Why no electric estates?

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Happy with my current derv save for the fact that it doesn't have rear folding seats (go figure) as it's a saloon and apparently they needed to be spec'd (doh!- bought mine used approved and didn't realise at the time). Anyway - forward wind and the addition of a little nipper to our family means being able to optimise storage that way would've been great - I can't even take this one to Ikea due to limited space.
However, I am not really into SUVs and would like an estate when it comes time to replace in 4-5 yrs time (or sooner if a good deal comes my way).

I was thinking of going electric when I got my current car in 2017 (but didn't) and so would probably do so next time round but am astounded at the lack of all electric estates around. I understand that batteries are generally placed in the floorpan so does this limit what gets made (I would've thought not as the Tesla Model S is saloon - they should be able to make an estate version really).

Is it just a trend that anyone who wants an estate keeps getting ushered towards big fugly SUVs? Does anyone know of any pure electric estate cars on the horizon? (Volvo?).

They are coming online, its just the SUV/Cross segment is just deemed more popular with buyers (Personally prefer a good estate myself as well)

There is the new MG 5 Estate, and isnt the New Skoda an Estate.

The MG looks good value at 20k to 25k OTR. https://mg.co.uk/mg5-ev/

All about the aero.....

Outside Tesla battery tech, no one has enough range in a battery for non aero shaped, loaded estates.

Estates are generally bought to load up family/dog/trips/loads etc - i.e all things that are not particularly conducive to battery range.

Small suv's will come but I think "proper" estates are a long way off yet.

All about the aero.....

Outside Tesla battery tech, no one has enough range in a battery for non aero shaped, loaded estates.

Estates are generally bought to load up family/dog/trips/loads etc - i.e all things that are not particularly conducive to battery range.

Small suv's will come but I think "proper" estates are a long way off yet.
All about the battery weight.
Once they can reduce this, then you'll get the range.
A Model 3 weighs about 350 kg more than say a Octavia estate. Obviously the estate doesn't have a big lump of batteries in it.
And most people who own an estate will likely use it with a single person in 95% of the time anyhow.

Yes that's exactly why I do want one - loading it up with stuff..

Thing is, an SUV is much bulkier and less aerodynamic but there's loads of those appearing as all electric, so why no estates?
SUV's are generally heavier too/same weight so again - why no estates?

EDIT: a coachbuilder has actually made a Tesla estate, so it is feasible imo:

Isn't the Tesla X quite cavernous, @gangzoom ?

Thing is, an SUV is much bulkier and less aerodynamic but there's loads of those appearing as all electric, so why no estates?
SUV's are generally heavier too/same weight so again - why no estates?

SUVs are simply better family cars, kids/people find it easier to get in, the higher driving position is something I really miss when I drive my wifes saloon, and above all they simply provide more personal space which ultimately is what most people want.

Virtually every new car I see on the school/nursey run is now a SUV. Manufacturers will build what sells, and people want SUVs.

I wouldn't go back to a saloon/hatchback now that am use to a SUV, its just a nicer environment to be in. Its amazing how quickly you get use to the luxury of space, I use to think full fat RRs were massive, but these days they just look about the right size for a car.

Selfish I know, but once you are use to any luxury its hard to go back/give it up.

EVs actually make SUVs even more appealing, poor mpg and performance are two things that hinder combustion SUVs. Yet an EV SUV still cost more to refuel, but the absolute cost difference of going from 2p per mile for my Leaf to 3.5p per mile for our Model X is hardly the same as going from a 50mpg saloon to a 30mpg SUV. And EV SUVs accelerate and drive much better than their combustion counterparts.

If you haven't tired an SUV I would suggest giving them a go before ruling them out. As family wagons they are great.

Finally as a dad, if we were to be crashed into by any other road users I would 100% want my daughter to be in the SUV rather than my wifes saloon. There is a saying in India 'might is right', and again from the purely selfish point of view the safty of my own family is my main concern first and foremost, and I speak from first hand experience.

T boned by an idiot who didn't think you need to slow/stop at a T junction. Point of impact was exactly where my daughter would have been (I was actually on my way to nursery). The impact generated enough force to spin a 3 ton+ SUV and shatter 20 inch wheels like they were plastic. I hate to think what damage would have been if I was in a smaller car, and my daughter had been in the back :(.

35229572236_16f84721bd_k_d.jpg

35269663945_5acab236d6_k_d.jpg

34460338003_e105534907_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's all about battery packaging at the moment, and in particular why there are so few sports BEVs too. The new battery technologies like solid state will be key for producing batteries that are getting on for double the capacity in the same weight/size, but probably not going to be available domestically for another 7-10 years.

