1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why small speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by richard plumb, Jan 22, 2003.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    It seems as though most people here set their speakers to 'small' and feed lower frequencies through their subwoofer.

Now this is fine if you have a fantastic sub, but if you have only a cheapish sub, would you be better off using 'large' settings? i.e. would small increase the demands on a cheap sub to the point where it adversely affects the sound?

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    What do you mean by a cheapish sub - the Velodyne CHT-10 (£325 with the powerbuy from Uncle Eric) could not be considered expensive, and I'd chop my REL Q150 in for one if I had the space, such is the body of critical opinion forming here....

3. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I got my CHT-10 I had a KEF PSW1000 which is a small sub that does not go too deep. I found that I got the best increase and cleaner bass when I set the front speakers (B&W 602 S2) to large and routed the LFE to the sub and my fronts. If I set everthing to small then routed all the bass to the sub there was not a huge increase in bass and I had to turn up the volume on the sub beyond what it should be to balance with the rest of my speakers. Because of this I got overblown bass.

Of course now I have my CHT-10 all the LFE is routed to the sub and all speakers are small. This now means my fronts have more detail as they are not trying to cope with low frequencies and I can now hear and feel a lot more bass from the CHT-10.

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point Richard

Have you been reading the recent thread started by Uncle Eric?

I too unfortunately have a feeble 'sub'woofer - an old Yamaha which derives from my first dabblings in AV quite some years back.

It's wholly outclassed by my what are now my main speakers (biamped active Linn Keilidhs) which have quite prodigious bass abilities.

I know (or rather think!) that when I get a quality sub that 'small' for all my speakers would be the correct setting - see Eric's arguments/ the white paper section on the Harman website - however my current sub just doesn't have the class to stand up to the rest of my gear.

I therefore have my mains set to 'large', allowing the sub to fill in the low end of my surrounds (Jamo Surround 300's) and centre (Linn Trikan), and get a more refined sound for doing so.

I just need to get some more pennies & approval from 'er indoors for that new killer sub...

Cheers