1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why sell a plasma in a state it cant be used!?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by buns, Mar 21, 2004.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    haha, you will never know

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You're right of course. The logic behind this is in the commercial roots of the technology, where many different mounting scenarios are called for. But domestically it makes no sense. Pioneer MXe's come with little plastic feet for over-excited boys like you, so you can fire it up 1st! But it's best to get your plasma quote to include a stand or wall mount. Most shops will do that. Some totally consumer orientated models do come with a stand, making them a complete telly, but personally they are the ones I wouldn't give house room to.

3. johnsattuk

johnsattuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Buns

I also thought that the stands were a bit expensive. I made my own with two bits of ally rod and a 30mm thick wood base to match my units. Had the bits about me, took about an hr

John

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My Dad did this too. He restores antiques, it looked pretty good. I offered him a cost price stand but he didn't like it. Panasonics would be tricky, the legs are tapered. But Pioneer and fujitsu, the legs bolt on outside. You could do this with Panasonic I guess, just not the way they do it.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I appreciate that they were initially not for normal consumer use, but many these days are. In any case, if you are talking about an estore selling them for home cinema use..... well in that case there is no excuse for not having some sort of mount.

Surely tvs come with some lovely stands which effectively cost nothing simply because they are in bulk, if every plasma was sold with a little table top stand they would be dirt cheap to the manufacturers so cost us much less than £150 a head! :eek:

It also confuses the pricing on sites cos sometimes stands are included so comparison of prices is a bit awkward since you need to read the small print!

ad

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    buns

As per MAW's post if its Plasma Display models your looking at then the vast majority are sold to the commercial market and they would not be happy paying for Pedestals they don't require and what do you do with 50 pedestals when your wall mounting the screens around someone's office complex.

Pioneer's approach with the MXE displays is neat - a set of cheap and cheerful plastic table top feet; though not everyone likes them for Home Theatre use and they don't lift the screen much above your table top so no room for a centre speaker.

Best regards

Joe

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I have decided to finally wall mount my panny - so have to order a wall bracket. Looked at av-sales where I got the plasma from and seemed to be at the £150 mark - anyone know any cheaper wallmounts?

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0