Why no Spanish Primera Division on Skysports-HD?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Bengbeng, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I noticed that the last Barcelona football match was not in high-def on Sky, just SD.
    Here in Holland the match was in true HD glory @ Sport1-HD.

Why doesn't Sky broadcast Spanish matches in HD?

2. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Sky currently only have two HD enabled studios, that are shared mainly between Sky Sports and Sky Arts.

They can't do SD studio, mixed with HD feed.

Some of their studios aren't even 16:9 enabled, which is why some programmes like Spanish football and Golf Night are presented in SD/4:3, even though with the golf it's already been shown in HD during the day!!

They're currently building new studios.

BBC have similar problems, which is why MOTD can't be shown in HD.

3. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Personally I think this studio issue is unacceptable for Sky sports and it is not going to get any better for quite a while yet as the new studio complex is not due to open until late summer 2011 so we are nearly 3 years away from it getting any better.

What I do not understand is there are a number of indie HD equipped studios available so why do they not present the programmes from there instead of not showing HD content in the correct format below is a list of sport that is filmed and broadcast in HD elsewhere but sky show only in SD due to issues over studios

A1 GP
    Golf Night
    Spanish Football
    Grand Prix Speedway
    Some Nascar
    Australian Cricket although there are issues with getting content back to UK in HD although Eurosport managed it fine using new codecs

4. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Personally the SD studio excuse is rubbish. im pretty sure they could show the Footy in HD and have the studio segments in SD. Afterall, except revista, the football takes up most the show anyway. Just an excuse not to pay for an hd feed. Its like the Masters Tennis. Eurosport show the womens in HD yet the mens on Sky is SD.

La Liga this year walks over the English Prem. Its just a shame about the picture.

5. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    This is no problem for Premiere-HD in Germany and Sport1-HD here in Holland.
    All the studio talking is SD, mixed with (live) matches in HD.

6. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    im sure they could send the presenters out to spain to present the show. Im sure 1 HD camera would be sufficient.

7. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Whilst football in itself is obviously very popular in the UK; when you consider only now for the first time Sky are broadcasting overseas cricket in high def, it's of no surprise Spanish football is yet to follow.

It'll happen..one day :D

8. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'm not sure about Spanish football but I know for Speedway GP,Nascar and A1 GP they actually recieve the HD feed but then downscale it for broadcast due to the studio issues I suspect this is the same for the Spanish pimera league matches if I remember correctly though its only certain matches that are filmed in HD as the matches are on two different platforms and one doesnt do HD.

The issue of sending the presentation team out to events is too costly as you all the travel,hotel expenses plus will need a dedicated feed where as they just pick up a clean world HD feed at present.

I am sorry to say that I do not see the situation improving until the new studio complex is open in 2011 as Sky seem reluctant to use other private HD studios or jsut show the presentation in SD

9. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree. I would much rather watch a La Liga game than one from the Premiership. Give me Barca v Real Madrid rather than Liverpool v Chelsea any day of the week! I hope we don't have to wait too long before La Liga is ion HD.

10. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Then why would they cover the European golf live in HD and do the highlights SD/4:3? It's because of the studios.

It's even worse at the BBC. The only HD sport they can cover is 100% OB, as they have no suitable studios converted to HD.

11. Goodoldbakes

Goodoldbakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've noticed a considerable improvement in the La Liga PQ over recent weeks. Not HD but much, MUCH better than previously.

Could be that Sky have started taking the HD feed and downscaling (or whatever it's called) to SD, which I think would give that improvement in quality.

12. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also thought that. Earlier in the season the pictures were quite poor, almost like watching something off utube. The last few weeks have been a lot better.

13. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Ive noticed a major incrase in quality for the sunday games, but the quality of the games on a saturday (usually on Sky sports extra) is simply awful and only watchable on my CRT screen. I think the Sunday games are covered by a different channel over there though. I think spains version of Setanta get the saturday games and Spains version of Sky get the sunday games.

14. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Here in Spain today I can find eight matches being covered.

There's seven matches on PPV at 5pm, 7pm and 9pm CET, in SD and Atlético v Getafe on subscription in HD at 9pm CET.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  15. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I wonder what the argument that Skysports only has 2 HD studio's has to do
    with the fact that they don't cover Spanish football in HD. Tomorrow evening, during Barcelona-Athletic Bilbao, Sky doesn't cover any HD football, so they should have feed space for Barcelona

Here in Holland the match is in HD on Sport1-HD;

Zaterdag 7 maart 2009 | Programmagids | Sport1.nl

16. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Well, one of their HD/16:9 studios is being used for the London presentation of the 5th Cricket Test from Trinidad. The other possibly for the Super League rugby.

They also share the studios with Sky Arts.

17. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on Sky, get this issue sorted and quickly. :lease:

18. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    They are. New studios are built, ready 2010-2011.

Don't forget, neither the BBC or ITV have suitable studios for HD sports presentation , so Sky is well ahead of the game having two.

BBC's sports department will be moving to HD studios in 2011 in Manchester, so until then they won't be able to studio based sports shows.

19. IanMerseyside

IanMerseyside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would rather have the game shown in HD with no studio content if that's what it takes. Alternatively, just give the viewer the option (via red button) to have SD game with full studio presentation or HD game without the studio.

20. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The spanish football over this weekend was an absolute joke. I hear people telling us they watched the Barca vs Athletic game in HD on saturday while we had to sit and watch in what didnt even look like SD. The weekends spanish football looked like You Tube.

Who gives a hoot if the studio content is SD????? With the exception to revista on a tuesday, theres very little time dedicated to the studiio anyway.

Spanish football is unwatchable at the minute. It was starting to look better a month or so ago but completely gone downhill again.

This weekend gone there was no League football shown at all. Where have the saturday championship games gone? What about the monday games???

Also as well if the problem is down to lack of HD studios then how the hell can sky movies show all the films in HD at once like they do???

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY are not going to waste their limited League picks and go up against an FA cup weekend. Not sure about the lack of League action tonight but it's pretty sparse for the next month, not sure how the League contracts specify the amount of Monday games.

Movies don't need a studio, they are on automated playout systems and even most if not all of the continuity is pre-recorded which is one reason why sometimes the timing is off.

22. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Like i said earlier, the match was in perfect HD quality here in Holland on Sport1-HD.

Sport1-HD costs only euro9,95 a month, and has the English matches in HD (the same amount as on Skysports-HD), German matches, Italian matches, Spanish matches and Champions League in HD.
    So they have more HD footy than Skysports, for less money.

Only downside: they don't do the studio itself in HD, but wth cares.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  23. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    What other sports in HD apart from football? There's a lot more than football in HD on Sky.

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Content is cheaper when there is less demand that is why US movies and tv shows generate far more cash from sales to UK broadcasters than anyother country in the world, sharing a common language has plus and minus points.
    In terms of PL footy there is an almost insatiable demand and that means the rights owners are going to hold out for as much as possible and were helped by a second bidder and EU interference thus leading to blind bidding. The ultimate result is the UK consumer has to pay more for the same content where as in other countries that have less demand for the sport or a different TV market in size and variety so the rights cost less so the lower price is passed onto the viewers.
    It's not really an indictment of SKY or it's business model but a simple reflection of how the TV markets work globally so many footy leagues from across the world could be bought by a UK broadcaster for far less than they are sold for in their home markets, it just the way the business operates.

As Bengbeng implies there are more options for the UK footy fan than the UK specific PAY channels if you have the time and money to invest in motorised sat system and can acquire a legal or gray subscription and beyond that sports rights are so cheap they can appear FTA in certain markets that have a minor interest or can not support high value content.

25. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Frequently (at least once or more a week): NBA and Dutch Basketball and golf.

Yes, Skysports-HD has more different sports, but on the footy site Sport1-HD is far better, with
    HD content from over whole Europe.

I've started this topic because i thought Skysports-HD was the holy grail (especially if you
    considered pricing), but now i've seen it in practice (at my work), the amount of HD football (no Spanish/Italian/German
    league's) is dissapointing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  26. wednesday83

wednesday83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well looking at the Listings for tomorrow night theres no HD champions league either. And sadly the Barca vs Lyon game is not listed as HD either on wednesday.

At least the Cricket will be in HD all day long again....... Nice!

27. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Sky have got Roma v Arsenal and Man U v Inter as HD on Wednesday.

28. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    They won't do it. for whatever reason. Most of the Studio's are kitted out for 16:9 now.
    I think Sky are waiting for next season personally. C+ spain have only started HD broadcasts this season and the feed situation from Spain is muddled a best. Audiovisual sport/C+ do not provide any La Liga feeds for international Audiences but they have been sending HD over to the states for a few years. The Current international Distributor Media pro do not officially send out a HD feed, using any other could be considered Piracy but next year they have virtually all the Spanish football rights.

Most HD sports broadcasters who show La Liga are not using the HD feed yet ether.

29. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you look at the Bayern - sporting game description on sky sports 2 it says "also in HD"!!!

But it's not listed on a HD channel! Premiere in Germany should be producing coverage in HD for this one.

It seems Sky cocked up the HD channel allocation for today, Sky sports HD2 is allocated to Sky Sports 3 and HD3 to Xtra. Would of made alot more sense to go with Sky sports 1,2,3 being mirrored on HD sports channels today.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  30. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Yet they still show their expensive HD golf coverage highlights in 4:3, SD on Golf Night. Surely, if most of their studios were at least 16:9 they could use one of those for Golf Night?