Why o why aint all dvds anamorphic

C

coolhand101

This used to happen a lot in the early years, non-16x9, flippers.

now warner brothers have committed to make every dvd anamorphic, its a shame that other major studios arent all following this way, even small studios managed it on there disks.

but what really gets me worked up is recent films were the main screen is anamorphic and then jumps widescreen for the film(somewhere in time for example),is it really that difficult to encoded it.
the rewind website is great for knowing all info about a disks technical features, but they dont list all films that you want to get.

im lucky that all of my non-anamorphic dvds were brought really cheap(5-9 pounds)and thats the way it should be because no doubt they will release a special edition with this feature.

but saying that, the worst anamorphic dvd i own is "bride of re-animator" that is the worst transfer i have ever seen for a 16x9 disc. not gonna even think about it what it looks like blown up in ZOOM mode:laugh:

It's usually because they use an old non anamorphic laserdisc master to make the dvd where they won't pay for a new transfer or perhaps the original print has deteriorated too much.

In the early days studios were worried not all dvd players could handle the anamorphic side of things correctly so released non-anamorphic now i figure 95% of all releases are anamorphic.

(( yes i did pull that figure out of a hat ))

hmmm true, but the likes of titanic,the aybss and star trek 6 not being anamorphic, the link to them 3 films is they were shot in super35mm.
terminator 2 was shot in super35mm and is encoding to 16x9 so i really cant seem the reason for first 3 films above!

thanks

the dvd spec has always had 16x9 downsampling built into it to cater for 4x3 televisions. Either with a letterboxed downsample or a 4x3 pan and scan mode ( rarely used). There has never been a problem with dvd player not handling 16x9 "properly".

The letterbox transfers of the mentioned films and the fact they are super35 have no connection.

Apparently some of the very first players had a problem converting to 4:3 letterbox, without distorion,which was why the early discs for Buena Vista were mostly non-anamorphic. Even when Fox finally joined the dvd market they took a long time to get into anamorphic. I remember when the Alien Legacy was first announced, for a long time it wasn't clear what the format would be.

Nowadays though, as cybersoga says, they are just being cheap.

I havent brought a Buena Vista dvd for a while now, even though most of their titles are anamorphic im pretty sure its the only company still not showing it on their dvd cases???.
As im getting my first projector soon(hs20)im just wondering if anamorphic is more or less a key feature as it is to my 32" sony w/s tv?? i understand it doesnt matter to CRT projectors.
Is this correct?
thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom