1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why should/n't I buy the Yamaha 450 from Superfi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spickee, Jul 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have been umming and ahhing for the last 4 weeks since I bought my Z3 as to whether to go for this at the frankly stunning price.

I am more than happy with the component feed to the Z3 I'm sure I'd be elated with the HDMI connection but I just can warrant £70-80 for a decent length lead.

I have currently got crap speakers and a sub from an all in one, which I would initially use until the wife calms down then probably go for something like the NSP-110s, or something similar. I really can't afford another grand for the sound system, about £300 tops realistically without castration occuring.

I will buy a new DVD player with PAL progressive, whether it's the Sammy everyone is raving about or something else I'm not sure.

I don't need earth shattering volume levels as the room is relatively small but would be nice to get proper DTS and digital to pair with the PJ's excellent image quality.

As far as sources all I have and probably will have is the DVD player and an xbox, which will probably become a 360 come christmas, so the component switching is relatively important but upscaling isn't if the individual units can handle it as opposed to the amp.

Why should I buy it and why shouldn't I.

The credit card has been in and out of the wallet this last three weeks nearly as many times as the sun has been out.

2. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have been in the same situation - I have actually ordered and cancelled a number of amps before they were posted out as I changed my mind.

Do I go for a more expensive one now? or get a cheap one to last me till HDMI switching amps are more cheaper (probably next year).

I eventually bought the RX-450 from Superfi - If you phone their London branch they will do next day delivery for free :D

The amp has everything I need - 2 opt in, 1 coax in, 2 component in, 1 multi-ch in.

In the end however I actually have some spair connections! Coax from a PC is useless for gaming (I've ordered the cables for multi-ch in now), and the Xbox just displays vertical lines in the background on the PV500, so I am not using one of the components either.

So in the end, I do have some limited expandability ;)

The FM performance of the amp seems to be not bad - you have to change the default DSP setting from Sci-Fi or whatever :D

Halo 2 on Xbox Live was amazing in dolby digital - I am going to watch my first movie on it tonight.

3. hertderg

hertderg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi m8 - I'd love to hear you views on the 450 with the cd1 package - what's the sound like from the centre speaker ??

cheers,
    hd

4. hertderg

hertderg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any update ? Would like to hear your views before I buy.

:smashin: :thumbsdow

HD

5. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,262
  6. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The system is just great - the centre speaker I feel is balanced with the other speakers. They are certainly loud enough, and the quality is just amazing. I'm using it to listen to music now as well - no room for my stereo ;)

This is my first seperates system.

7. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    357 has not got the audio delay, just in case I get problems. Don't want to buy an amp and then find that it is unusable for films.

Looked at the AV packs, probably cheaper to go for the 350 from Richer and the NSP-110 from elsewhere. About £160, with the saving can buy the yamaha DVD player with progressive.

But liked the idea of component switching on the 450 with the extra speaker as well.

Really can't make my mind up.