Why not use Portableapps on your computer?

sunnysunnysunny

I recently got a new 2GB USB drive and loaded it with freeware portableapps from portableapps.com - applications that have been modified so they require no installer and leave no traces on whichever computer you use them on.
I was wondering after that, why not use those types of programs (i.e portable/no installer) on your computer?
That would mean that no registry entries are created, no stupid Windows Installer problems are ever encountered and therefore your computer runs smoothly and without problems.
Has anyone else done this (not just specifically portableapps, but no-installer programs in general)? How has it worked out for you?

drmcw

Standard Member
I think its time you tried linux ;) With portableapps you still have an install and uninstall but rather than use the windows control panel you use the portableapps menu. Most of the programs are open source and have nix versions so installation is a case of copying the files to the right place and maybe some sort of .config file. A program will use the registry to better integrate with windows, I suppose it's like selling the program's soul to the M$ devil.:devil: I haven't tried portableapps outside of a usb stick, but most of the programs for it have a standalone windows install and still have soul i.e. would use the registry to a minimum, so why not just install them 'normally'?

macleod.mac

I've done it a few times with 7zip and VirtualDub - when I've had the setup file hanging around and either can't find or can't be bothered to find my USB. There are no problems that I've encountered.

But I'd agree with drmcw and just install them normally, unless you particularly want the little menu. In other words, I see no advantage to installing the Portable Apps over the normal apps.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Because they are exactly that Portable Apps. Desktops aren't portable. So there is no need for portable apps to be installed on your main workstation. However, if you move around alot and need to check some random stuff here and there. Then Portable Apps are your thing. Firefox + add-ons + security + etc etc.

You could take it even further one step on install XP on your USB stick (it can be done) and load all of your programs on that ;)

sunnysunnysunny

Because they are exactly that Portable Apps. Desktops aren't portable. So there is no need for portable apps to be installed on your main workstation. However, if you move around alot and need to check some random stuff here and there. Then Portable Apps are your thing. Firefox + add-ons + security + etc etc.

You could take it even further one step on install XP on your USB stick (it can be done) and load all of your programs on that ;)
I have Linux on my USB stick :thumbsup:

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Ditto.

I have Linux (Backtrack) and OperaUSB for windoze on my 4Gb stick. Invaluable.

sunnysunnysunny

TBH, I haven't used it yet. I just received my USB stick less than a week ago after joining Mensa (they sent it free lol) and I straight away loaded it with useless portable applications, and of course, Linux :D
The apps have already become useful at school, where they're still on IE6 :eek:
I run Portable Google Chrome as my browser at school :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom