1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no Sony SXRD threads?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Sony link for the SXRD Qualia 004

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/QUALIA/jp/index_skip.html

Well Sony have finally released some info on the new upcoming SXRD machine.

[​IMG]

Specs look very promising:-

Around £12,349 MSRP based on Japanese prices, will be much higher when released here.
    1920x1080 res LCOS type panel
    HT1000 type IRIS function
    Colour LCD information display built into top cover.
    2000-1 estimated contrast
    No screedoor
    No rainbows
    DVI-D
    HDMI
    Xenon Bulb

Looks out of this world!

Oh and it weighs about 88 pounds!

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Here's a Babel fish translation

QUALIA 004

With home impression of the cinema you taste
    New development full HD SXRD panel and pure * xenon lamp loading
    Like the cinema film reproduces natural color the projector sale for the foam/home theater which

The SONY marketing corporation sells, by the full HD SXRD panel of new development and the fact that the pure * xenon lamp is loaded, like the cinema film being fine, smooth material feeling expression and, being natural, the ¢ cQualia 004 £ which makes vivid color tone expression possible (SXRD HD projector ' Q004-R1 '). The knitting machine expresses the charm of the various high picture quality sources such as BS digital high vision broadcast and blue ray disk freely, the especially movie source it is the projector for the foam/home theater which can view in the picture quality like the cinema film.

Type name QUALIA selling price (classified by tax) Incoming order target date
    QUALIA 004
    SXRD HD projector ' Q004-R1 ' 2,400,000 Yen August 1 day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full HD SXRD of new development (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) panel
    In order with home, to taste the impression of the cinema, it is necessary to be able to express the amount of information which the software has freely. In order to reappear the place where the rich amount of information which the cinema film has is left without, the original display panel SXRD new was developed.

It is the display panel where the SXRD, on the silicon baseplate of diagonal 0.78 type, formed the fixed pixel of approximately 200 ten thousand pixels, is superior in resolution * contrast * speed of response. By the fact that the SXRD is used 3, entire pixel several approximately 622 ten thousand pixels were actualized in the knitting machine, the industry first HD format (the 1920~1080 dot) to complete correspondence was actualized as a front projector for home of fixed pixel system.

In addition, the smooth picture which does not have the mesh impression with the high numerical aperture where it is merit of reflection type panel constitution, is actualized. Thick black reappearance is actualized until high contrast level and most dark space where vertical orientation liquid crystal technology was utilized low by the drive circuit which can maintain noise, the material feeling expression like the cinema film is made possible. In addition, the high quality which actualizes high-speed response with the narrow cell gap and individual device structure, is not the rainbow straw raincoat by the movement animated picture playback is possible.

New development pure * xenon lamp
    When reproducing the software of the movie, " color " is very important. The production person intends in order to express " color " faithfully, loaded for the first time in industry with the pure * xenon lamp of new development, as a front projector for home. As for the pure * xenon lamp, in the illuminant which is used for the projector of the cinema, expression of the white where the red and beige kind of reappearance which shines and the coming out which are fresh are good is possible. Rich color reproducibility of this lamp, gives the kind of reality which puts the body in image really, can give persuasive power in image expression.

(Edit)*****It has an NEC HT1000 type IRIS!!! *****

Cinema black * professional functional loading
    It adjusts to the space and screen size of the room, it loads the optical iris mechanism which allots the electromotive contraction to illumination optical road surface the ¢ cinema black * professional functional £ which can do black level and to set brightness to optimum state, was loaded. in addition to the power control of the lamp, anew, it is possible to select the optimum black reappearance which is adjusted to viewing environment.

Utilizes expression power of the full HD SXRD panel to the maximum the circuit design which
    Basic signal system adopts the 12bit panel driver of new development to the panel drive step of full 10bit digital signal processing and the last step, expression power of the full HD SXRD panel utilizes to the maximum. In addition, being faithful to rich gradation expression and the field signal the ¢ cDrc - the mf (Digital Reality Creation-Multi Function) by the SONY individual high picture quality digital signal processing circuit of the £ and the like, it makes the image reappearance where the noise impression is little possible.

New 3 D gamma revision circuit loading
    Because the highest ƒ†ƒjƒtƒH[ƒ~ƒeƒB and color balance is actualized, the SONY individual new 3 D gamma revision circuits are adopted. Super high accuracy revision above revision point total 6,000 pointing was actualized.

- Main specification
    Display panel 0.78 Type SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display)
    Approximately 622 ten thousand pixels (2,073,600 pixel _3)
    Lamp Pure * xenon lamp
    Projection picture 40 - 300 types (diagonal * 16:9)
    Color system NTSC / PAL / SECAM / NTSC4.43 / PAL-M / PAL-N automatic / manual change
    Corresponding signal 15kHz video signal and DTV signal (525i / 525p / 1125i / 750p)
    Computer signal (fH: 19 - 72 K Hz and fV:48 - 92 Hz)
    Image input/output
    Video input Composite video x 1 system, S video x 1 system
    Component input 1 system (3 RCA)
    RGB/ component input 1 system (5 BNC)
    DVI-D input 1 system
    HDMI input 1 system
    Power source AC100 - 240V and 50/60Hz
    Electric power consumption Maximum: 980 W (at the time of stand-by mode: 7.8w)
    External size 597 (width) _ 201 (height) _ 745 (depth) mm
    Mass Approximately 40kg
    Main accessory Remote commander other things

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul,

Drool.... Drool...... 1920x1080 LCOS, posted here about this new tech some time ago, didn't spot the PJ coming to market..... if only we had access to a decent amount of HD - I've seen all the demo stuff and clips I can get my hands on and it leaves dvd for dead.... something I would have never thought possible. Imagine it at native resolution.......

One fly in the oinment ( and a rather gi-normous fly at that.....) the quoted price in yen should be compared to the yen price of a HS10 - say 10 times the price ?? Price of HS10 in UK is about £2000, is this PJ going to be a £20k proposition ??? :eek:

No doubt prices will fall, as they always do ( think of the 100s of LCD pj buyers from last year who've seen prices fall 50% in 6 - 9 months..... /thinks..shoulda gone CRT) but I reckon this PJ will still go like the clappers in the US....... Now, I wonder will Mrs Ritz fancy Florida for hols...... it's the only way I'll ever see one !!!!! :D

All the best.

Sean G.

Edit: Kramer should go nuts for this........:rotfl:

4. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much?

I've been waiting and hoping that SXRD was going to be the one...

it is...but not at that price!

Paul, you say it should be higher, do you how much higher?

I must admit it looks cool though!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    I'm not that fussed until I see it. It's Dila by any other name. Dila is still not a CRT beater to me.....unless you want a massive screen size.

It has potential. Looking forward to CEDIA in Sept in Indy. Should be interesting to see how it's progressing then.

Gordon

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I'd normally be hesitant about black level claims for any new non-crt projector as well but as Guy Kuo (a crt owner and crt calibration guru in the US) has already publicly stated that he is very impressed by the pre-production version (and especially the black level), coming from him I'm inclined to think that whilst we may not have a crt beater just yet, we have perhaps at long last met its very near equal.

I honestly think our dream machine is essentially here and that any remaining differences in black level (if they can actually be seen!) between SXRD and crt will be of little interest to anyone other than the folks who get their kicks measuring contrast ratio's.

Now, if the street cost can be reduced by a third (half would be better of course but lets not be greedy) over the next 12 months as well as a reduction in the physical size of the thing I think the crt death bell will finally start to toll. Give it 3 years and some further development and I doubt we'll be talking about crts at all.

Of course, the $ to £ rip-off, sorry conversion, may still price this out of reach for UK folks at least for the moment but competition is driving down prices and I can't see this (or its siblings) remaining a premium priced product out of mainstream consumer reach for too long - too many new developments on their way (HD3 etc) for Sony to ignore.

Exciting times!
    Paul

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I don't think CRT will be finished for a long while yet.

