why no mkv thumbnails in explorer but everywhere else, help?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by AndyCob, Jan 28, 2009.

1. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Seem to have an odd issue, I have Haali Media Splitter installed and mkv thumbnails generation set to on and I get mkv thumbnails in media center and media player but not in explorer?

Why are the thumbnails not genereated/displayed when in explorer when they work everywhere else and how can I get this working?

Tried all the usual re-install, delete the thumbnail cache etc

Did find someones homemade registry patch which is supposed to fix mkv thumnails in explorer but a bit reluctant to mess with with a command just pulled off the net especially as I have no idea what it does?

The .reg file contains

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{327669A0-59A7-4be9-B99E-1C9F3A57611A}"

Presumably this is a command to make the shell show the thumnails in explorer but for all I know it says please give me a virus and send all my financial info to the nearest scammer.

Anyone know a fix/confirm this is safe and works:lease:

2. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Ah well seem to have tracked those commands through the registry, the setting appears on lots of file types such as avi and the other points to the Hali thumbnail generator.

So I installed it and after deleting and regenerating the thumbnail cache everything now appears to be right.

Did have a few issues with only getting the thumbnail in the details pane and not explorer or the other way around but found deleting and recreating the thumbnails with the details pane off, then switching it on once all the thumbnails had regenerated seems to have got everything working.

So if that helps anyone else just put the command line I posted in a text file renmae it to something .reg and run it to add it to the registry.