1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why shouldn't I buy KEF eggs...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Peter G, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to the layout of my HT room, I haven't got room for anything but the most modestly sized rear speakers, so the KEF eggs would seem to fit the bill.

However, I have heard some doubts that the sound quality of the KEF system is limited by the small front and centre speakers.

Obviously I'm going to audition before I buy, but I'm struggling to find alternatives which have the advantages of larger boxes at the front, but that still have nice compact speakers at the back.

Any recommendations?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How about a mix n match system with Eggs at the rear and a different front three. Traditional style KEF speakers at the front perhaps

3. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a bad idea!

While I'm at it, should I consider an alternative sub, or is the KEF one specially "tuned" to work with their sattelites?

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The main problem people seem to have is the sound from the front centre speaker. You could always get a set of eggs, use the front centre as a rear centre, and get something like a Kef Q9C (IIRC) for your new front centre.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No sub is specially tuned to go with anything. The original sub with the Eggs was a bit weedy but the current version is beefed up and supposed to be much better.

6. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, would you guys agree that it's best to stick to the same brand of speaker when mixing and matching like this (in order to have smooth panning of effects) or is that less important than some people make out?

Thanks for your help BTW. :)

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Side to side is very important so the front three should really be from the same range but there is much less panning of sounds from front to back so it's less important.

I believe that the Eggs use the same drivers as some of the conventional KEF speakers so they should work together as a package.

8. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool.

Bearing all that in mind, I think it's time to get down to the dem' room at my local hifi place...

Cheers again for your advice.

9. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I was advised against this as (apparently) the eggs and the Q9C have a different cone construction - one's aluminium and the other is paper (or was it ceramic?). I was also told that the Q9C is 'too good' for the eggs and wasn't really suited as a front centre replacement.

Having said that (the accuracy of which I claim no responsibility), if you did want to go down this route, there's a new Q6c due out soon for about £100 less than the Q9C.

There are also the new Kef Q compacts which are a closer match to the Q9C/ Q6C, and smaller than the current Q1's.

Let us know how you get on with you demo (I'm thinking of getting the eggs myself and have similar concerns)

Balders.

10. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use some KEF eggs and honestly think they are fine for my needs,i prefer 2-chanel hi-fi so most of my money goes there,the KEF eggs remember are built to there price structure,so dont expect miracles,they dont compare to the cdm B&W series I had,nor the B&W 600series for that matter,but for style,discretion,and VFM i think to do there job fine,i use mine with a REL strata sub,as i cant stand a sub with music.