3 would be even cheaper.