why put a blu ray disc with a 4k uhd disc?

buddy777

Established Member
Reaction score
I only buy 4k discs now but every one i buy includes a seperate blu ray disk as well,WHY i only want the 4k and will never play the blue ray but i must be paying for 2 discs not just the one?

It was the same when BR first appeared, the SD DVD was often included. I can only think that it is to justify the high prices charged.

You may be right,but i begrudge paying for something i will never use
The extras are very often only on the blu-ray. If you never watch extras then why not just sell the blu-ray. As for paying for something you never use, the discs which have been released without the blue-ray cost the same as the ones with a blu-ray i.e. the blu-ray is free.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

Who would want to buy a disc without the box
Plenty of people if it is a new release. Look at some of the sales here. You can always sell the box and just keep the UHD. Some people sell the UHD with box and keep the blu-ray.

Glad the BR is included.

I don't the equipment to rip UHDs into my home server.

I don't have nearly 4,000 UHD discs, but most of them cam with a HD blu-ray, one exception being a steelbook of Almost Famous.
The one that bugs me the most is the Jurassic 5-film set, there's a whole other case of blu-rays included, which is just taking up space.

I still have a lot of old sets that are BR/DVD in one box & in a few cases the DVD has more features, so I hold onto them.

Just bought UHD Running Man on Vudu & it has Zero bonus material, so I will be holding onto the DVD that's in a wallet of a dozen.

The UHD Lifeforce set I just bought last week, the only special features are on a HD blu-ray in the set.

I find them very handy when I want to lend a film to my brother who doesn't have a UHD setup but does have bluray.

Personally, I can think of two reasons:
1. Sometimes the sound format can be different.
2. Sometimes you can start watching the UHD find it looks grainy, skip to the same scene in the BR and prefer the picture.

One case that gets both thumbs up from me is when a 3D bluray is included with the UHD.

Personally, I can think of two reasons:
1. Sometimes the sound format can be different.
2. Sometimes you can start watching the UHD find it looks grainy, skip to the same scene in the BR and prefer the picture.

Nothing more annoying when this happens, I remember this with Oceans 11, one of my first 4K discs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom