Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Why should Sky+ get the update last?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scitech, May 14, 2005.

1. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has been bothering me for a few days now. The average Sky+ user must pump far more money into Sky than the average standard digital user. Firstly, many Sky digital users don't pay Sky anything, a Sky+ user must pay Sky a minimum of £10 per month. I reckon that the vast majority of Plus subscribers have two premium channels or more to waive the extra tenner, and even if they don't they still pay £10 more per month for the same package as a standard digital subscriber.

Not to mention that every Plus box was bought for at least £99 whereas all the standard boxes were given out gratis.

We are Sky's premier customers and as a result we should be first in line to get the updates.

I want my update and I want it now :mad: !

Write to your MP (or at least James Murdoch) ;) !

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Or look at it from the other side, the software is tested on "normal" subscribers and when it's finally been tested the only way software truely can it's rolled out to SKY+ users:)

3. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. But what's stopping Sky testing it on a hundred or so Sky boxes for a couple of weeks then rolling the update out to Sky+ boxes before everyone else?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Maybe for the same reason the normal digibox updates are rolled out in batches.
    Not only are the various makes and models ever so slightly different thus requiring individual tailoring of the software but simply upgrading so many boxes at once could be a disaster if there was a problem leading to the CS being even more swamped than usual.

Taking the serious view I do not know why SKY choose to upgrade normal boxes first (when features will be shared), perhaps they choose to do the coding on the biggest installed user base first and then tweak it for the smaller user groups which SKY+ thanks to it's models and versions is still very much a part of.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    They probably leave Sky+ until last because Sky+ has the most features out of all the boxes.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Or perhaps they realise that most people who have sky+ don't watch tv programs when they're actually transmitted and as it doesn't record the red button anyway then it probably doesn't make much difference to them.

Unless it's football or something else happening live I tend to watch everything recorded. Does this latest upgrade do anything else? (scuse my ignorance).

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You can turn subtitles on and off from the blue banner. Not much else.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Same here.
    The footy is the only programming I need to press the backup button to remove the red dot, everything else is recorded and therefore no red dot.

Along with the subtitles there are also more advanced parental controls and enabling the zero button for use with 4 digit radio numbers which will be introduced later this year.

9. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty much in the same boat when it comes to watching everything recorded.

Just thought I'd see if I could start a heated debate, but obviously I failed ;) !

Thanks for the replys :thumbsup: .

10. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I've been checking daily to see if my Sky+ receiver has been upgraded yet, but so far nothing's happened. Has Sky even started work on Sky+ boxes yet?

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

11. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,479
    its a mix of "the greater good" and less things that can go wrong i'd think