1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no SCART switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by loz, Jun 5, 2001.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Given that receivers do have modifications for the European market - like power, RDS - why are there no receivers that have SCART switching instead of phono plugs?
    And some are made by european manufacturers.

It seems strange that every TV, Video and DVD has SCART, but I cant find a single receiver.

Then we could switch RGB instead of composite or s-video.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you have a suitable amp/receier that has component video sockets on the back you can use these to switch RGB signals. If you need a seperat sync you can send it through the composite video secttion.

SCART's are not on the back of amps because there is not enough room, on budget models and you only actually need it for DVD, VCR and an STB (Sky or ON) (Maybe LD as well). This leaves other inputs as a standard phono input, IE CD, phono, tape/md, tuner etc.

Rick

3. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's because most modern Tv's have scart auto switching. You connect directly to the TV, and when your DVD turns on, the TV will automatically switch tho the DVD input. S-Video doesn't have this capability, nor does (I think) component. Therefore, hy would you need Scart switching ?

cheers

Max

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    As you point out, most modern TV's auto switch.
    However, there seems to be endless posts from folks asking how they plug 3 SCART cables into 1 or 2 sockets.
    Luckily my TV has 3 - and therefore caters for DVD, Video and Sky.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is one AV amplifier or pre-amp which actually does the SCART switching, can't recall the make/model though ...

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard it was because Amps/Receivers are the same specs for a worldwide market, whereas SCARTS are only used in Europe. I.E. If you look at a Region 1 DVD player you will not find a SCART socket anywhere on it but they are always there for European Region 2 DVDs. :)

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    you didn't read my original post that says manufacturers do make them specially for the European market - e.g. RDS tuners.

Given that they make plenty of other products that are specific to Europe, and some of the manufacturers ARE European, why would they not make receivers for Europe that do have SCART?
    After all, its not a small market! And all their other products have SCART.
    Why give us RGB and tell us its the best connection, then provide receivers that dont switch it?
    There have been a couple of good reasons put forward here, but I am not convinced yet.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I'd like to postulate that HC Amplifier designers are (unlike VCR and TV designers)intelligent enough to recognise that the PERITEL/EUROCONNECTOR/SCART thingy is actually the work of the DEVIL.

Anyone who has ever experienced
    a) an unwanted signal loopthrough
    b) the difficulty in splitting the video signal from the audio signal (eg so as to do some processing on one but not the other)
    c) left/right channel reversal
    d) a single bad connection in just one of the 21 pins
    e) oh, never mind - I could go on and on

will recognise the sheer simple beauty of an array of RCA phono jacks. And all for the single convenience of a switching signal - which only goes to make us idle.....

I wish I had £1 for every question about cabling that has been posted here - that would either have not been asked, or would have been easier to answer, if we weren't in Europe and didn't have to suffer the ubiquitous SCART
    ;)

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    why didn't you just come straight to the point and blame the French?

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I Blame the French..... :D

11. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oui, oui, c'est possible. Toujours français, toujours seul!

Rough translation might go something like, "Bl**dy French, always have to be unique". Still, who else is going to tell Dubya Bush what they think of his position on Kyoto
    ;)