1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no on-line review for the Pioneer 737

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    I see in the latest HCC Magazine, that in the 'Hot Sutff' section the top DVD is the Pioneer 737.

According to the section, it was reviewed in NOV 00.

However, there is no review 'online', nor is there any mention of it in the 'test reprint' section.

When will this review appear 'online'

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find a review on this very website, just click on testbench on the left and search for "pioneer" in the DVD player reviews.

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Jon,
    I have a 737 so I'll give my impression of it;

Nice looking player, very quiet - I have it right next to me when playing and I can't hear it. Wide range of display options to fiddle with but really comes in to its own when using progressive scan (NTSC only). Component out, scart, S-video and composite connectors.

Picture quality is very good, I think that it produces a better picture than my old Sony 7700 in normal mode (the Sony can't do progressive).

Layer change I would put as average say 1.5 maybe 2 seconds or so. Nice remote (which I rarely use).

If I was buying now and wanted a mid-range progressive scan player I'd go for this or the upcoming Denon 2800 which promises to be better at progressive but is as yet not available to see if it lives up to the promise. If you don't want a progressive scan player I'd stick to the lower priced Sony's or Toshiba, both are very good players ( no experience of current Pioneer non PS players).

If you have any questions ask away.
    Paul

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    You forgot to mention the sound quality. Have you tried it against any othere DVD player?

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    BadAss,
    Good question - and a difficult one to answer! I don't really notice any difference between it and the Sony for movies to be honest, nor would I expect there to be (both players are/were top of the range). BUT, if you are asking about playing audio CD's then I'd have to say that I really wouldn't know as I only play the odd CD on the 737 and didn't buy it for that. I "think" that it may have seperate CD circuitry but I'm guessing and would have to check on it.

Like I said difficult to answer as I'm not really an audiophile but I don't think the 737 is any worse than the Sony. Not much help I'm afraid.
    Paul