Why No Dolby Pro Logic ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PaulBoy, Jan 3, 2001.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    First of all I know DPL is not a patch on DD5.1 but when I watch a movie on Sky Digital I dont seem to get DPL when the movie says it has such a soundtrack ...
    My amp a Yamaha A592 is DPL capable
    I have it directly contacted to my DVD player a Pioneer 626 for full DD5.1 (& DTS)
    Connections between the amp & Digibox are phono leads / Digibox to VCR is SCART / VCR to TV is SCART
    Any suggestions most welcome [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

2. darrellk

darrellk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paul,

Are you saying that the amp doesn't detect DPL and auto switch to ProLogic mode (it won't, you'll have to select it), or is it that you don't hear centre/surround effects when listening, even with DPL mode engaged?

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Darrellk ...
    Thanks for the input - It is the latter - even with DPL (or DPL Enhanced) selected on my amp I dont get any info from the rears
    I read somewhere the Digibox might need to be connected directly to the 5.1 channels on my amp using a SCART to six phono lead but of course my DVD is using those connections
    (sorry if this doesnt make sense!)
    Any ideas would be appreciated ... Paul

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

4. darrellk

darrellk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paul,

Connecting the sky box's stereo phonos to an input on your amp should be fine. a DPL signal is carried within a normal stereo feed. I get DPL sound fine either from a direct stereo connection between SkyBox phonos and amp, or from the Sky Scart, via the TV set's stereo outputs into the amp.

Starting with the bleeding obvious, is your digibox set to output stereo rather than mono? Could one of the phono sockets (or one of the leads) be faulty?

Are you sure there is no sound from the rears - If you're used to Dolby Digital from DVD, the surround effects from DPL seem "subtle" (some would say crap). Try turning up the rear speaker level, or unplug your front speakers, to see if there's anything there. BTW, are you getting Centre Channel sound?

Finally, you cannot always be sure that the broadcaster is transmitting a DPL version of the film/programme. Sky films are marked in the Electronic Programme Guide if they do, and sometimes, even when the credits at the end of the film state "Dolby Surround", the TV broadcaster has bought a version which is not DPL (in fact, a year or so ago, ITV broadcast "Terminator" in mono! Channel 4 (and Film 4 if you've got it) and the BBC are better than most - their digital broadcasts of recent films are almost always in widescreen with surround sound.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Let us know what happens.

Darrell.