1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why mod a xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by iZombine, Jan 23, 2005.

1. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What are the advantages of modding a xbox?

If modded will you still be able to play games on xbox live?

Thanks

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    depending on how you mod it (and sometimes whether you have been on live already), will determine whether you can go on live.

There are advantages that you can run XBMC which is an excellent video/pictures/mp3 player, and you can run the xbox in high definition mode (great if you have a high definition display)

The disadvantages are that it can be expensive, it voids your warranty, and can cause interferance with Xbox Live if done incorrectly.

3. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ok thanks,

I don't think i'll bother.

The Xbox 2 is supposed to feature those sort of things anyway.

4. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Why wait?!!! Xbox media centre is a brilliant app, its turned the xbox into the most used console/computer that I've ever owned!

Mine has been modded and I use live everyday - though there are new complications in this area that you would have to read up on. I really didnt think it was that exspensive as you dont really need a larger hardrive - I just use the standard one.

Even if I got banned from live, I still wouldnt feel too bad about buying a new xbox just for live and leaving the old one for the media centre.

As you can probably tell, I cant recomend it enough! (and I didnt even mention emulators!)

5. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can you recommend any website's where i can get more information on modding my xbox, media centre and emulators.

Why add a new hard drive?

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Xbox Scene

Bigger Hard Drive = more storage, so more vids, games, apps etc.

7. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is possible to store your games on the hard drive?

Thanks for the link.

8. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have to admit, it really is an awesome experience playing high definition Halo 2. There are lots of advantages to chipping and xbox, far more so than I mentioned above. However, the legal situation does take a nose dive as soon as you start listing many of the options available.

There are alternatives to xbox live that I feel are pretty good options, just incase something does go wrong and you get banned from live.

9. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What are the options?

If your aloud to list them.

10. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can put games (that you alreay own of course) on the hard drive for faster loading times and modding of them. e.g. get all the correct kits etc for pro evo 4

link your xbox to a comp or network and play files from the network on the TV with Xbox media centre.

hi defintion - amazing.

emulators - e.g. snes, n64

11. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know a rough cost for getting an xbox modded as I am looking to get one as I own a PS2/PC/PSP and just want an xbox for some of the tom clancy games and splinter cell games as when I have seen the running they play so smoothly also I want it for the emulators

12. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Emulated Goldeneye on the xbox would be great.

Where can i get my xbox modded?

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Cost depends on whether or not you fit the chip and/or other mods yourself or if you pay the company you get the parts from to do it. Check out these sites for prices and whats available:
    Bald Bouncer
    WhiteDog
    Xbox Mod.co.uk
    Team Executer
    All of these site should be of some use to to, the last one is pretty in-depth and aimed at the 'modding junkie' rather than a beginer

Plus this also may interest you all: Euro Copyrights which i think only covers PS2's but you never know.

14. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks IAMTHEONE,

I won't be doing it, i don't want to fry my xbox and myself.

15. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,947
    Modding my xbox was the best thing I have ever done. I had mine done at

Xbox Mod.co.uk

16. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Russell are you still able to play on xbox live?

17. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the help everyone, i'm going to get my Xbox modded next week.

I've been trying to find a website where i can download ROM's but so far every site i've been to just takes me to another site and then that sire does the same.

Any suggestions to where i can get ROM's?

18. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Chipping my xbox saved it from gathering dust in the corner.

XBMC is the mutts nutts - great for movies and media streaming.

And storing my own games, music, movies on an 80Gb HDD.

SO GOOD!!!! Why didn't Microsoft give us these features straight out of the box? they'd have sold 1,000's more

19. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    We can't answer that. Forum Rules. :suicide:

20. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OH

Ok thanks

21. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They probably didn't give you the options to store media on the XBOX directly because it would make piracy even easier and harder for them to block users on Live.

Another reason for modding XBOX is to allow you to run Linux on it. There's also a modified version of Windows being made for it, and when they finally finish writing drivers for these OS's to make full use of the XBOX's hardware it can be used as a fully functioning budget PC

22. MasterKayin

MasterKayin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been told that you cannot play on XBOX live with a modded box. That kinda ticks me off, though. Is there some kind of chip or something along those lines that tricks LIVE into thinking it's an unmodded box? I'm debating over the loss of LIVE which I hold so dear, and the expansion of a drive, which, as I'm hearing, is an awesome addition...

23. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The key here is that you cannot go on xbox live when the chip is on. All the modern chips can be switched on and off. When the switch is turned off the box behaves exactly the same as an original box so xbox live is not a problem, this does prevent you from playing 'backup' games on live, which is in my opinion a good thing.

Make sure you read up on xbox live banning, as there has recently been a new spate of banning. It is now believed (at least by some) that when you log into live, MS log your hard drive serial number and you xbox eeprom (basically the box's serial no.) and marry these two together. If these two do not match up at any time then you will be banned - this means if you already have been on live it is much more difficult to change hard drives.

If anybody else has better info on this subject - feel free to add, cos I have no direct experience of this only what I have read.

24. MasterKayin

MasterKayin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if that is the case (and I already have LIVE), couldn't I just cancel my subscription and then switch out the drives, then re-enter the subscription so that it starts all over and the two serial numbers are re-married and it'd work? Or is there more to this than I'm seein?

25. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    hmmm, not sure if that would work, that sounds too simple! It would still see that your eeprom is connecting with a different hard drive and that would result in a ban. You can buy new eeproms that come from other xbox's which essentially gives your xbox a new identity, you can then add a new harddrive.

You dont need a new hardrive, I have never bothered, the only real reason I can see is to store game backups and maybe media.

If you go to xbox-scene and read the live section in the forum, there is absaloutely loads of info.

26. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Unfortunately cancelling your subscription would not allow you to unmarry your HD serial number and EEPROM. Thus if you want to keep live, you will have to keep your hard drive.

However, not being able to upgrade the hard drive isnt the end of the world. The only things that will not fit on the prefitted hard drive are game backups, so you can put them on dvd's instead. All other xbox apps/emulators will still work.

27. mpsyorkshire

mpsyorkshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to play on xbox live i believe you can get a swithch installed when you get your box chipped.

chipping your box allows for a bigger hdd to be installed this allows you to put films, games and music on your xbox for imediate playback (of course you should already own all copyrighted meterial),

the draw back is you cant go on xbox live. This is because you are running a different BIOS than is installed on a out of box xbox. a switch allows the xbox to boot using the original microsoft BIOS therefore allowing for use of xbox live.
    I believe logging on xbox live to play halo 2 "bans" your IP from live even if you have the switch is this true as i am thinking of getting a switch on my already modded box

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The whole "banning" thing came up when Halo 2 was released. Generally people were getting banned even when they had disabled the chip with a switch. Several theories flew about and the most plausable one (which fits my senario) is that you are ok as long as you haven't modded after you first signed up to live with your box. I'm not even sure if the Halo 2 update was what caused the bannings or if they just waited until that date so that everyone would buy the game & then find that they are banned!

As Smokingreen said, the theory is that M$ records your eeprom serial number & Hard disk serial number on their database and they marry this up with your X-Box Live details. If you swap both then in theory you should be OK as the database just sees that you are using your account on another X-Box (which you are allowed to do). If you just swap the HD (which is a very common mod) then the marriage between the eeprom & HD is divorced and the ban (on the box not your account) in enforced.

Like I say - as far as I know that is only still theory, but it fits my situation.

29. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I play halo 2 on live and have got a chip installed.