1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why old Standards

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by annefromuk, Nov 17, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that bothers me is how in the UK we are left out in the cold.

The UK Goverment says that all transmissions need to be in Digital by a certain date (the only benifit of digital to us is more channels)

However in the US not only did they say go Digital, but they said that they need to broadcast in HDTV format (they decided on final standard a couple of weeks ago, I think it was 480p)

Why do we need to put up with the old PAL system, and bad Hollywood Conversions to PAL and even Worse Game Conversions to PAL, the UK goverment should have copied the US and used the US HDTV Standard.

One more thing that bothers me, is that Sky has only just decided to start using Dolby Digital Sound, due to consumer pressure (they would prefer to cram in more TV Channels as they make more money that way)

Anne

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I refuse to believe that. Sky would be broadcasting in widescreen if that was the case.

It has more to do with income. Broadcasting a couple of audio streams in 5.1 takes up little space on the platform and requires very little outlay. They then make sure that only the sky+ box is able to handle 5.1 so the home cinema enthusiasts, who are known to be early adoptors and willing to spend, purchase the sky+ and the extra £10pm that goes with it.

DD5.1 requires the consumer to spend an extra £10pm. Widescreen broadcasts do not bring in any additional income to sky.

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I recently had a hdtv demo in the U.S
    The broadcast was 1080i.
    The pictures were fantastic,even on 60" r/p tv's.
    The pictures displayed were definately better than my dvd playback,which I previously thought was outstanding.
    I am impressed!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There are plenty of arguments for goverment to stay well away from Television and any private business but looking at the HDTV in the states it seems a positive move by the regulators to set the TV standard of the future and force broadcasters to meet it.

I seem to remember reading FOX wanted the extra digital capacity for more channels (sound familiar?) but were told in no certain terms they'd go HDTV or lose any rights to extra capacity.

5. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not all great...try getting a widescreen TV or a multi-region DVD player in the US...

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I've just done a little bit of work on a HD show and I wasn't particularly impressed with the image. It just looks like big video ie more resolution but there is no subsequent improvement on the dynamic range or the colour detail. Film definitely doesn't lose anything to it. Sure it looked very sharp ( almost too busy to be honest) but it still had that flat bland look of video

And this was uncompressed HD I'm talking about 1920x1440 ( it crops to smaller than this on final) at 4:4:4 originally shot in 35mm and datacined on a spirit so its pretty much as good as it gets . Bear in mind this was effectively a bit higher than HD master quality : transmission would have a large amount of compression and significant downsampling in the colour. I was viewing on a pro-grade 32" 16x9 film res CRT monitor ( 40grands worth).

Sorry guys it just looks like BIG video.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    End of the day it doesn't really matter, we aren't going to get any improvments in picture broadcast quality/technology for the foreseeable future.

8. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    At the end of the day all this technology won't make the crap programs better.

I'm quite happy with digital tv I get from NTL. It's good enough I think, though dolby digital (or dts) would be great as i have an av amp + spkrs. For me the main quality requirement is when it comes to dvd. Also most useful thing for me with HD would be that it would be nice for plugging in pc and playing quake etc on, but then my vitros can be upgraded to have a vga input.

I can see how the high resolution could be good for sport though as, in theory, you could fit more of what's going on, on screen. HD would be nice to have

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Nah just because you've got more pixels doesn't mean you can have any wider a veiwing angle. It will be sharper and thats it but the shots themselves will be the standard angles. Angle is down to the camera focal length of the lens not thew resolution of the CCDs.

Whats you could do is split screen and have four standard def windows tiled together showing different angles of the same event simultaneously ( or you could use the HD bandwidth to give you 4 full size standard def angles to flip between on the same bitstream )

Remember the TVs in Rollerball ?

10. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I did mean to mention that the technology in terms of camera would probably have to change, but was too lazy to stick that in. Problem is this would increase cost to broadcasters I'd have thought.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Nope thats my point the angle of vision on a camera is not related directly to the resolution. A close up is a close up a wide shot is a wide shot if its 720x576 or 2048x1556 the resolution isn't the point the focal length is.

Having more resolution does not mean a larger view it means more detail. The actual size in pixels is bigger the viewing angle isn't.

12. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not to bothered about hd . we can use technology inthe home like scaling ect to get a better effect .

as for anyone that complains that we should have hd then gos on to say they would rather have ntsc than pal , is that not a contradiction seeing as pal is a higher resolution format

i would rather they just use more bit rate for the channels . i do see that they seem to be getting better though on sky

i do hope we get more of the interactive stuff like walking with beasts though they do make up for what we don't have a bit

13. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    What on earth does *that* mean? Widescreen TV's are common in the US. Like the *fabulous* Pansonic CT-34WX50 HDTV 34". And why would anyone in the US even *want* a multi-region player????? The only reason it took off over here is because we are ripped off with Late, Poor Quality, Featureless, DTS-less R2 versions. In the US, they get everything they want on R1 anyway!

Chip.

14. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Widescreen sets are not common in the US. Available yes, common no. Circuit City (as an example) has 84 TVs available on their web site, of which 3 are widescreen.

As for your comments about R1 DVDs....what rubbish! There are lots of things available on non-R1 DVDs that are just not available in the USA....TV programs, foreign language films, even 'unusual' versions of stuff you would think they would get (Like 5th Element in DTS for example).

Don't make the mistake of thinking USA automatically means better. In some (lots?) of things it does, it others it doesn't.

15. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    <RANT>
    :mad: Oh you mean interactive stuff like I get on NTL digital. If I press the interactive button, every once in a blue moon I can access the mini website rubbish. Most other times if I press this button, I wait for ages, and get to a point when all I can do is reset the box by the very convenient method of unplugging it and plugging it back in. All I want is to be able to hear the program in the background when accessing the tv guide, but no, I have to listen to the front row and other ads about a billion times. I'd rather hire films from video shop thanks, usually on dvd with better picture and sound. Also, if I am interrupted at least I can stop and film and watch the rest later. I don't have to worry about not being able to watch the rest of the film cos of macrovision. </RANT>