Just as records didn't die overnight with the introduction of CDs etc.

The SXRD "may" be a great product, but most good secondhand 9" CRTs would still give a better image in most ares other than maybe brightness/ ultimate sharpness etc.

What SXRD could bring is "near" CRT quality, all digital chain image.(DVI/HDMI)
    The fact that it is HD 1920x1080 native is a very big deal as well.
    (With HD-DVD/WM9 on the way etc)

The real threat to CRT will be when they drop the price down to the £5,000ish area.

Suddenly, all those secondhand 7"-8"CRTs are going to look poorly spec'ed and over priced!

I'm doing a major upgrade in a few months, and will have to decide to stay with CRT, or go digital.

Until SXRD there was no digital projector that was a serious option. ( i hate screendoor/Rainbows etc)

But the SXRD will only be one option amongst several projectors i plan to demo before buying.

But i will fully admit that i'm drooling at the thought of the new Marantz DV8400 DVI being paired up to the Quilia 004 SXRD!
    Add Marantz's new D-VHS machine and i think i would be in Home Cinema Heaven:devil:

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that could bring the price down quicker is the release a unit with *only* 1280 x 720 resolution, which would suit Europe in particular until HDTV is properly in situ.

These would go head to head with the TI Mustang chip which will soon be available in the new Optima H76 for about 5 grand.

It could be even cheaper with a colour wheel buy lets hope they just don't go there...

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed...........

Awaiting word from an industry source for some more info on this - looks nice though.

Kramer would have to be nuts to consider this given the proposed price :eek:

Still, give it 18 months with more competition/products & I reckon we'll see prices plummet - SXRD for < £2k anyone???

:smoke:

10. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Whilst the SXRD looks to be the Holy Grail, the latest incarnation of the HD2/HD3 chips are not that far behind (other than resolution).

The time when we can buy a fully loaded 16:9 HD2 DLP projector costing less than $5000 is pretty much here, give it a couple of months or so. I for one can't see Sony leaving this lucrative middle ground to its competitors, especially with the demise of the 12HT, I'm hoping it has something up its sleeve SXRD-wise.

If nothing else, digital projection just took yet another massive leap forward and its something we will all benefit from sooner rather than later :clap: The crt strongholds of better blacks and higher resolution are at the very least at this very moment under serious attack. Jump forward a couple of years and I'd be surprised if the the HT king of display is still wearing its crown.

Fulabeer
    I hear what you are saying but if you and I are considering going digital then likely others will too and any new-comers will probably ignore crt totally. The only thing that stopped me from going digital earlier was the black level - if that is now indeed on a par (or even close), I wouldn't touch crt again with a barge pole.

Once my crt came down from the ceiling, it was amazing how much more space there was in the room - whatever goes up next will be a lot smaller and only have one lens!
    Paul

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I must admit to be very inerested in this technology but it is basically a Sony take on LCOS. I am sure it has promise but only time will tell how much. I do like the idea of 1080p though..

I must admit to thinking GLV (Grating Light Valve) and OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) are more interesting technologies though that are potentially better again, now they might be CRT bashers :)

12. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Sony are supposed to have a few more suprises up their sleeve for LCD PJ's.
    I assume this will be maybe a 1920x1080 panel, and maybe higher contrast etc.

I would have switched to DLP before now, if i didn't suffer the rainbows.

The thing is, my Barco is giving a stunning image at the moment. I think this is down to doing one nutter setup six months ago, and then leaving it well alone since!.

13. nick shapley

nick shapley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The traditional flaw of LCOS implementation has been low contrast figures.

If Sony can "marry" the resolution of LCOS with the black level of HD2 dlp ,then we might have the perfect(..for the moment)projector.

The Qualia product is not I think, indicative of what Sony will release as mass market products.

LCOS is actually quite cheap to implement,I think this Qualia is a stop gap for the G90 crt.

Though crt in blackout conditions can yield a superb picture,I think SXRD or GLV (or both) will take over.