Question Why No 21:9 TV's

gadget man

Think about it all movies well 90% are widescreen/scope ratio we should have 21:9 TV's. I know Phillips once tried but i think should make a comeback, i would buy one i only watch movies.

Russ_64

I think the answer may be that a TV is mainly used to watch, well TV and all broadcast channels are still 16:9. What you are asking for is really a monitor that is 21:9 for video only.

gadget man

I think the answer may be that a TV is mainly used to watch, well TV and all broadcast channels are still 16:9. What you are asking for is really a monitor that is 21:9 for video only.
Yes but normal TV can still be watched just with black bars at the sides. who cares about watching soaps with a smaller ratio.

Rodders53

I wish they'd stop making TV programmes in 21:9 as my 16:9 set displays black bands on top and bottom.

{Hmmm. I recall saying something similar about 16:9 programmes on my 4:3 TV set.}

Little demand vs the cost of development is the most obvious reason. Had the demand been there the Philips offering would have been widely mimicked.

PJs zoom lenses and screens with masks are probably the choice of many who want a cinematic experience?

Let the debate begin (again).

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Think about it all movies well 90% are widescreen/scope ratio we should have 21:9 TV's. I know Phillips once tried but i think should make a comeback, i would buy one i only watch movies.
Well, one of the reasons we got widescreen ratios was Hollywood needed to get people into the cinema thanks to 4:3 TV's (allegedly).

Since TV content is viewed on a TV in a home, then we got 4:3 and sloooooowly 16:9. Anything wider does not make sense for TV viewing.

Home Cinema rooms are not all that common and so worry Hollywood less (I bet they were over the moon 3D TV's died a death). If 21:9 TV's were in every home, you can bet they'd dream up something else only a cinema could do. They hate having such good quality discs and I'd wager hate being able to have Atmos in the home too.

The whole world of ratio's is a mess and it's been designed that way.

anlygi

I'd love one myself. Mainly as I would like larger than my 55" for films, but couldn't live with the size for regular TV viewing. Sitting 8ft away from a 75" wouldn't be pretty for SD content either... If I could get a TV that showed pillar-boxed 16:9 content in an area roughly the size of a 55", whilst opening up the full 21:9 for Blu-rays I'd be all over it! I'd even settle for a 75" 16:9 set that allowed me to reduce the size of the displayed image. It probably exists on some TV out there but I haven't investigated in any detail.

gibbsy

Clever. But I don't want speakers anyway. I've never minded the black bars, my mate on the other hand hates them and will watch all aspect ratios stretched to fit the screen. Now he thinks everyone is obese, even Posh Spice.

If you do have a 21:9 TV that's fixed and not a clever one like the LG then there's still going to be some form of stretching or you'll have to have the bars on the side with 16:9. It will probably be a niche market and expensive. I think the status quo will remain.

Top Bottom