Why Players and not HCPC's?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stevey, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why pay all this money for a dvd-player like £1000's when you can just bung in a £80 dvd-rw into a HCPC and build it for less!
    And have hdd to record on etc.

It's crazy

[Edited by Kelvin - Title Changed]

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cause they give
    better performance

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Cos my PC is used by the kids untill around 9pm.....i only get the odd half hour.
    So when would i get a chance to play a movie on it.
    Plus my DV89 looks a lot better than the PC case and run's a lot quieter.
    Have you ever seen a Tower PC case on an A/V rack.....it just does not look the same.

4. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are shuttle cases you know

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    MOD COMMENT

Stevey,

I will alter the title of this thread, and allow it to stand for now on the basis that it may give rise to some interesting discussion regrading the use of HCPC's vs DVD Players.

For future reference though, be a little more thoughtful in the way you construct your title's.

K.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think players are yet competition for hcpcs, at least not on their own. Very few players (exception being some of the dvi machines) can achieve a 1:1 pixel map with a projector or plasma, that is where the pc is killer. Even those that can output upscaled signals are not anywhere near as flexible as an hcpc. Add to that that the hcpc will quite likely cost less.

PCs do have problems though, they are not user friendly, you have to be computer literate to operate it and you have to be very good to interface it for others, most people just dont want this hassle. They also tend to have more issues...... most pc users will spend plenty of time tweaking for whatever reason, stabdalone player users wont. PC's also have potential sonic limitations, even the guru of pcs, Jeff, is looking into the use of a high end player for this reason. Then you have the fact that a pc is totally useless if you dont use projector or plasma (lcd or similar) display. A pc with a crt tv will have difficulty bettering even a budget standalone deck.

So at this point, you use pc because it gives better picture performance with a capable display but accept it is potentially troublesome in operation and might not sound so good.

BUT, if you add a video processor to your standalone deck, you even the field. The standalone player and processor can now compete in performance with the pc picture. It will have all of the benefits with few of the negatives of the pc. Albeit of course at more cost. And that is it...... cost. If you have the money, you will likely go standalone player and possibly processor. If you want better value and have the time, its pc time!

Horse for courses

ad

7. kid rock

kid rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Who the hell wants a computer in the lounge, whirring, wires booting up, electrocuted 2 year old son, peeeed off wife, a lounge that reminds you of the office at work. No my computer is in the smallest room in the house which is where i am now sitting.:thumbsdow

Kid Rock

8. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean you have your PC in the bathroom? :laugh:

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    You just described a Sky Plus box perfectly ;)

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a friend gets electric shocks from a sky+ box, is this a known problem?

ad

ps sorry to go off topic

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,668
    You know what I can't understand why anyone would pay upwards of a grand for a standalone dvd player either! I'll take my HTPC any day, better PQ, music jukebox, hidef player, movie jukebox, internet browser etc etc . And they can be user friendly, you just have to use the right interface and a remote!

Andy

12. kid rock

kid rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Our bathroom is bigger than my office at home !!!!

Kid Rock

13. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Funny this thread should appear, because today I went back to using a DVD player from a HTPC.

I've been using a HTPC pretty much since I bought my Barco 800 CRT about 2-3 years ago and to be fair it’s worked well, but the hassle of buggy drivers, dodgy hardware and ease of use were the deciding factors on going back to a standalone DVD player (well along with an I-Scan Ultra).

The joy of being able to switch it on and press the play button without waiting for boot up screens to finish, drivers to load, LCD panels to kick in, networks to be found is immeasurable. Don't get me wrong I'm not so naive to think that the picture is as good as my HTPC but it really isn't that far off at all and still looks superb (the rest of the family can't even tell the difference). Oh yes and the noise...... well that's it, there is no noise! just silence! ohhh the joy of it all!

I still think HTPC's are one of the most flexible way's of getting the best out of most display devices but the time needed to tweak and re-tweak and keep everything running was just getting to be a pain in the arse and was actually starting to detract from enjoying the movies (is ffdshow making things better? is this cineplayer codec panning better? etc etc).

So for me it's back to my DVD player and happier stress free home cinema experience :smashin:

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Amen! :thumbsup:

ad

15. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly why I've just made the same move. Even with my budget player, I'm enjoying movies more than with my PC because I'm not thinking about the shortcomings in the image and how to address them. Sure the picture ain't quite as good - but it's good enough for me to enjoy my movies. What more do I need?

_

16. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that one day, the HTPC will be the standard for home cinema installation and will be seen as the hub that will integrate with the amplification mechanism, but for now standalones are much more simple in use, and still being pushed hardly by Audio/Video manufacturers. The norm consumer does not yet see what are the potential of an HTPC. A well set-up HTPC, can be used for any application that one can imagine starting from writing a simple letter, to editing video clips, media mass storage, viewing films through a projector, playing games, recording your favourite sequel etc. etc.. Hardware is currently available to tune your HTPC to integrate seamlessly with your current HT products. Manufacturers surely do not want us to see this picture, as they will need to change the concept of how to address the market with there products or they will surely be out of the market in a while!

17. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a programmer I certainly have no fear of computers.

But the reason I have a DVD player is the same reason I have an XBox and PS2 and a GameCube, turn it on, put a disk in and thats it. No configuration issues etc and guaranteed to work.

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont think that the pc will become standard for some time. I already said that they are useless for use with a tv and no one can argue with that. Given that the huge majority of users will have tv only, the pc just cant take over. Even should we get to the stage where tvs can typically accept a progressive image, the hcpc as we know it will not be the norm. At that point, the pre built pc (as a few forum sponsors provide) will become standard. For the current hcpc tweakers, there will always be new drivers, so the continuous tweaking will never change..... so in my view, we'll gradually see a new form of home entertainment centre appear in the form of a pc, but it will be pre built, pre configured and the normal pc interface will not be present. So it will be basically a standard consumer unit, not a pc. So really, the whole situation will not really have changed.

ad

19. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What languages do you code, do you code C++?

Well you could make it so you have no account on windows xp and then you could put media player for example in startup.ini. Then all you have to do is select you file and off you go!
    30 Seconds Maximum?

Also pc's can be quiet just get a passive hsf!

20. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Object Pascal (Delphi)
    PHP/HMTL/Javascript
    PL/SQL (Oracle)

and currently doing a Java course.

21. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,667
    Because computers scare me :blush:
    I also like heavy duty casework.

22. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see some comments here regarding poor sound quality from HTPC, mine seems to be excellent using a audigy 2 card feeding a high end Yamaha 5.1 via the SPDIF output

am i missing something?

23. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HCPC picture can rival a dvd player costing many thousands. Although the sound can match up to a good enough dvd player, this probably means a £500 dvd player. When you compare to a dvd player at a couple of thousand pounds, the sound is no longer as good

ad