1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why should I go plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by four_bes, Feb 23, 2005.

1. four_bes

four_bes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: My long-lived and trusted Sony CRT has finally croaked and I need to replace it before the 20" set from my bedroom drives me nuts.

I've suddenly become a propeller-head and have immersed myself in specifications. With HD sources, including Sky HDTV, on the horizon the prop-head in me wants to be HD ready - that seems to take me down the LCD route. But everytime I go viewing models the LCDs look really washed out next to the plasmas, despite the LCD resolution advantage - but a 480 vertical resolution just sounds so small.

42" is probably more than my lounge (and wife) could live with, viewing distance is 11-12 ft.

If I want to be HD ready, what are good (smaller) plasma options. Alternatively, why should I ignore the HD hype for now and go plasma regardless?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I would re think your size decision. 42" on your wall at 12ft will seem small after a week or 2. I'm sure others will chip in and say the same. In fact, a challenge! Can we find anybody who will admit they bought too big a screen. Conversely, how many wish it were bigger. No, the screen you idiots.

3. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get a 42" pwd7. 12ft is plenty, you'll soon adjust to it and there are some delicious prices to be had at the moment.it'll save you having to remortgage your home in order to get a great plasma picture. If you are disappointed, i'll gladly send you my hat with a few mouthfuls taken out of it!!!
    by the time HD is being broadcast across all your favourite channels technology will have moved further on anyway and you'll want to upgrade whatever!!!
    you can't win mate, just get in there and start enjoying it now!!

in all honesty tho', you need to consider carefully what you want to get from your set up. I really do think it is best to live in the now, as you can always replace/upgrade as time goes by, I thought I would have my last crt until my first child poured water in it or something!!! I reckon i'm closer now to my second plasma than i am to my first child!!! :rotfl:

good luck mate

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    42" is ideal for that distance and the cost saving by going for 37" is very little...

As Martin says, you do get used to the size very quickly...of the screen that is :rolleyes:

JJ