Why only 4 or 8? Why not 6?

alex

Why do i only see people install RAM in 1, 2, 4, or 8 GB configurations? Why not 3, 5, 6 or 7?

Also I have a Giga-byte P55M UD4, and i wanted to put above 4 gb of RAM in. Could i put 6 in? Crucial only shows me 4 or 8.

Michael

Ram is generally put in matched pairs to improve performance.
So say you want 2GB total, you get 2x1GB sticks.
This usually gives multiples of 2.

People also tend to get ram that is a perportion of their total ram, so if they decide to upgrade one day, they don't have to chuck out the old stuff.

For example, my board has a max of 8GB spread over 4 slots, so when I got my first ram, I got 2x2GB, ready to expand.
If I'd got 3GB (a 1Gb and a 2GB), I would have to replace the 1GB with another 2GB, wheras now I only have to put more in.

6GB configurations do exist, but they are usually part of 6-slot configurations, such as 3x2Gb to fill 1/2 the slots, which are less common.

eni

6GB configurations do exist, but they are usually part of 6-slot configurations, such as 3x2Gb to fill 1/2 the slots, which are less common.

It all depends on the architecture of the CPU/Motherboard in use.
Whether; Single-Channel, Dual-Channel, or Triple-Channel is in use.

Almost all processors and motherboards are either Dual-Channel or Triple-Channel, given that Single-Channel is practically obsolete.
Core i7 are currently the only processors using Triple-Channel configurations as far as I'm aware.

MarkE19

Core i7 are currently the only processors using Triple-Channel configurations as far as I'm aware.
Core i7 CPU's are available in 2 socket versions - LGA 1156 & LGA 1366. The LGA 1156 CPU's run with dual channel RAM and only the LGA 1366 CPU's can run triple channel RAM.

Mark.

eni

Core i7 CPU's are available in 2 socket versions - LGA 1156 & LGA 1366. The LGA 1156 CPU's run with dual channel RAM and only the LGA 1366 CPU's can run triple channel RAM.

Mark.
In which case, Core i7 CPUs are still the only CPUs that use a Triple-Channel configuration...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom