Why Marantz and Denon only have Dolby Atmos in their 7+ Receivers?

enb14

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering why Denon and Marantz only have Dolby Atmos (and their equivalent in DTS) for their Receivers that have more than 7 Channels (7.2, 9.2, etc).

I know that Pioneer and Onkyo have receivers with 5.1 and Atmos, also even some soundbars which are pretty much stereo have atmos and also some TVs have atmos, so the amount of speakers doesn't seems to be the issue with Atmos but if you want an Marantz/Denon amp with Atmos you have to go the 7.x+ route, but why?

Here is a 5.2 Onkyo receiver that supports Atmos, but to get it you have to forgo the surround speakers so a 3.2.2 configuration.

Screenshot 2022-03-10 111052.png

Onkyo TX-SR393DAB-EUEX Datasheet

Welcome to the Forum.

5.1 amps are surround sound only. There are few exceptions but you do have to give up the surrounds to accomplish Atmos. A good Atmos set requires a minimum of seven speakers in a 5.1.2 configuration. 5.1 AV amps are considered to be entry and priced accordingly with less amps and channels available.

The Onkyo receiver allows for some unusual "Atmos" configurations. However, this is also in the manual: "Selectable at the time of inputting Dolby Atmos audio format when height speakers are connected. This mode faithfully reproduces the stereophonic sound design recorded in the Dolby Atmos audio format."

Attachments

• Onkyo TX-SR393 Atmos.png
    Onkyo TX-SR393 Atmos.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 61
Thanks guys, sorry for not quoting all of you, so in other words if I only have a 5.1 speaker setup, I shouldn't be worried about getting Atmos at all?

Thanks guys, sorry for not quoting all of you, so in other words if I only have a 5.1 speaker setup, I shouldn't be worried about getting Atmos at all?
You can get an AVR with Dolby Atmos height virtualisation…

No you shouldn't worry at all and especially if you have no intention of putting ceiling speakers in. I only run a 5.1 system in my livingroom and will never put ceiling speakers in. In my livingroom a 5.1 system is all i will ever need and i'm still enjoying it. Also the Dolby Atmos height virtualisation thing is in my mind a gimmick and you will never get the true effect that Atmos gives you from having the speakers in the ceiling as intended.

You do have the option of getting Atmos modules to sit atop your L+R mains, if you don't intend on drillig holes in your ceiling.

You can get an AVR with Dolby Atmos height virtualisation…
Yes, but that's why I'm asking here, in order to get virtualization with Denon/Marantz, I need to go the 7.1 amps, which I don't need because I only use 5.1, some Pioneer and Onkyo have Atmos with 5.1 but doesn't have eARC, so at the end, they are even worse.

No you shouldn't worry at all and especially if you have no intention of putting ceiling speakers in. I only run a 5.1 system in my livingroom and will never put ceiling speakers in. In my livingroom a 5.1 system is all i will ever need and i'm still enjoying it. Also the Dolby Atmos height virtualisation thing is in my mind a gimmick and you will never get the true effect that Atmos gives you from having the speakers in the ceiling as intended.
That's another question that I would like to get answers, how virtual atmos sound, do they work or are they a mimic.
You do have the option of getting Atmos modules to sit atop your L+R mains, if you don't intend on drillig holes in your ceiling.
Yes, you are right, but unfortunately that means replacing my front speakers (Definitive Technology), so that combo will cost me about $2,000, so that sounds like a no for me right now.

Dolby Virtualisation is a gimmick. It purports to give a pseudo Atmos effect but is pretty ineffective when compared to a full speaker configuration. If that's what you want but don't yet have the speakers in a 5.1 you may just as well go for an Atmos soundbar.

Dolby Virtualisation is a gimmick. It purports to give a pseudo Atmos effect but is pretty ineffective when compared to a full speaker configuration. If that's what you want but don't yet have the speakers in a 5.1 you may just as well go for an Atmos soundbar.

I already got a decent 5.1 (Definitive Technology), getting a soundbar would be a regression to me.

So if Virtualization is a gimmick, that means, getting the Denon AVR-S760H over AVR-S660H would be a waste of money?

I already got a decent 5.1 (Definitive Technology), getting a soundbar would be a regression to me.

So if Virtualization is a gimmick, that means, getting the Denon AVR-S760H over AVR-S660H would be a waste of money?
I'd certainly look at my budget and upgrade to the X1700 which would give you a full 5.1.2 Atmos set up. That's an improvement over a 5.1 with Virtual Atmos for sure.

