1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no U.K. THX?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the badger, Jul 25, 2002.

1. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently noticed that the Special editions in the U.K. of Speed and Die Hard 1 and 2 are virtually identical to the U.S. versions apart from two facts
    1) The U.S. versions can be bought cheaper and in the case of Die Hard purchased together with DH3.
    2) The U.S. versions have THX mastering. Why is this not the case in the U.K.? Does this mean that the U.K. mastering is likely to be inferior or is it just that they are not bothered about the THX logo over here?
    I am not interested in a PAL v NTSC debate just the issue of quality of mastering.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a quick check of my movie list and I have 12 THX discs (out of about 234). They are all Region 1 expect a Region 4 Star Wars Ep. 1.

I have 54 laserdiscs left of which 18 are THX certified - again all NTSC imports

So it looks they just don't bother with UK THX

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there are some THX mastered disks out there where the quality is not as good as non-THX mastered disks. For example, Me Myself & Irene R1 is THX-mastered but does not yield as sharp a picture as, say, Phenomenon R2 which is not THX-mastered.

4. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Maniac R1 is THX Mastered with 6.1 DTS and Dolby :D :eek:

while R2 Maniac is only DD5.1:(

5. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Highlander - The Immortal Edition comes to mind.....

THX Mastered 6.1 DTS ES Discrete.......sounds fantastic until you watch it

I've seen less grain on my Grandad's farm, with the cows there making a better noise ;)

In this case THX means very little, very disappointing

6. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    T2 with THX :D :D :eek:

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) US are cheaper because the target consumer base is a lot larger than the UK consumer base. UK also has higher taxes and the UK Studios want to rip everyone off (remeber first 2 DVD released by Fox UK had an RRP of £24.99, they were both single discs and one was featureless)

DH3 isn't in the set because of different rights owners (they could have released a boxset of all of them in the UK but it would have required a distribution agreement between fox and bv, because conflicts can occur which can affect the release they decided not to bother)

2) They tend to be sourced from the same masters, but Fox International have decided not to pay the licence fee for officially classifying the PAL DVDs as THX (as it's a different video format they would have to undergo a full THX approval).

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The grain is due to the source material, it couldn't be improved without extensive filtering which would have compromised the level of detail in the picture (THX wouldn't do that without approval and supervision of the director) so it could end up with less detail than a VHS version.

(film stock from the 80's seems to be of lower quality)

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    i have a r2 copy of twister that is thx, but the dts r1 version is MUCH better!

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    This IS a sweeping generalisation, and therefore intrisically inaccurate in specific cases - but IMHO, a THX certification usually means poorer image quality especially with respect to Edge Enhancement.