The problem with SUVs is that things like Nissan Jukes and the Renault counterparts are classed as SUVs. They are hatchbacks with higher suspension and bigger wheels. And awful (having had a Juke for 3 years, it felt the same size as the new fiesta)

It’s not an suv, I’ve seen one in person. They even call it an estate.

Interesting, what would you class the iPace or EQC, to my eyes they all look the same interms of body style.

Infact at 4.9 meters long, 1.93 meters wide, 1.63 meters tall the eTron is pretty much the same size as our Model X, 5 meters long, 1.99 meters wide, and 1.68 meters tall.

So maybe I shouldn't feel bad for driving our X, after all its just a marginally larger estate than the eTron and not one of these selfish SUVs :).

SUVs are simply better family cars, kids/people find it easier to get in, the higher driving position is something I really miss when I drive my wifes saloon, and above all they simply provide more personal space which ultimately is what most people want.

Virtually every new car I see on the school/nursey run is now a SUV. Manufacturers will build what sells, and people want SUVs.

I wouldn't go back to a saloon/hatchback now that am use to a SUV, its just a nicer environment to be in. Its amazing how quickly you get use to the luxury of space, I use to think full fat RRs were massive, but these days they just look about the right size for a car.

Selfish I know, but once you are use to any luxury its hard to go back/give it up.

EVs actually make SUVs even more appealing, poor mpg and performance are two things that hinder combustion SUVs. Yet an EV SUV still cost more to refuel, but the absolute cost difference of going from 2p per mile for my Leaf to 3.5p per mile for our Model X is hardly the same as going from a 50mpg saloon to a 30mpg SUV. And EV SUVs accelerate and drive much better than their combustion counterparts.

If you haven't tired an SUV I would suggest giving them a go before ruling them out. As family wagons they are great.

Finally as a dad, if we were to be crashed into by any other road users I would 100% want my daughter to be in the SUV rather than my wifes saloon. There is a saying in India 'might is right', and again from the purely selfish point of view the safty of my own family is my main concern first and foremost, and I speak from first hand experience.

T boned by an idiot who didn't think you need to slow/stop at a T junction. Point of impact was exactly where my daughter would have been (I was actually on my way to nursery). The impact generated enough force to spin a 3 ton+ SUV and shatter 20 inch wheels like they were plastic. I hate to think what damage would have been if I was in a smaller car, and my daughter had been in the back :(.

35229572236_16f84721bd_k_d.jpg

35269663945_5acab236d6_k_d.jpg

34460338003_e105534907_k_d.jpg
The size of the car wouldn't matter. It is purely on how the car is made structurally that dictates how it is damaged in an accident. Even a small car like the Nissan Micra would take quite a hammering

The size of the car wouldn't matter. It is purely on how the car is made structurally that dictates how it is damaged in an accident. Even a small car like the Nissan Micra would take quite a hammering

In a head on head crash between a Micra or a Model X with each doing 60mph, so 120mph impact speed, which one would you and your family rather be in?

In a head on head crash between a Micra or a Model X with each doing 60mph, so 120mph impact speed, which one would you and your family rather be in?
Neither

I think the best thing is for all of us to go out and get a SUV, that way we can all drive down motorways at 80 to 90 knowing we will be safe, use up what's left of the fuel in the world much quicker and leave our children with nothing. But in the meantime we are happier, children are safer but we just mess up their futures. No I am not an environment nutter just wish people would think of others. I watch SUVS tanking past me on the motorways in excess of 80 to 90 with kids onboard, those drivers should be put in jail for recklessly putting children at risk.
If we all drove aerodynamic cars at the correct speeds then we would all benefit.
Dont get me into white van man driving at crazy speeds knowing full well they could never stop in time.

Err, are you even in the right forum? o_O again?

SUVs are simply better family cars
Disagree. I'd always choose an estate over an SUV. We've had smaller SUV's in the past and the boot space is laughable. After that you have to buy a huge SUV which we don't really want. We want a normal family size car but with a decent carrying capacity...an estate fits the bill much better for us.

Disagree. I'd always choose an estate over an SUV. We've had smaller SUV's in the past and the boot space is laughable. After that you have to buy a huge SUV which we don't really want. We want a normal family size car but with a decent carrying capacity...an estate fits the bill much better for us.
He's never driven a Nissan Juke. You cannot fit a normal sized suitcase in the boot

Interesting US perspective:

wouldn't have a SUV,all has to do with center of gravity for me..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom