Question Why no black borders and only white option?

• Thread starter Deleted member 707962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 707962

I've been looking at some tab-tensioned electric screens and noticed that a Linea Tab-Tensioned is offered with an option of no black borders in a 'flexwhite'.

What scenario does this screen fit? I'm baffled by it, is it the case that you would fit your own border material? Apologies if it's an obvious reason behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Elite Screens edge- free screen and I love it. Borders on a screen for in-home use are plain ugly

Thanks, so it’s purely an aspect ratio thing? Makes sense, I’ve found a draper linea Matt White tab tensioned (130”) that’s a customer return. Would £450 be worth it compared to new cost and the screen type?

Black borders will ALWAYS give you a better perceived contrast ratio.

If picture quality it important to you, get a screen with black (non reflective) bars.

Can a border be applied retrospectively to a tab-tensioned electric? Also, what if the image is projected with a dark background behind the screen?

After some more research it appears that having a dark background brings many of the border pros. I'm tempted by a borderless screen now to do away with aspect ratio problems.

Black borders will ALWAYS give you a better perceived contrast ratio.

If picture quality it important to you, get a screen with black (non reflective) bars.
Why not just have a black background and a border-less screen?
Borders on a screen hanging on a white wall remind me of a cheap over sized LED tv

Why not just have a black background and a border-less screen?
Borders on a screen hanging on a white wall remind me of a cheap over sized LED tv

Unless you want a black Devore velvet wall, you won’t get the levels of black by going borderless.

The blacker the border, the whiter the whites will be on the screen. It’s an optional illusion as much as anything.

Last edited:
After some more research it appears that having a dark background brings many of the border pros. I'm tempted by a borderless screen now to do away with aspect ratio problems.

You’ll still have the problem as your screen will undoubtably be a 16:9 ratio, meaning you’ll still have the projected black bars top and bottom. If your screen is CinemaScope, you will have black bars left and right.

The only ideal solution to masking issues is by having a permanent fixed screen with adjustable masking (like I have), otherwise you will have a compromise.

Because of the way a projected image works it benefits from black borders to increase the perceived contrast of the image, and allows you to project a clean sharp edge to the image if there is any overspill free from bloom.

There is good reason why all cinemas use black borders.

I have a Elite Screens edge- free screen and I love it. Borders on a screen for in-home use are plain ugly

Some people might think having a tv on wheels, trailing wires, a christmas tree year round and a bed in the same room as your home theatre is ugly.... some people understand how a projected image works.

Some people might think having a tv on wheels, trailing wires, a christmas tree year round and a bed in the same room as your home theatre is ugly.... some people understand how a projected image works.

I couldn't have the tree all year round, it get's in the way of pulling my (black bordered) screen all the way down. Well, that was till my daughter DID pull it all the way down today, and now it won't go back up! Oh well, just have to get that attic conversion done sooner than later. Oh, and when I build that, the old setup is going in the bedroom. But will that be a cinema in the bedroom, or a bed in the cinema?

I couldn't have the tree all year round, it get's in the way of pulling my (black bordered) screen all the way down. Well, that was till my daughter DID pull it all the way down today, and now it won't go back up! Oh well, just have to get that attic conversion done sooner than later. Oh, and when I build that, the old setup is going in the bedroom. But will that be a cinema in the bedroom, or a bed in the cinema?
8:55am, breakfast and MMA on big screen. Curtains open, lights on in the kitchen, edge-free screen and picture just pops nevertheless! Good times!
20180211_085528.jpg

So having a borderless screen is a complete no-no? I have dark grey walls.

So having a borderless screen is a complete no-no? I have dark grey walls.

Having grey walls is going to help your black levels and your contrast a lot.

The wall my screen is hung on is grey, but even black painted walls wouldn't look as black as the border of a black 'veltex' style border as it absorbs all the light, improves the perceived contrast and cleans up the edge of the image that you can allow a slight overspill of.

Nothing is a complete no no - just every choice you make has an impact on the image quality you get.

8:55am, breakfast and MMA on big screen. Curtains open, lights on in the kitchen, edge-free screen and picture just pops nevertheless! Good times!
20180211_085528-jpg.978217

Yes the image is bright shame your not helping it any with the white border you've created at the edge of the screen that goes straight onto white walls...

The bloom this creates would also be unacceptable to many enthusiasts which is why at a minimum black borders are suggested.
294b82e943ffbf09d26dad70c7be072e.jpg

This is what a screen with black borders looks like....

860D92DD-B34E-4177-95E7-69F512F125CA.jpeg

@mb3195

Here's my current setup, no screen borders with grey wall. Feel free to critique as I'm by no means an enthusiast, black levels look great to my eyes.

IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Always difficult to judge based on photos. It comes down to what you’re happy with. Personally, within my room I wouldn’t be able to live with the reflection from your unit at the bottom of the screen or the (black/grey) bars on your cinema scope format. But that is in my completely dedicated cinema room, I’d probably be able to deal with it if it was a multi purpose room.

The problem with this game (Av), is that you can always strive for perfection, but the closer to perfection you get, the harder it is to gain minimal improvements and the more expensive it tends to get.

The main thing is to be happy yourself.

I couldn't agree more. Do you think my examples above will change drastically using a drop down borderless flexwhite? Wall will still be grey behind.

Basically I'm put off by cheaper tab-tensioned drop down displays and have found a premium screen for a very reasonable price, it is however flexwhite.

I would choose a fixed display but it is a TV space also.

The other issue is that once showtime is over, projector is off, and lights are on you are left with this big ugly Samsung LED tv looking like screen hanging on your wall. My screen without edges almost becomes invisible when PJ is off and can barely tell it from the rest of the wall

I couldn't agree more. Do you think my examples above will change drastically using a drop down borderless flexwhite? Wall will still be grey behind.

Basically I'm put off by cheaper tab-tensioned drop down displays and have found a premium screen for a very reasonable price, it is however flexwhite.

I would choose a fixed display but it is a TV space also.

Is it a reAct screen? If so, yes it will be better. I’ve not seen one myself but heard great things about them.

The other issue is that once showtime is over, projector is off, and lights are on you are left with this big ugly Samsung LED tv looking like screen hanging on your wall. My screen without edges almost becomes invisible when PJ is off and can barely tell it from the rest of the wall

Yes but you still have to look at a ugly TV on wheels an ugly Christmas tree, a ugly mess of cables and a bed year round in your viewing room... and your black levels are non existent.

I don’t think an edge less screen will look great if it’s fixed regardless of being borderless or not. Why not go for a recessed pull down screen if being used as a main living room? When it’s up you won’t see it at all.

Is the above screen linked likely to be worse than my straight onto borderless grey wall at present?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom