why not buy us hdtv´s ?

keyser

Standard Member
Reaction score
How do the american HDTV´s work, they have a double amount of lines don´t they. Do the sources then have an HDTV signal (is that an progressive scan signal) or do the TV´s have a line doubler or something. And is there a reason not to buy a hdtv TV from the us and use it here, and have an progressive scan dvd player and therefore get hdtv images, would that only work with ntsc dvd´s or could a dvd player modify a pal signal to ntsc? How the hell does all this stuff work? Is it a must to get an european TV like the pixelplus, arent most TV´s now compatible with both pal and ntsc signals, and like me I think about 95% of my DVD´s are region 1 so does it even matter.

Briefly: RE USA...

HDTV signals are at present BROADCAST. To recieve them you need a TV with this capability built in or a set top box. Then you need a display wiith a high enough resolution to show the signal.

Not all HiDef broadcasts are progressive in nature, in fact, the popular method is interlaced at 1080i. HiDef, PAL and NTSC are all different standards. A US Hidef TV will doubtless have an NTSC TV tuner in it for standard definition programming reception coupled to some form of scaler to increase resolution to get rid of scan line or picture structure. It is extremely unlikely it'll have a PAL tuner....

Upscaling PAL or NTSC to HiDef resolutions will not give the equivalent of a high resolution image.

Lastly for the likely cost of buying, shipping and paying vat and duty on a US hi-def capable set you might as well just buy a plasma over here....

The imminent release of D-VHS hidef films on tape in US should allow us over here in PAL land to sample the delight that is true hi-definition programming.

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom