1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why oh why did I order a PV500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by MokerJoker, Jun 13, 2005.

1. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So I went shopping for a 37" PA50. It's the most sensible choice. Reasonable priced. No HD, but I don't have that and I don't need that. Good design. Not great, but not ugly either. Good picture quality and basically all the features I need. So why did I order a PV500 instead...?

Erm... maybe it has to do with the fact that I saw it today side by side with a Pioneer 435, an Hitachi PD7200 and a PW7? :D

Anyways, a big thanks to all of you forum members. I've been reading these forums for several years now and I can't say it made my decision easier (blissful are the ignorant), but I sure did learn a lot!

2. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I presume from the big grin that you found it to have better picture quality than the others ?

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    You won't regret it :thumbsup:

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
  5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
  6. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    :p

7. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As long as I keep my lenses in... :cool: <-- (and don't use these)

To clarify my post: Yes, the PV500 looked better than the others.

A bit of a bizarre experience: The guy runs an internet shop, but uses a corner of a bathroom shop to show plasmas to customers. So on the left was the PW7, in front of me the other screens, to the right the toilet bowls... and on display Dumb and Dumber (the toilet scene) :eek:

But he knew what he was talking about. He already toned down the settings of the plasmas, so they weren't too bright and overly colorful like in most shops. On the Hitachi however, he couldn't get the colors right. We both played with the settings, but red seemed more like orange. We even went as far as 'worsening' the PQ of the PV500, but it still looked better. Maybe a calibration on the Hitachi could solve all that, but I'm not willing to bet my money on that. Besides, the overall PQ of the PV500 was more pleasing.

The Pioneer was struggling with SD material. There was no TV-feed available (who wants to watch TV in a bathroom shop), so I used low bitrate 'making of' documentaries on DVD. The Pio showed more noise and its picture was kind of fuzzy; it just didn't look as sharp and smooth as the Panny. Another customer came in to look at the Pio, but immediately said that the PV500 looked better. Always nice to have a second opinion.

The PW7 was good as well, just not as smooth as the PV500. Hard to describe, but it looked a bit 'rough'. The PV500 really has a CRT-like picture and that clean, smooth, sharp image won me over.

- Jerry

8. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm gonna wait for the comercial pw8before I upgrade.
    If the roumours are right (PLEASE!!!!) then it has an eighth of an intch surround!
    :eek: :eek:

9. Swa

Swa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And why didn't you buy the pa50 at plasmavisie :D

10. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Uhm... dunno. I got distracted somehow... :)

11. Swa

Swa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously, why did you buy the pv instead of the pa?

12. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It is more a feeling than an purely objective observation. The PV500 felt more natural, the way TV is supposed to be (sort of more CRT-like, less plasma-like). I noticed it immediately when entering the shop. It stood out, even before I could see what model it was. It wasn't just the colors, or the sharpness, or higher resolution or the lack of noise; the overall picture is just right and very pleasing. Maybe the PA50 can deliver that too, but I know the PV500 can. Is the PV500 worth the extra cash? After today, I think so (or I wouldn't have bought the darn thing. And I still think it is quite ugly).