I'd certainly look at my budget and upgrade to the X1700 which would give you a full 5.1.2 Atmos set up. That's an improvement over a 5.1 with Virtual Atmos for sure.

I only have 5.1, getting into 5.1.2 means to me to expend $2000+ just in speakers which I'm not gonna do right now, 5.1 is fine, so my question is if virtual Atmos will give me a good upgrade in comparison to non Atmos (AVR-S760H)

I only have 5.1, getting into 5.1.2 means to me to expend $2000+ just in speakers which I'm not gonna do right now, 5.1 is fine, so my question is if virtual Atmos will give me a good upgrade in comparison to non Atmos (AVR-S760H)
Gibbsy has also already confirmed that virtual Atmos is a gimmick and suggested that if you are happy with that then by all means go for it. Only you can decide at the end of the day if it's going to be a waste of money over your current 5.1 surround system?

In fairness only you can answer that question as it's your decision. You've asked for advice it's up to you if you take it or not. Personally I would stick with what you currently have and upgrade when more affordable as you may be disappointed.

@enb14 - I don't want to put you off, but have a watch of this video and read around on this site before making a decision:

Gibbsy has also already confirmed that virtual Atmos is a gimmick and suggested that if you are happy with that then by all means go for it. Only you can decide at the end of the day if it's going to be a waste of money over your current 5.1 surround system?
I don't know because never had atmos, so I can't decide by myself, that's why I'm asking here if atmos on 5.1 is good or a gimmick, apparently is a gimmick :(

In fairness only you can answer that question as it's your decision. You've asked for advice it's up to you if you take it or not. Personally I would stick with what you currently have and upgrade when more affordable as you may be disappointed.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do, but if getting atmos means expend a lot of money for something that I'm not gonna see a decent improvement, then it's gonna be a waste of money.

I don't know because never had atmos, so I can't decide by myself, that's why I'm asking here if atmos on 5.1 is good or a gimmick, apparently is a gimmick
I've got a modest Atmos 5.1.2 set up. I use upfiring speakers and bough into them when they first came out some six or seven years ago. I'll never to back to a base speaker only set up such is the enjoyment and expansive element that Atmos brings.

It's not just those dedicated Atmos films or broadcasts but how the upmixing modes of Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X bring to the party. It adds a whole new dimension to old 5.1 soundtracks via those modes. To enjoy though you do have to have either in ceiling speakers, upfiring speakers or speakers mounted high on the front wall to get that experience.

Why would you have to get rid of your Definitive speakers if you want upfiring atmos speakers?

I guess if you upgrade so have to buy poweramps or go up the range of AVR to get models with amps for atmos speakers built im, plus speakers, it'll cost a fair bit, for me already had spare amps so basically just two pair of Q Acoustic 3010i so not exactly breaking the bank...

I've got a modest Atmos 5.1.2 set up. I use upfiring speakers and bough into them when they first came out some six or seven years ago. I'll never to back to a base speaker only set up such is the enjoyment and expansive element that Atmos brings.

It's not just those dedicated Atmos films or broadcasts but how the upmixing modes of Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X bring to the party. It adds a whole new dimension to old 5.1 soundtracks via those modes. To enjoy though you do have to have either in ceiling speakers, upfiring speakers or speakers mounted high on the front wall to get that experience.

Upfiring will be my only option, ceiling speakers is a no here were I leave because the ceiling in my countries are pure concrete, no drywall.

I see, so is worth but I'll need a 5.1.2 speakers in order to get a good Atmos but unfortunately that's too expensive for me right now.

Why would you have to get rid of your Definitive speakers if you want upfiring atmos speakers?

I guess if you upgrade so have to buy poweramps or go up the range of AVR to get models with amps for atmos speakers built im, plus speakers, it'll cost a fair bit, for me already had spare amps so basically just two pair of Q Acoustic 3010i so not exactly breaking the bank...

Because if I choose Upfiring atmos speakers from Definitive Technologies, I have to get their new Front Tower Speakers because they only sell upfiring atmos speakers for their newer models of From Tower Speakers.

Why can't you get angled Atmos speakers and place them ontop of your existing speakers?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220312-001225.png
    Screenshot_20220312-001225.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 73
Make a mould, so fits shape of the speaker with flat top?

Or fit small shelf on wall above speaker and place speaker on that?

Make a mould, so fits shape of the speaker with flat top?

Or fit small shelf on wall above speaker and place speaker on that?

Yes, I'm thinking on something like that (I can't drill the wall because is not my house and the walls are made of bricks), but I have to use another brand of speakers and also how and where to put them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom