1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no 36 inch CRT HDTV in the US?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Wilt, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I own a 36 inch Tosh CRT and when Sky start their HD service I would like to buy another CRT of the same size. But when I look at some the big name TV manufacturers US websites, their CRTs go up to 34 inches. Are HD Tubes bigger than SD tubes?

Kind regards

Wil

2. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think they measure the visible tube size over there. Or is it that we do? I cant remember. So the same size TV will be an inch or two different on paper in UK than in US.
    Anyway im sure i saw some HDTVs around the 36" mark when i was over there.

3. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    US inches are bigger than European inches :) On the cardboard box of my old Sony TV it says: "27'' (29'' Europe/Asia)". I would expect that the wiidescreen US 34'' would be sold as 36'' in Europe.
    The biggest 16:9 CRT TV I've seen in Canada was 38''. I was afraid to ask about the weight.
    Anyway, I would definitely advise not to buy a US TV for use in Europe. NTSC market TV sets, especially CRT, cannot work with 50Hz (or 50fps for flat panel/DLP).

4. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In US size of the tube has to list visible picture area and not whole glass. That is why 36" in US is the same as 38" everywhere else. This law only applies to CRT TV's. Everything else is listed the same all over the world.

5. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks gents.

apul. I only saw 36 inch 4:3 ratio TV.

beeblebrox. I will definately not buy a US tv. I was worried a 36 inch tv will not be made for Europe because the tubes might be bigger than an SD one.
    So my 36 tosh is a classed as 34 in the US. So that means I might be able to look forward to a Tosh Picture Frame 4 posibbly HD capable.

6. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are looking to go HD then why not go digital i.e. plasma, DLP instead of CRT analog. To get the best out of HD you really want to be having a pure digital signal, plus 36" CRTs are huge!

7. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody happen to know whether American CRT HDTV sets are 50Hz compatible? I'm curious with regard to the encoding of next gen DVDs, which in theory could contain a selection of 24, 50 and 60Hz material all on the same disc. The question is, would an American HDTV be able to handle a 50Hz signal, or will 50Hz HD material be subject to standards conversion à la DVD? The new European HDTV-Ready label requires that European HDTV sets accept 720p/1080i at 50Hz, 59.94Hz and 60Hz minimum. I don't know whether that is also true of US HDTVs.

8. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Neelix.

I saw my friends Pioneer plasma last week which is connected to a Denon DVD player via HDMI. Pictures look great upscaled to 1125i. But I still think HD CRTs will give better pictures as they do now when watching sat broadcasts. I could be proved wrong though, not seen true HD on CRT and compared it with Plasma. Does anyone else out there think Plasma pics will beat CRT pics when viewing HD?

9. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is no requirement to support 50Hz on US HDTV's. However, some do. US HDTV's must support 24, 30, 59.94Hz and 60Hz.

10. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen any US TV set, HD or not, that supports 50Hz. Of course, I haven't seen or read about all TV sets. :)

P.S. Are you sure there are requirements to support 24 and 30 Hz? I don't think I've seen this in any TV specs?

11. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many Plasmas and LCD's support 50Hz. Also 99% of display products from Chinese brands support 50Hz and PAL. For example Apex, Westinghouse, Sampo and many more.

In Canada you only get about 50% of products sold in US.

Yes, I am sure about 24 and 30Hz support. All US products have to support all 18 ATSC standards. It does not mean they have to display it natively but have to be able to accept it. The reason that there is 18, is becuase all the resolutions support different frame rates. Ie 720 at 24p, 30p and 60p. 1080 at 24p, 30p and 30i(60Hz) and 480 at 24p, 30p, 30i(60Hz) and 60p.