1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why only Yamaha and Denon?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brox, Apr 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had some experience with Yamaha receivers having owned the 590 and 592 RDS models and recently demoed the newer 620 model but they were all surpassed by my Harman Kardon AVR500. I've not heard Denon but are willing to believe they are very good.

But these two brands and to a lesser extent Sony are all you ever hear about on this chat site - does anyone own or listen to anything else?

Harman Kardon gets very good reviews in HCC but you don't hear them mentioned at all, can't understand why.

Is it all hype, is it just self fullfilling so that since Denon and Yamaha are always mentioned people assume they are the best.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has demoed or owned a number of differant companies kit.

Where did this reputation for Yamaha and Home cinema come from was it What HiFi? i'm not always convinced that they are unbiased in their reviews.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    I guess to answer your question you have to go back in time.......

In 1986 Yamaha released the first Amplifier with Dolby stereo for use with Stereo video. Then again in 1989 with the introduction of dolby surround, the first to use a dedicated centre channel.

Denon started (I think) in 1990 with a prologic amp.

No other manufacturers offered such features for Home cinema.

Yamaha first then Denon. It was a few years before the likes of Kenwood, sony etc entered the HC scene.

The other reason these two are so popular is the fact they usually have the most up to date features available. 1996 saw Yamaha release the first ever Dolby Digital Amp for use with laserdisc. Denon the first with dts-es and neo6.

No-one says anything bad against other manufacturers, but these two companies are usually at the cutting edge and have more to offer when it comes to connections, upgrades and features. Not to mention a long and distingueshed line of HC products.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    Philips invented the Cd player didn't they..? but their CD players are naff....

However i think a lot of people just buy on hype and other peoples opinions. And then when they get the amp, they think it sounds good, and it proberly does. BUT if they haven't listened to another amp in the same price range, they have no yardstick to measure the performance against.

So when people say that "x" is good or "y" is amazing, against what other amp's are they comparing them against.??

I've demo'd many a setup, (well the missus made me, until we found one she liked).....and there is major differences in sound quality, features, etc....

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the UK and Portugal is the Denon, in US and France is the Onkyo (wich I prefer), but I think Brits and Portuguese, in general, prefer a more "polite" sound, the others more dynamic...

As for Yamaha, I think it is the advertising, lots of musicians use their professional equipment, the sound is impressive, but too clinic for my taste...

In Canada I had an Harman Kardom, very good, but a little too bright...

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But these two brands and to a lesser extent Sony are all you ever hear about on this chat site - does anyone own or listen to anthing else?

Sure are, but I assume the majority owns Denon and Yamaha, so that's why it appears they are the only ones talked about.
    There is Sherwood in the budget market, a few years ago Sony was well sought after (925, 930 and 940 but now they lost "it") and now Marantz and Harman come into the picture as does Onkyo. Not to mention the more expensive kit from Tag, Meridian or Proceed - but there aren't many which can afford it.

The choice is yours. :)

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sony are back-try the str-va555es. available around £720.00.

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

I demo'd both the 3802 and the 7200 and ended up with the Pioneer VSX909 :) I just enjoyed it's sound more than the other's which is what it's all about really, personal preference :) It doesn't do PLII but I wouldn't have made much use of it anyway. It can do EX and ES (with the aid of a power amp) and has THX Ultra certification (which is nice). Plus you can get it for a really good price if you shop around.

Demo demo demo is the phrase that's used a lot on this forum and there's no better way of putting it.

Cheers

Dave

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a DSPAX1 owner I have to say "I LOVE IT"
    In the right system, it rocks.........and its not bad with music.
    While yamaha keep making good reliable gear they deserve
    the good press they get.

9. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    POO BUM, have to disagree here, I upgraded to a AX1 from a A1, and just don`t like it full stop. I know its had rave reviews in the past, but I don`t rate it and its getting replaced! What speakers. source etc you using, as compared to my old DSPA1 it just ain`t as good, especially for music!