• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why oh why?

cirrus1007

Standard Member
Keeping it short, a few months ago I bought the Samsung wall mounted BR player. Had loads of audio issues culminating in my taking it back. Instead I decided on a Panasonic DMP BD35. I hooked it up to my Panasonic SCHT1500 home cinama system and wow, fantastic. Played a few BR discs and very impressed - until tonight. Ordered 'The Wrestler' and wacked it in the BR player only for my home cinema system to say that the disc is 'unsupported'. Exactly the same probs I had with my Samsung. Now, if I change the audio settings to PCM and not Bitstream (which is the satisfactory setting for the othe discs I have watched) then it only plays in pro logic and not 5.1. Is there a chance that the technology in the SCHT1500 is too old for the BR player? Bought the SCHT1500 4 years ago.

Please help cos I am getting to the stage where I just want to bin the lot and start again!

ianfretwell

Established Member
I would think this is because the discs that worked OK defaulted to standard Dolby Digital and perhaps 'The Wrestler' defaults to 'TrueHD' which the Panasonic SCHT unit maybe can't deal with (especially if it's 4 years old). Somebody else would have to confirm seeing as I don't have any of the kit involved (or 'The Wrestler').

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Another issue is keeping a Blu-ray player up to date and connecting the ethernet socket at the back to your home network would resolve a lot of issues, my Samsung has updated itself a couple of times since purchased and everything works great with what every disc I have thrown at it. Basically your AV system would only handle DTS or Dolby digital and nothing more and as suggested that could be the problem.

petet66

Established Member
It does sound as though your old amp can't cope with the sound being output from your new player. As I understand it all Blu Rays must have a legacy soundtrack either DD or DTS. Set the player to output this from the optical output and it should be fine.

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
Actually, I reckon that you system cannot accept DTS, and so any discs which only have DTS soundtracks (which would include the Wrestler and also Wall·E, amongst others) will not be able to be played back in 5.1 via your system. This of course, will happen whatever the player.

If you want to stick with an all-in-one home cinema, you might as well upgrade to one of the new Panasonic Blu-Ray models, which are fine for what they are, or you could spend not too much more money on proper separates (and keep the BD35).

awink1

Distinguished Member
Have you actually set the optical out on your BD player to bitsream?

If you haven't, all you'll get is 2 channel PCM, which would explain the Prologic II

Your system can definetely decode DD 5.1 and DTS as per spec sheet so you should be able to enjoy proper multichannel sound

cirrus1007

Standard Member
Yes, it was all set to bitstream and as said, played with no problems. As soon as I put the Wrestler in (and Valkyrie) it decided it could not play. Very confusing as per the previous post, the home cinema system is able to decode the signals and although 4 years old was all singing and dancing when new.

awink1

Distinguished Member
Do either disc come with other language options?

Could you try and see if the other soundtracks play "properly"? From what I can see both films come with 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio.

Do they have BD live material? You might have to connect to the net as they might need to download additional files to work properly...

cirrus1007

Standard Member
What is strange is that iirc the trailers for other films play in 5.1 and as soon as the film is played it just comes up with 'unsupport' on the display. I will have to try and connect to the net and see if that changes anything.

awink1

Distinguished Member
What is strange is that iirc the trailers for other films play in 5.1 and as soon as the film is played it just comes up with 'unsupport' on the display. I will have to try and connect to the net and see if that changes anything.

Don't forget that you'll need at least a 1Gb SD card in the slot for BD Live to work :thumbsup:

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Your system can definetely decode DD 5.1 and DTS as per spec sheet so you should be able to enjoy proper multichannel sound

No the problem is with the Panasonic SCHT1500.
As is typical with practically all Panasonic all-in-ones, DTS is ONLY supported on the built-in DVD player. The optical input DOESN'T support DTS hence why you can't bitstream the DTS & have to change to PCM.
ie If you play a DVD on the built in DVD player you get DTS fine, hence why you've not noticed anything unusual the last 4 years. Problems begin if you connect external equipment to it via the optical input, as it can't decode the DTS soundtrack.

Page 44 of the manual -
Detailed look at the specs says (the line just above the 'TV Tuner section'): Digital input-Optical input(Dolby digital, PCM)
Panasonic Terms of Use
Panasonic Terms of Use

Steer clear of Panasonic all-in-ones, as their current models still don't support DTS over the optical input.

Last edited:

awink1

Distinguished Member
As is typical with practically all Panasonic all-in-ones, DTS is ONLY supported on the built-in DVD player. The optical input DOESN'T support DTS hence why you can't bitstream the DTS & have to change to PCM.
ie If you play a DVD on the built in DVD player you get DTS fine, hence why you've not noticed anything unusual the last 4 years. Problems begin if you connect external equipment to it via the optical input, as it can't decode the DTS soundtrack.

Page 44 of the manual -
Detailed look at the specs says (the line just above the 'TV Tuner section'): Digital input-Optical input(Dolby digital, PCM)
Panasonic Terms of Use
Panasonic Terms of Use

Steer clear of Panasonic all-in-ones, as their current models still don't support DTS over the optical input.

Good information :thumbsup:

tom 2000

Distinguished Member

Page 44 of the manual -
Panasonic Terms of Use
Panasonic Terms of Use

So many people fall into this situation. I think Panasonic are less than upfront about it.

cirrus1007

Standard Member
Thankyou for the insight. So, are we saying that to watch certain films I will just have to accept that I can only watch in Pro Logic then? Seems a shame is that is the case.

cirrus1007

Standard Member
Ok, so just chewing the fat, what sort of set up / money would I need to achieve a s/s system that can give me 5.1. on everything

hippo99

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of All-in-ones on Amazon for about £150-£200.
You just need to make sure that it can handle standard Dolby & DTS over the optical input.

If you want to upgrade to HD audio (TrueHD/DTS-MA). There are also lots of Sony All-in-ones that can accept PCM over HDMI, thus giving you HD audio (as the BD35 has onboard decoding of HD audio). These are around £300-£400.

Have a look in the 'All-in-one' thread for ideas http://www.avforums.com/forums/all-one-systems/.

If you want separates, then its as much as you want to pay :smashin:

DTS is being used more & more on Blu-rays now. Fox, Universal & Disney are more or less always DTS. Sony, Warner & Paramount are usually Dolby with a couple of DTS. So pretty soon as you get more films, you're gonna have half your films in Dolby & half in DTS, so you'll probably want to replace your surround system at some point.

Last edited:

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Ok, so just chewing the fat, what sort of set up / money would I need to achieve a s/s system that can give me 5.1. on everything
As above. You need not break the bank. Just read the small print and post your choice to AllInOnes and somebody will comment.
Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom