1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why not get large 4:3 tv with 16:9 optional setting. Also Finlux

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ElizaMay, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ElizaMay

ElizaMay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been on Beststuff's website. He says that if you get a Phillips 28 inch 4:3 telly you can switch to a widescreen setting for widescreen broadcasts and not lose any of the picture. Sounds good to me.If this is so though, why is almost everyone getting widescreen tv?

I also looked at his Finlux tellies.Anyone got any experience with them?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Given that the smallest widescreen size available to conventional CRT televisons is 24" (a visible size that is going to be larger than the one generated by the philips) and these are not that expensive, I struggle to see the point- besides you'd have a large portion of the 4.3 screen doing naff all. There is also the drawback that the unit is "assembled" (I use the term for the want of a better one) by philips. Coupled with the fact that most widescreens have at least 2 scarts and often an S-VHS input even at the 24" level, you would be getting a vastly better specced unit for not much more.
    Know nothing about Finlux- sorry

3. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finlux? Seriously, are they still going?
    I worked at Nokia 12 years when they bought the Finlux name, but Nokia stopped making TV's years ago!

They were good sets back then, and had a price to go with it if I remember.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    My view is that 16x9 TVs are better.

Size is mentally dtermined more by height than by width.

With a WS TV, anything 4x3 properly displayed is the same height as anything 16x9, properly displayed. Hence, the same "size". Anything 22x9 (widescreen movies) IS a little smaller.

With a 4x3 TV, anything that is 16x9 is smaller; anything that is 22x9 is even smaller still.

That makes a 16x9 TV the best shape available. In fact a 22x9 TV would be better still; everything would be the same "size" - as indeed it is in the majority of cinemas.

5. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just changed to a widescreen TV from a very good Toshiba 4:3. The picture quality and the sound from the Toshiba were superb but in widescreen mode only half the screen was being used. On a good DVD like LotR you got a thin strip of image across the middle. It was, frankly, a waste of time watching anything in widescreen mode because you had to pull your chair closer to see what was going on.

I reckon he's just trying to flog yesterday's technology.

I once had a rented TV called a Finlandia which I think was a brand name used by Nokia, as with Finlux. That set was even better than the Toshiba, had superb build quality and loads of features. If Finlux is anything like my Finlandia was, it will be a good set indeed.