1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why lord isn´t dts es??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by keyser, Jul 22, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In these special editions dvd´s like the lord of the rings one, I can´t figure why they don´t use dts discrete, since they have the stuff on many dvd's allready, space isn´t an opsticle. I figure on the standard ones they should have dolby digital and maybe french and something something dialogue and subtitles... but on the special edition ones they should have dts es and highter bits and on as many dvd´s as it would take. The standard model would be for the mass market and the special ones for the home cinema freaks. Anyone agree or am I talking crap?? Anyone seen the difference on gattaca on superbit vs. standard??

2. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree keyser, ;)

3. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "In these special editions dvd´s like the lord of the rings one, I can´t figure why they don´t use dts discrete, since they have the stuff on many dvd's allready..."

Heavy-handed sarcasm mode ON

...oh, yes. indeed! ...there are, literally, dozens and dozens - if not hundreds, perhaps even thousands - of DVDs featuring dts soundtracks and most of those are of the ES (discrete) variety...

Heavy-handed sarcasm mode OFF

...ah pshaw!...

(signed) Casual Passer-By

. . . :eek: . . .

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you misunderstood me, I meant the movie and the extras are allready on many dvd´s not on a single one, therefore there is enough space for dts discrete sound, what they skip they can just put on the extra dvd, comprende ? :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree. Probably less than 0.01% of the DVD buying public can replay extended surround correctly so it seems unfair that the 99.9% of the buyers should subsidise the tiny minority, unless you are talking about paying a premium for this format.

It would be an interesting excercise to release a popular film on DVD at £12 for the basic film in Dolby Digital, £15 for the film and extras or £20 to include all the various sound formats to see what the sales figures are.

It would save me a lot as I wouldn't have to pay for extras that I don't watch or sound formats that I don't bother with.

6. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say ian that the people who are using the new format would probably be prepared to pay a bit of a premium for the dts-es being encoded on their discs, i would for 1 has long has it was,nt overpriced.
    Afterall, they make the equipment to hear it, lets have some discs. ;)

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
  8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    latest hcc lists lotr as dd5.1ex ,no mention of dts at all cant see in hcc a release date but i seem to recall august the 6th bieng mentioned somewhere

9. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, the 99,something% of people would just buy the standard edition, not the special edition, as I think that also 90some% of people don´t care for the extras for extra cash. And dts es is ofourse backwards compatible so most people would get good dts sound. I think that a whole bunch of people would be happier with special edition releases in higher bit rates and dts-es, similar to the superbit releases. I agree with the extras, I never watch the stuff.